Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking

Default What's for dinner on Cinco de Mayo?

Felice Friese > wondered in message
. ..
> I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm building mine
> around a quart of my son-in-law's tomatillo salsa that
> I tucked away in the freezer.
>
> Maybe yer basic rolled chicken enchilada, maybe a
> layered tortilla casserole. Ask me on Saturday.
>
> But whatever it is, it will be preceded by Margaritas
> on the balc, weather permitting, and accompanied by
> refried beans, sour cream, grated cheddar and shredded
> lettuce. And whatever else seems appropriate.
>
> And it will be followed by a siesta until bedtime.

The fiesta-clamoring Clan Ranger'll be celebrating with:
Chuletas de Puerco con Chile Verde
Azzor Rojos
Pinto Beans with sausage and jalapenos

The Ranger
----
Chuletas de Puerco con Chile Verde)

INGREDIENTS:
5 pork chops, 3/4" to 1" thick
salt and pepper
1/4 C. flour
1 Tbs. cooking oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped (approx. 3/4 cup)
5 Serano chiles, (approx. 1 cup), chopped fine
1 can Mexican-style sliced stewed tomatoes, 14.5 oz. (approx. 2
cups)
2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic, crushed

METHOD:
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.

Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper; dredge in flour to coat.
Heat oil in skillet and lightly brown pork chops on both sides.
Place pork chops in 9" X 13" Pyrex baking dish. Liberally layer
chopped onion and diced green chiles onto the top of each pork
chop, covering evenly. Sprinkle covered chops with oregano, onion
powder, and crushed garlic. Spoon stewed tomatoes into spaces
between pork chops.

Place dish and contents in oven and bake at 275°F for two hours.
Serve with fresh corn tortillas, crème fraiche, and guacamole on
side.

++++

AZZOR ROJOS

INGREDIENTS:
2 Tbs. Olive oil
1 cup White rice
½ cup Onions, chopped
5 Garlic cloves, minced
½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. CUMIN
1/8 to ½ tsp. Chili powder
2 lg. Tomatoes, chopped
1 ½ cups Beef broth
1/3 cup Peas, thawed if frozen
2 Tbs. Pimiento, chopped
Red peppers, to garnish

METHOD:
Heat oil in a iron skillet over medium heat until hot. Add rice.
Cook & stir for 2 minutes or until the rice turns opaque. Add
onions; cook & stir for 1 minute. Stir in garlic, salt, cumin,
and chili powder. Add tomatoes; cook and stirring for 2 minutes.
Add broth; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and
cover. Simmer approximately 15 minutes or until the rice is
almost tender. Stir in peas and chopped pimiento. Cover and
cook 2-4 minutes until rice is tender and all liquid has been
absorbed. Garnish with the red peppers if desired.

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb. pinto beans
6 Beef hot links, sliced
1 Medium onion, chopped
1 Garlic clove, chopped
1 tsp. Crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. garlic, crushed
1 tsp. pepper
6 Jalapenos, chopped

PINTO BEANS with Sausage and Peppers

Directions
Soak beans in a bowl of warm water for approx. 2 hours; drain.
Cook beans in new water on low heat. Sauté hot links, onion,
peppers, and garlic together. Add sautéed ingredients to beans in
large stock pot; Add black pepper, to taste. Cook slowly until
beans are done. Add a little (beef or chicken) stock, if needed,
to keep ingredients covered. When beans are done, stir thoroughly.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> [...]

> absorbed. Garnish with the red peppers if desired.
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> 1 lb. pinto beans
> 6 Beef hot links, sliced
> 1 Medium onion, chopped
> 1 Garlic clove, chopped
> 1 tsp. Crushed red pepper flakes
> 1 tsp. garlic, crushed
> 1 tsp. pepper
> 6 Jalapenos, chopped
>

> PINTO BEANS with Sausage and Peppers
>
> Directions
> Soak beans in a bowl of warm water for approx. 2 hours; drain.
> Cook beans in new water on low heat. Sauté hot links, onion,
> peppers, and garlic together. Add sautéed ingredients to beans in
> large stock pot; Add black pepper, to taste. Cook slowly until
> beans are done. Add a little (beef or chicken) stock, if needed,
> to keep ingredients covered. When beans are done, stir thoroughly.

Very interesting variation on some old themes showing innovation at it's
best. Looks good to me!