Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default A long siesta... inspire me w/ camarones

Man I hope this group didn't die. I know you are out there lurking... I
haven't been inspired to write anything either so no problemo.

Feel like shrimp this weekend, anyone have some ideas? I like head-off
skin on shrimp med-large. I usually rip the veins and the back and leave
the skin on.

Now what should I do with them?

Thanks,
Brad
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sonoran Dude > wrote in message
. ..
[snip]
> Feel like shrimp this weekend, anyone have some ideas?

[snip]

Camarones Diablo

METHOD:
16 large raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 TBS. olive oil
1/4 cup onion, red, chopped
2 TBS. tequila
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
3 TBS. New Mexican chili powder
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 oz. goat cheese
5 Jalapeno peppers, sliced with seeds
Salt and pepper to taste

METHOD:
Heat olive oil in a 12" non-stick skillet until oil is
smoking. Add shrimp and cook for two minutes, flipping
occasionally to finish on all sides. Then add in onions and
continue stirring. Add in chopped garlic and jalapeno slices.
Beware burning garlic and shrimp. Add chili powder and coat shrimp
evenly.
Add tequila and cilantro; flambe until flame subsides.
Add in cream and reduce heat to low.
Take shrimp out of sauce while sauce thickens. Beware
overcooking shrimp.
Check sauce for flavor, and add more chili powder, salt
and/or pepper to taste.
Plate shrimp and top with sauce and cheese. Add rice and
pinto beans as sides.

The Ranger
---
arriving safely, in an attractive and well-preserved body. Rather
one should skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the
other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out while screaming
'WOO HOO! What a ride!'"

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> Sonoran Dude > wrote in message
> . ..
> [snip]
>> Feel like shrimp this weekend, anyone have some ideas?

> [snip]
>
> Camarones Diablo
>
> METHOD:
> 16 large raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
> 4 cloves garlic, chopped
> 1 TBS. olive oil
> 1/4 cup onion, red, chopped
> 2 TBS. tequila
> 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
> 3 TBS. New Mexican chili powder
> 1/2 cup heavy cream
> 4 oz. goat cheese
> 5 Jalapeno peppers, sliced with seeds
> Salt and pepper to taste
>
> METHOD:
> Heat olive oil in a 12" non-stick skillet until oil is
> smoking. Add shrimp and cook for two minutes, flipping
> occasionally to finish on all sides. Then add in onions and
> continue stirring. Add in chopped garlic and jalapeno slices.
> Beware burning garlic and shrimp. Add chili powder and coat shrimp
> evenly.
> Add tequila and cilantro; flambe until flame subsides.
> Add in cream and reduce heat to low.
> Take shrimp out of sauce while sauce thickens. Beware
> overcooking shrimp.
> Check sauce for flavor, and add more chili powder, salt
> and/or pepper to taste.
> Plate shrimp and top with sauce and cheese. Add rice and
> pinto beans as sides.
>
> The Ranger
> ---
> "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
> arriving safely, in an attractive and well-preserved body. Rather
> one should skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the
> other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out while screaming
> 'WOO HOO! What a ride!'"

Flambe! sweet! I knew I had fire insurance for a reason! I'm not crazy
for cream based sauces but I may substitute that, using some lime juice
and a canned chipotle pepper in the skillet to add a smokey flavor to
the oil and tequila then toss in some finely grated hard Parmesan or
Romano with the chili powder to bind the sautée to the shrimp. I think
my Mexican grocer has some hard cheese I can use instead of the Italian
types.
After a few beers it's all good...
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
> Man I hope this group didn't die. I know you are out there lurking... I
> haven't been inspired to write anything either so no problemo.
>
> Feel like shrimp this weekend, anyone have some ideas? I like head-off
> skin on shrimp med-large. I usually rip the veins and the back and leave
> the skin on.
>
> Now what should I do with them?
>
> Thanks,
> Brad

To get the most out of the shrimp taste, being delicate as it is, I think
camaron al ajo is about the best way there is to cook shrimp. Butterfly raw
shrimp and sauté in olive oil and lots and lots of garlic. Serve with white
rice on the side, and doctor the hot sauce onto the rice while munching on
the shrimp for contrast.

Just my two-bits worth.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Fabulous shots!!!!

"That_Rich" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:33:46 -0700, "The Ranger"
> > wrote:
>
> >Sonoran Dude > wrote in message
> >[snip]
> >> Feel like shrimp this weekend, anyone have some ideas?

> >[snip]
> >
> >Camarones Diablo
> >
> >METHOD:
> > 16 large raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
> > 4 cloves garlic, chopped
> > 1 TBS. olive oil
> > 1/4 cup onion, red, chopped
> > 2 TBS. tequila
> > 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
> > 3 TBS. New Mexican chili powder
> > 1/2 cup heavy cream
> > 4 oz. goat cheese
> > 5 Jalapeno peppers, sliced with seeds
> > Salt and pepper to taste
> >
> >METHOD:
> > Heat olive oil in a 12" non-stick skillet until oil is
> >smoking. Add shrimp and cook for two minutes, flipping
> >occasionally to finish on all sides. Then add in onions and
> >continue stirring. Add in chopped garlic and jalapeno slices.
> >Beware burning garlic and shrimp. Add chili powder and coat shrimp
> >evenly.
> > Add tequila and cilantro; flambe until flame subsides.
> > Add in cream and reduce heat to low.
> > Take shrimp out of sauce while sauce thickens. Beware
> >overcooking shrimp.
> > Check sauce for flavor, and add more chili powder, salt
> >and/or pepper to taste.
> > Plate shrimp and top with sauce and cheese. Add rice and
> >pinto beans as sides.
> >

> Camaorones ala diavlo is one of my favorites.
> Thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a go soon.
>
> Cheers,
>
> RP©
> -
> Post your pix of Mexican Culinary bits at......
>
> http://www.pbase.com/that_rich/afmc

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
> Man I hope this group didn't die. I know you are out there lurking... I
> haven't been inspired to write anything either so no problemo.

Brad, I hope it doesn't either.

OT:
Shrimp, shell-on Latin style huh?
26-50, Fresh if possible and save the heads/torn shells for stock. You can
google for internet recipes and adjust according to taste.

1. A tequila lime cerviche (appropriately proportioned) with a few fresh
chopped chiles and cilantro is always nice . (BTW, How did those Pickled
reds come out?). Think of using Pineapple vinegar for another cerviche base
with a bit of Mexican sugar or some borrowed raw sugar from Starbucks.
Counter this with a roasted/charred salsa

2. Quick Brined in a salt, sugar, Allspice, Habanero chile, garlic,(cumin,
soy, ginger is/are permissible) drained, patted dry and fast grilled.

3. Marinade in a Tamarind/Anchiote recado for about 2 hours, pan grilled
and served with a nice fresh tropical style salsa and cold sliced melon
(cantaloupe or a honey dew ). If you use smaller size shrimp make a boat
out of the melon and fill it up. Grilled green onions

4. Let them swim in a mint recado then into the pan for 30-40 minutes or
so. Same for goes for a chimichurri sauce but I use a few green chiles and
cilantro instead of S. American style parsley and oil. be sure to save some
of either for a side

5. If you have some shell-off, How about deep fried in a blue corn/ancho
chile batter and served with deep fried thin sliced sweet potato chips.

6. Sautéed in butter and garlic and chile powder, served with rustically
chopped red onion, tomato and avocado.

and on and on in true Forest Gump style..............

My best to all
d.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

That_Rich wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:47:14 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
> > wrote:
>
>> Fabulous shots!!!!
>>

> Thank Jack Tyler for all the shots in the "a.f.m-c" gallery as he
> submitted all except one.
> Anybody that wishes to add a photo to the gallery can email the photo
> to me with some basic descriptive information ...
>
> that_rich at hotmail dot com
>
> Please arrange email as needed
>
> Cheers,
>
> RP©
>

>>> Post your pix of Mexican Culinary bits at......
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/that_rich/afmc

Nice site, you should start a new post to let everyone know.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Man I hope this group didn't die. I know you are out there lurking... I
>> haven't been inspired to write anything either so no problemo.

> Brad, I hope it doesn't either.
>
> OT:
> Shrimp, shell-on Latin style huh?
> 26-50, Fresh if possible and save the heads/torn shells for stock. You can
> google for internet recipes and adjust according to taste.
>
> 1. A tequila lime cerviche (appropriately proportioned) with a few fresh
> chopped chiles and cilantro is always nice . (BTW, How did those Pickled
> reds come out?). Think of using Pineapple vinegar for another cerviche base
> with a bit of Mexican sugar or some borrowed raw sugar from Starbucks.
> Counter this with a roasted/charred salsa
>
> 2. Quick Brined in a salt, sugar, Allspice, Habanero chile, garlic,(cumin,
> soy, ginger is/are permissible) drained, patted dry and fast grilled.
>
> 3. Marinade in a Tamarind/Anchiote recado for about 2 hours, pan grilled
> and served with a nice fresh tropical style salsa and cold sliced melon
> (cantaloupe or a honey dew ). If you use smaller size shrimp make a boat
> out of the melon and fill it up. Grilled green onions
>
> 4. Let them swim in a mint recado then into the pan for 30-40 minutes or
> so. Same for goes for a chimichurri sauce but I use a few green chiles and
> cilantro instead of S. American style parsley and oil. be sure to save some
> of either for a side
>
> 5. If you have some shell-off, How about deep fried in a blue corn/ancho
> chile batter and served with deep fried thin sliced sweet potato chips.
>
> 6. Sautéed in butter and garlic and chile powder, served with rustically
> chopped red onion, tomato and avocado.
>
> and on and on in true Forest Gump style..............
>
> My best to all
> d.

Dam! you out did yourself here... Thanks for the recipes. I used to be
in the seafood business... My favorite way to prepare shrimp/prawns
depending on which side of the pond you are on is zipping the backs with
a sharp paring knife and leaving the shell intact. I must admit we don't
get fresh head on prawns here very often so after the heads have been
commercially removed there is a perfect hole to place the knife in and
zip the blade back to the tail taking the vein out at the same time. You
can buy P&D raw shrimp but they dry out much too quickly under fire
because they remove the shell.

Personally I love the vein but most people get squeamish. The main
reason I leave the shell on but split down the back is to allow the
marinade or sauce to come in contact with the meat. Since I grill or
sautée the shrimp 90% of the time the shell helps keep them warm, moist
and tasty while plating. If zipped and cooked correctly your guests
should be able to easily pull the shell off very easily.

IMHO the key to any shrimp preparation shell on or off is to cook them
medium rare. Splitting the backs on the prawns will allow the meat to
"butterfly" or spread open indicating that they are done. It only takes
1 to 3 minutes to cook 21-25/LB size shrimp with high heat. If they are
opaque and spreading remove them.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> Gunner wrote:
>> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> Man I hope this group didn't die. I know you are out there lurking... I
>>> haven't been inspired to write anything either so no problemo.

>> Brad, I hope it doesn't either.
>>
>>> Personally I love the vein but most people get squeamish. The main

> reason I leave the shell on but split down the back is to allow the
> marinade or sauce to come in contact with the meat. Since I grill or
> sautée the shrimp 90% of the time the shell helps keep them warm, moist
> and tasty while plating. If zipped and cooked correctly your guests should
> be able to easily pull the shell off very easily.
>
> IMHO the key to any shrimp preparation shell on or off is to cook them
> medium rare. Splitting the backs on the prawns will allow the meat to
> "butterfly" or spread open indicating that they are done. It only takes 1
> to 3 minutes to cook 21-25/LB size shrimp with high heat. If they are
> opaque and spreading remove them.

Brad, you need to tell give us recipes then, squid, shell fishies, Sea
Urchins, scallops for sure, squat lobster????, abalone, how about crawfish?
I found a 5 lb bag cooked & frozen the other day for 20 bucks, that was a
bit too expensive to see how they tasted. Now those I will "suck the head
and eat the tail" on them. There is an "New Ager" in AZ that is building a
aquaponic system using the Aussie red tail, but I don't see many outside of
the Bayou country eating them so he will have to create a local market;
herbs and crawdads, ohh but I do like em,the po man shrimp. spent hours as
a kid catching em. Maybe show us how your knife skills and how to make
shrimp pops. what is/are your favorite seafood recipes?

Think about it.
de

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
>> Gunner wrote:
>>> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
>>> . ..
>>>
>>> Brad, I hope it doesn't either.

>> reason I leave the shell on but split down the back is to allow the
>> marinade or sauce to come in contact with the meat. Since I grill or
>> sautée the shrimp 90% of the time the shell helps keep them warm, moist
>> and tasty while plating. If zipped and cooked correctly your guests should
>> be able to easily pull the shell off very easily.
>>
>> IMHO the key to any shrimp preparation shell on or off is to cook them
>> medium rare. Splitting the backs on the prawns will allow the meat to
>> "butterfly" or spread open indicating that they are done. It only takes 1
>> to 3 minutes to cook 21-25/LB size shrimp with high heat. If they are
>> opaque and spreading remove them.

> Brad, you need to tell give us recipes then, squid, shell fishies, Sea
> Urchins, scallops for sure, squat lobster????, abalone, how about crawfish?
> I found a 5 lb bag cooked & frozen the other day for 20 bucks, that was a
> bit too expensive to see how they tasted. Now those I will "suck the head
> and eat the tail" on them. There is an "New Ager" in AZ that is building a
> aquaponic system using the Aussie red tail, but I don't see many outside of
> the Bayou country eating them so he will have to create a local market;
> herbs and crawdads, ohh but I do like em,the po man shrimp. spent hours as
> a kid catching em. Maybe show us how your knife skills and how to make
> shrimp pops. what is/are your favorite seafood recipes?
>
> Think about it.
> de

My all time favorite fish is a large rock fish grouper caught in the Sea
of Cortez called Baquetta. Cabrillo is the darker, smaller cousin. We
used to get these in bulk iced palletized bins gutted and head on.
We would fillet thousands of pounds a week and send the carcass to the
tallow vendors. As with any fish the cheek meat was superb so at the end
of the day I would go through the tallow buckets and cut all the cheeks
out. I would take these 1/4 lb or bigger medallions home and marinate
them in a can of El Pato Sauce and a little oil. They would grill up
moist on the mesquite fire and could serve these to people that didn't
"eat" fish. Tasted more like steak than fish. Great in soft tortilla
with the standard border food condiments.

I'm a big fan of large silver skin mackerels. The king mackerel or
Hawaiian Ono is another excellent fish for the grill. In Mexico they
have a smaller Sierra that is awesome.

Crawdads where never my favorite because of all the salt boil needed to
get them to taste good. (Don't forget to let them purge in some fresh
water first.) California was growing a larger crawdad that was much more
meaty but did not have the flavor of the Louisiana dads.

Scallops... two kinds bay and sea scallops. I never liked bay scallops
but working Christmas day one year for a sweat shop early in my seafood
career. We broke a gallon tub of bay scallops packing an order. I was
the warehouse manager so I asked an old black guy named Ernest who lived
near by if his wife wanted to come down and we could give her some stuff
to make lunch. We worked under the worst conditions and the cheap
******* I was working for would have had a cow if he had known I was
going to use some of his product to feed the crew. She took these
scallops and made crabcake like pancakes with cornmeal, egg, onion and
I'm sure bacon grease. They were hot and delicious and even better when
we opened up some cocktail sauce from the boss's inventory.

Sea scallops are the bomb! My favorite is to place them on parallel
bamboo skewers, coat with a glaze and grill. Position the skewers about
an inch apart and put large scallops on them so the scallop will lay
flat on the grill. Using two skewers for both shrimp and scallops allows
you to turn them easily and make great grill marks. You can put
de-veined shrimp or pineapple in between the scallops and marinate with
something thick and sticky. Don't over cook!

I was a big fan of shell fish. I can shuck oysters faster than most
folks. You get very good at it when you shuck for 12 hours straight for
a hotel buffet order. (What Anthony Bourdain says about Sunday Brunch is
so true! Use caution eating shellfish on mega displays!) My favorites
are the pacific oysters because of their frilly deep shells and the
natural sea water seasoning. I also like gulf and eastern blue points
but only at peak of season plump and moist. Pacific Oysters seem to be
consistent year round and you can find more pearls. Probably 1 out of a
thousand shells. I never found any pearls in Eastern or Gulf shells.

Clams are good anywhere in the world. I prefer the small little necks
and small ****er clams raw or steamed.

I'm also a big fan of New Zealand seafood because of the pride they put
in their product and packaging. It's expensive but delicious. Green lip
mussles are fantastic with a dijion and mayonnaise toss in the sautée
pan give it a try.

I was never a big fan of catfish. That is until the Department of
Commerce came in and ordered us to throw out a 1,000 lbs of fresh
catfish fillet. The fillets will sometimes arrive smelling of sulfer.
Probably something to do with the pond water not sure. Anyway we had
ozonated water that we would routinely rinse fish that came in this way
and after rinsing the fillets would smell fresh as if you caught it
yourself.

The government rep had red tagged it to be disposed of so later that
night I rinsed them and took them to my black friend Ernest's house in
south Phoenix. We were giving away free fish all night long and sat
there and got drunk as skunks. My friend's wife took out some salt
pepper, white corn meal and some bacon grease and started frying. That,
hush puppies and lots of beer and whiskey we were stuffed to the gills.
I don't think I've had better fried fish than that simple recipe.

BTW.. nobody got ill from eating that toxic shipment...

I loved those days. Me, my crew and my friends ate free just about every
night. Our tallow buckets was a gold mine for Asian restaurant owners.
We would routinely trade the fresh filleted bones for piles of steaming
hot Chinese or Thai food. We would fly in Eastern Lobster twice a week
and put them in our salt water tanks. On each delivery we would probably
freeze 100 or more pounds of weak lobsters that were ready to die. Those
we could purchase for $1 a pound and were just as delicious as the
spunky ones.

I searched for some instructions on how to peel and de-vein shrimp but I
didn't find anyone that uses the technique I use. No body showed me how
to do this it just seemed natural so not sure if anyone does it this
way. I am preparing some tonight. I will get my girlfriend to take some
pictures and I'll put up a page on my site.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
news
> [...]

> BTW.. nobody got ill from eating that toxic shipment...
>
> I loved those days. Me, my crew and my friends ate free just about every
> night. Our tallow buckets was a gold mine for Asian restaurant owners. We
> would routinely trade the fresh filleted bones for piles of steaming hot
> Chinese or Thai food. We would fly in Eastern Lobster twice a week and put
> them in our salt water tanks. On each delivery we would probably freeze
> 100 or more pounds of weak lobsters that were ready to die. Those we could
> purchase for $1 a pound and were just as delicious as the spunky ones.
>
> I searched for some instructions on how to peel and de-vein shrimp but I
> didn't find anyone that uses the technique I use. No body showed me how to
> do this it just seemed natural so not sure if anyone does it this way. I
> am preparing some tonight. I will get my girlfriend to take some pictures

This was exceptionally good reading

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
news
> Gunner wrote:
>> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message

This was a good read, Brad. really enjoyed it.

I look forward to seeing the technique. I need a good one.

de

Here is one for Catus and Shrimp,

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/shrimpnopalesmixiote.htm

I made it with just shrimp and jarred nopales in a thick chiles, tomatoes
and onions sauce base , similiar to Gumbo style just without the roux. Not
bad, the Catus is similiar to Okra in texture. My wife does not like okra
or Nopales so I have not played around with it since.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sonoran Dude wrote:
> [...]

> I loved those days. Me, my crew and my friends ate free just about every
> night. Our tallow buckets was a gold mine for Asian restaurant owners.
> We would routinely trade the fresh filleted bones for piles of steaming
> hot Chinese or Thai food. We would fly in Eastern Lobster twice a week
> and put them in our salt water tanks. On each delivery we would probably
> freeze 100 or more pounds of weak lobsters that were ready to die. Those
> we could purchase for $1 a pound and were just as delicious as the
> spunky ones.
>
> I searched for some instructions on how to peel and de-vein shrimp but I
> didn't find anyone that uses the technique I use. No body showed me how
> to do this it just seemed natural so not sure if anyone does it this
> way. I am preparing some tonight. I will get my girlfriend to take some
> pictures and I'll put up a page on my site.

OK we just got back and finished our shrimp. My girlfriend left her USB
cable in Phoenix so unfortunately we won't be able to give you the
pictures till Wednesday.

I prepared the butterflied shrimp two different ways skewered on
parallel bamboo skewers.

1st was to skewer 4 tails each and marinated in El Pato sauce and some
fresh chopped cilantro, my favorite. (El Pato is excellent for grilling
any seafood. It has just enough sugar in it from the tomato to give a
nice appearance and enough chili to give underlying heat that surprises
the eater.) Probably would have been nice to add some split jalapenos,
onion and some small grape tomatoes in between the shrimps.

The other was just an impromptu sauce I reduced from a cup of orange
juice, 6 fresh squeezed tangerines from the backyard, 1/4 cup of Key
Lime juice, half cup of Mexican sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground
chili tepin from the back yard and a pinch of two of fresh cilantro. I
skewered the shrimp between chunks of fresh pineapple and mango. Soaked
the shrimp in this sauce for about 20 min and basted remainder in the
pan over the grilling shrimp. Used the leftover sauce on our ice
cream... it was delicious with a wonderful spicy burn from the tepin!