Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default A question for Wayne and Rolly

Just for fun and knowledge, I like to know what Wayne remembers from
Easter dinners in Veracruz, and also what Rolly thinks Doņa Martha is
planning for this coming Easter.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Doņa Martha has never made much of a big thing for Easter. She has
been (still is) very sick, so I'm sure Easter will be nothing. Me
too, because I'm very laid up and house-bound following a heart attack.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 30, 9:14 pm, "Rolly" > wrote:
> Doņa Martha has never made much of a big thing for Easter. She has
> been (still is) very sick, so I'm sure Easter will be nothing. Me
> too, because I'm very laid up and house-bound following a heart attack.

Rolly, I'm very sorry to hear that. My best wishes to you and to Doņa
Martha.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"dtwright37" > wrote in message
ups.com...
Just for fun and knowledge, I like to know what Wayne remembers from
Easter dinners in Veracruz, and also what Rolly thinks Doņa Martha is
planning for this coming Easter.

David

------------

Good question. Got me thinking. But what I remember the most is how Mexico
City becomes eerily quiet and empty during the week. Everybody flees the
city and heads to places far from the pollution. They find wondrous foods on
the road everywhere. Rabbit on the road to the volcanoes, Taquizas
everywhere, Barbacoa on most roads outside the city. Nobody in their right
mind goes to Veracruz because of the nortes and rotten weather traditional
to this time of year. Locally... we did nothing. Nothing special. Maybe a
new movie came to the store/warehouse in Paso Largo and maybe a street fare
kind of thing like swap meet. Very low key.

A lot of kids smashing ash filled eggshells. The real Easter madness is in
places like Taxco and Michoacan towns where the priests of old left their
mark in working copper, wood, and most typical and traditional Mexican art.
Copper, Talavera, place mats, wooden masks... ad infinitum. All the saints
and Christ figures rolled out to the street in endless streams... street
vendors selling every conceivable delicacy...

But not much in our part of Veracruz. Deep in the jungle, hard to get to.
The port itself boasts a Mardi-Gra now but I don't remember if it was very
popular back when I was there.

Thanks for asking!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 31, 11:40 am, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:

> But what I remember the most is how Mexico
> City becomes eerily quiet and empty during the week. Everybody flees the
> city and heads to places far from the pollution.

Many of them flee to San Antonio and spend, spend, spend! Many
merchants here anticipate La Semana Santa with the same eagerness they
do Christmas.

> Thanks for asking!

You're welcome, Thanks for answering.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 31, 9:12 am, "dtwright37" > wrote:
> On Mar 30, 9:14 pm, "Rolly" > wrote:
>
> > Doņa Martha has never made much of a big thing for Easter. She has
> > been (still is) very sick, so I'm sure Easter will be nothing. Me
> > too, because I'm very laid up and house-bound following a heart attack.

> Rolly, I'm very sorry to hear that. My best wishes to you and to Doņa
> Martha.
>
> David

And just to follow up on that, I've learned more lasting information
from Doņa Martha, through Rolly, than any cook book, TV cooking show,
or any other newsgroup contributor. Thanks, Rolly.

David, hoping to see more

FS: THE JOHN WAYNE WAY TO GRILL cookbook by Ethan Wayne WesternBarbecue RELISTED 39%off [email protected] Barbecue 0 19-08-2016 12:05 PM
Where's Rolly? sf[_9_] Mexican Cooking 2 22-12-2008 12:39 AM
Rolly's camera finds a new kitchen Rolly Mexican Cooking 2 01-12-2007 02:37 AM
Add a Wayne Gretzky question to the Canadian Citizenship Test ---abum--- General Cooking 2 20-01-2007 10:27 PM
Rolly Thanks for the Website Rhonda Mexican Cooking 0 01-10-2006 03:34 PM