Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Altiplano Central: Especialidades de Colima

Altiplano Central: Especialidades de Colima

GOT RECIPES?

Arroz con longaniza (arroz, longaniza de puerco, sal al gusto)
Rice with sausage. Fried pork sausage is added to cooked rice in a
casserole and allowed to season the rice.

Caldo Michi (guisado de bagre con verduras)
Catfish stewed with greens.

Caldo Michi (preparado con carpa amarilla o guachinango)
Prepared with yellow carp or red snapper

Camarones (a la diabla o en coctel)
Shrimp in chile sauce or in a cocktail

Cangrejos de rio a la plancha
Grilled river crabs

Ceviche colimense preparado con carne molida de pez sierra o mero,
zanahorias y chile)
Colima style ceviche differs from other ceviches in that is is
prepared
from *ground* kingfish (mackerel?) or grouper, carrots, spices, and
chile. Sailfish (pez vela) or Sawfish is also used. The ground fish is
combined with lemon, chili and spices, served over crispy fried corn
tortillas.

Charales, about the size of small goldfish, are caught during the
rainy season, cooked in deep fat, eaten heads, tails and all, and
washed down with
your favorite alcoholic beverage.

Charales en chile (charales, frescos o secos, chile verde picante,
chile pasilla, jitomate, tomates verdes, ajo, aceite, sal)
Charales, fresh or dried, spicy green chile, pasilla chile, tomato,
green tomatoes, garlic, oil, salt. Serve over lettuce leaves, adorn
with radish
cut in the shape of a flower.

Chilayo (less frequently "chilaya") (guisado de espinazo de cerdo.
tomates verdes, chile guajillo, arroz, comino, ajo y sal)
A stew made of pork backbones, green tomatoes, guajillo chile, rice,
cumin,
garlic and salt, cooked in a clay pot.

Chilaquiles o "Sombreros Viejos"
Stale tortillas remind Mexicans of the brims of old hats. They are
stewed in chile sauce and cheese and eaten for breakfast.

Cuachala (maiz martajado, pollo deshebrado con chile pasilla y
especias)
A dish of ancient origin, made from fermented? corn, shredded chicken,
pasilla chile and spices.

Enchiladas de chile dulce (chile mulato, chocolate y otras especies)
Sweet chile enchiladas. Mulato chiles, chocolate and other spices.

Enchiladas con tuba almendrada
Enchiladas with palm heart liquor and almonds

Guisados con espinazo de cerdo
Stews made with the backbones of pork

Guisado con pescado blanco
Stew with white fish

Langostinos que estan disfrutable en caldos, a la mantequilla, al ajo
o simplemente cocidos.
Langostinos can be enjoyed in soups, in butter, in garlic sauce, or
simply
boiled,

Langostinos adobados (langostinos frescos, aceite de oliva,
mantequilla
chiles anchos, ajo, hierbas aromaticas, vino blanco, sal
(fresh langostinos, olive oil, butter, ancho chiles garlic, herbs,
white wine, salt)
The langostinos are removed from shells, fried in butter and olive
oil
Salt, spices and wine are added and the mixture is reduced. Chiles
are
toasted and ground and made into a sauce that is added to the
langostinos.
Langostinos adobados can be served as a snack or with white rice.

Langostinos al mojo de ajo
Langostinos in garlic sauce

langostinos de rio, preparados en caldo
River langostinos, prepared in broth

Menudo Colimense (guisado de menudo con azafrán, arroz y chiles
serranos)
A tripe stew with sassafrass, rice, and serrano chiles.

Moyos (variedad del cangrejo moro) guisado a la diabla
Variety of crab, stewed with chiles.

Pata de Mula (tamal de frijol, evueltado en hoja de maiz)
Leg of a female mule? A bean tamale, wrapped in a corn husk.

Pepena (visceras guisadas)
Stewed internal organs.

Pescado a la Talla (preparado con un pescado entero, abierto y
cubierto con verdura picada, luego envuelto en hoja de plátano y asado
a las brazas)
Prepared with a whole fish, opened and covered with shredded greens,
then wrapped in a banana leave and roasted over the grille.

Pozole Blanco o Colimense: guisado de maiz con puerco y salsa de
tomates verdes y chile cascabel
White pozole or Colima-style pozole. A stew of corn with pork and
sauce of green tomatoes and cascabel chiles.

Pozole estilo Colima (El pozole de cerdo es la merienda tradicional,
con la característica de ser seco)
Pork pozole is the traditional picnic meal, with the characteristic of
being
dry. A white Mexican hominy stew, made with meat, pork head, and
hominy. Topped with cabbage, onion, dried chili sauce and lime. Colima
style pozole is a *dry* stew, unlike the wet pozole eaten elsewhere.
Because it is dry, it can be enjoyed on a tostada.

Sopa de mariscos
Seafood soup

Sopes colimenses A thick bowl-shaped tortilla, fried in lard,
smothered with ground beef ("picadillo"), and finely chopped cabbage,
topped with grated cheese, radish and a sauce made with tomatoes, meat
juice, cumin, garlic and salt.

Sopes gordos (de pata, lomo o pollo)
Made with pork leg or shoulder or chicken

Sopes mingas
No recipe found. "Mingas" may refer to the double labor structure for
Indians in Mexico during the Spanish colonical period "Mita (forced
draft)
"Mingas" (voluntary)

Sopitos (pequenas tostadas cubiertas con picadillo y banadas en
"jugo")
Small tostadas covered with spicy meat and bathed in drippings.

Sopitos Picados (frituras de maiz rellenas de carne molida, costilla
de puerco o frijoles)
"Spicy little sopes" are corn fritters filled with ground meat, pork
rib meat, or beans

Tamales de Carne
Tamales filled with any sort of meat.

Tamales de Ceniza
Tamales of ashes. Meatless tamales made for Lent?

Tamales de Elote Tierno
Corn tamales

Tatemado de Colima (lomo de cerdo, comino, hojas de laurel, ajo,
pimienta
molida, chiles pasillas o guajillos, manteca, vinagre, sal)
(Pork, cumen, bay leaves, garlic, ground pepper, pasilla or guajillo
chiles, lard,
vinegar, salt)
Colima-style barbacoa or pork stew. "Tatemado" is anything put on, or
in the
cooking fire. Tatemado was traditionally cooked in a clay pot by the
Quecha.
The spices are added to the vinegar and chunks are pork are allowed
marinate. The marinade, bay leaves, and pork are placed in a covered
casserole with water, and cooked in the oven until tender. The meat is
served with the liquid.

Tatemado de espinazo de cerdo
Tatemado made with pork backbones

Tatemado de puerco y agua de tuba
Tatemado of pork and coconut palm heart water

Tatemado (carne de cerdo macerada en vinagre de coco y guisada en
chile colorado)
Pork smashed in coconut vinegar and stewed in chile colorado.

Tortillas entomatadas
Tortillas in tomato sauce

Tostadas de pata, lomo o pollo estan preparadas sobre tortillas
raspadas y doradas
Tostadas of pork leg, shoulder, or chicken are prepared over tortillas
filed down? and fried until golden brown.

Postres:
Desserts:

Alfajor de coco
Prepared with coconut, flour and "piloncillo" (brown sugar).

Alfajor de pina is made with pineapple and brown sugar.

Borrachitos

Cocada (leche, azucar, coco rallado, agua, huevos, almendras picadas)
Coconut custard made of milk, sugar, grated coconut, water, eggs, and
sprinkled with shredded almonds

Limones rellenos de coco
Lemons filled with coconut.

Pan dulce, del que destacan los bonetes o picón de huevo es un
especialidad
de Villa de Alvarez

Pellizcada de tamarindo
Pepellizcada = a type of gordita or chalupa that is made by pinching
(pellizcar means "to pinch") up the dough around the edges to create
raised border to help contain the filling. This one is filled with
tamarind.

Pellizcos de tamarindo
Tamarind balls covered with ground sugar.

Platanos deshidratados
Dried bananas.

Postre de jicama (jicama, azucar, yemas de huevo, leche ron, almendras
Jicama custard. The grated jicama is fried without water to release
and
thicken its juice, then the milk and sugar is added and simmered until
thick, removed from the fire and the
egg yolks are added and the mixture returned to the stove and stirred
continuously. The mixture is poured into a casserole and allowed to
cool.
Almonds are sprinkled on top, then the casserole is placed in the
broiler
so the top will brown. Jicama custard is then served cold.

Rollos de guayaba
Rolls of guayaba fruit.

Bebidas:
Drinks:

Bate (elaborado con una especie de semilla como la chia)
Made from toasted and ground "chan", a seed of the mint family. Served
with pure honey in a clay pot.
(El bate se hace con chan, una semilla de la familia de la chia-, y se
sirve con miel de panocha.)

Borrachitos de leche con canela
Milk with cinnamon

Chan (de consistencia similar al atole que suele acompañarse con miel
de
abeja y se toma en recipiente de barro)

Crema de coco
Cream of coconut made with milk and young coconut copra.

Ponche de coco
Coconut punch

Ponche de Comala (la unica bebida alcohólica fabricada actualmente en
Colima es el ponche de Comala, que lo hay de granada -el más
tradicional-, ciruela pasa, cacahuate, guayabilla y tamarindo. En su
preparación se utiliza mezcal producido en la región del volcán,
localmente llamado tuxca)
The unique alcoholic beverage actually made in Colima, is the Comala
punch,
where there are any pomegranates--it is more traditional--dried plums,
peanuts, guayabilla and tamarind. Mezcal produced in the region of the
volcano is used in its preparation, locally it is called "tuxca".

Tejuino (manjar de los Dioses huicholes, hechado (con la receta de los
antigüos caxcanes que poblaban esta región) de maiz fermentado.
"Delight" of the Huichol gods, made (with the recipe of the ancient
caxcanes
who populated the area) of fermented corn. Sold by street vendors,
it's a
low alcohol drink that is consumed naturally, or with added
ingredients
like ice, brown sugar, salt and lemon

Tuba (licor a base de cogollo de la palma de coco. De origen filipino,
es la sabia del cocotero, que se extrae cortando el cogollo de lo que
formaría el racimo de cocos. Esta puede tornarse natural, almendrada o
compuesta con fruta picada y cacahuates))
A liquor made from coconut palm heart, tuba can be enjoyed alone, with
almonds, or shredded fruit and peanuts,

Tuxca
A locally produced mezcal

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
ups.com...
Altiplano Central: Especialidades de Colima

GOT RECIPES?

Arroz con longaniza (arroz, longaniza .

---snip for brevity----

My best friend lives in Colima and we go there frequently either via one of
our cruises on the Carnival, or flights from SD or the DF or bus.

I don't know anybody, nor does my friend or friends who cook anymore. There
is a huge shift in eating paradigm taking place in that city under the
volcano. May have something to do with the constant awareness of the
belching giant's dust and smoke and end of life thoughts. But....

The shifting eating paradigm is this: There is an establishment going up on
every block that offers unlimited antojitos as long as you are sipping on a
beer. And you can sip on that beer all day long! No matter... the waiters
will continually bring new, fresh, delightful platters of antojitos as long
as you have any beer in front of you. These delights start with chips and
salsas, then taquitos, then chalupas, then tamales, then tostadas, then
guacamole and chips.... and it is endless!

I have promised my publisher that sometime in the near future I will go
there with the specific task of photographing each and every delight as I
sit in the gentle Pacific breeze from over the hills and as I sip bottle
after bottle of great Bohemia, XX or Negra Modelo.

Anybody care to join me?

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 22, 12:09?pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:

> My best friend lives in Colima and we go there frequently either via one of
> our cruises on the Carnival, or flights from SD or the DF or bus.

So what does San Ysidro to Comala cost on a first class Mexican bus
these days? Bus travel sounds interesting, I could look out the window
and watch interesting peasants interacting with their animals and each
other...

Bus travel is said to be cheap in Mexico, especially if you take the
older, second class busses. The third class busses are the really
crowded ones that carry smiling natives who are holding pigs and
chickens in their arms.

When I visited the Toltec ruins at Tulum, the tourist excursion
included lunch, and the whole reserved seat affair cost $30.00 per
person.

Add $10.00 per person to tip the smiling bus driver and the attentive
tour guide, they have to make a living.

But the locals could wait in line and take a third class bus for
$3.00. I thought about what it would be like to miss the bus back to
Cancun and be stranded overnight in a small village. I'd read about
the wars between the Mexicans and the Mayas, and Quintana Roo was not
all that civilized.

I always had to fly down to Mexico or take a cruise ship because of
time limitations. Fortunately, the company where I worked would close
its doors for the Christmas holidays.

Cruise ships are floating hotels, so the tourist doesn't spend a lot
of time on the highway between hotels and doesn't have to unpack and
pack suitcase
on a daily basis, but there is little to see enroute as the ship has
to stay five or ten miles offshore.

The Pacific Princess arrived in Manzanillo harbor during the night and
anchored. There was no dock where she could tie up so small groups of
tourists were ferried ashore in launches.

Manzanillo didn't look like much from the ship. As I had overslept,
and missed
breakfast in the dining room, I noshed on the buffet.

Colima sounds interesting, with both ranch style cooking and sea food
available. Too bad I didn't go ashore for the short timing remaining.
The Love Boat weighed anchor for Acapulco about 1:00 PM...

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 22, 12:09?pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
> wrote:
>
> > My best friend lives in Colima and we go there frequently either via one

of
> > our cruises on the Carnival, or flights from SD or the DF or bus.

> So what does San Ysidro to Comala cost on a first class Mexican bus
> these days? Bus travel sounds interesting, I could look out the window
> and watch interesting peasants interacting with their animals and each
> other...
>
> Bus travel is said to be cheap in Mexico, especially if you take the
> older, second class busses. The third class busses are the really
> crowded ones that carry smiling natives who are holding pigs and
> chickens in their arms.
>
> When I visited the Toltec ruins at Tulum, the tourist excursion
> included lunch, and the whole reserved seat affair cost $30.00 per
> person.
>
> Add $10.00 per person to tip the smiling bus driver and the attentive
> tour guide, they have to make a living.
>
> But the locals could wait in line and take a third class bus for
> $3.00. I thought about what it would be like to miss the bus back to
> Cancun and be stranded overnight in a small village. I'd read about
> the wars between the Mexicans and the Mayas, and Quintana Roo was not
> all that civilized.
>
> I always had to fly down to Mexico or take a cruise ship because of
> time limitations. Fortunately, the company where I worked would close
> its doors for the Christmas holidays.
>
> Cruise ships are floating hotels, so the tourist doesn't spend a lot
> of time on the highway between hotels and doesn't have to unpack and
> pack suitcase
> on a daily basis, but there is little to see enroute as the ship has
> to stay five or ten miles offshore.
>
> The Pacific Princess arrived in Manzanillo harbor during the night and
> anchored. There was no dock where she could tie up so small groups of
> tourists were ferried ashore in launches.
>
> Manzanillo didn't look like much from the ship. As I had overslept,
> and missed
> breakfast in the dining room, I noshed on the buffet.
>
> Colima sounds interesting, with both ranch style cooking and sea food
> available. Too bad I didn't go ashore for the short timing remaining.
> The Love Boat weighed anchor for Acapulco about 1:00 PM...

Wayne he

Rates and schedules change. You need to check airline and bus schedules and
rates from where you intend to depart/return. We are fortunte in having one
direct flight from TJ to Colima. The bus has been either from Guadalajara or
Mexico City or from Manzanillo and not from Chula Vista. The Tijuana/Colima
bus would take more time than I care to spend on first class or third class
bus. Sorry if I misled you on bus from California. One time we took a cab
from the Carnival cruise ship docked in Manzanillo to and then from Colima
for $60 US. Other times our friends picked us up and delivered us weaving
over the highway as we digested too many beers and Tequila shots. (I'm
getting to old for that kind of stuff... but our freinds range from middle
age like my wife, to old age older than my father. And son and father just
love to drink, eat and sing.

No matter how you get there. Go there! Plan on a few days to get to 'feel'
the city. It's the cleanest city in all of Mexico in my experience. Our
friends moved there from the DF after years of exploring the country due to
their business in finding water through explosive sensor technology and
foundation data for new buildings.

But don't go if you fear volcanoes. The Colima volcano, visible from
anyplace in the city, is a reminder of a time bomb ready to explode but
nobody knows when. So, in a way, everybody lives for the day, which makes
living there and intensity to enjoy every minute one is alive.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

You sure "Tatemado is anything put on, or in the cooking fire" and azafrán
is sassafrass (sic), bit of a difference in taste between the two?

also Pozole Blanco it is not named just because of the White Corn.