Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Green chile & lamb stew

This recipe uses Lamb because of the up coming religious occasion but you
can use mutton, goat, pork or beef equally as well ,

2 medium white onions, chopped rinsed under cold water
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 to 2 1/2 pounds boneless Lamb shoulder or other quality cut, trimmed and
cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup AP flour with salt and pepper to coat the meat
2 pounds roasted New Mexican or Anaheim green chilies, chopped
1 pounds boiling potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
5 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

In a large heavy kettle, sauté the onions and 1/2 of the minced garlic in
the oil over moderate heat, stirring, until the onions are softened, remove
this mixture from the heat, coat the lamb in flour , shake off the excess
and fry the meat in in the oil in batches until caramelized. Deglaze the
kettle with a bit of water and return the sautéed onion and garlic as well
as the meat back to the kettle. Add the chilies, the water to the kettle
and season with the salt. Simmer the mixture, uncovered, adding more water
if necessary to keep the lamb barely covered, for 1 1/2 hours. Stir in the
potatoes making sure they are covered by the cooking liquid, and simmer the
mixture for another 30 minutes, or until the pork and the potatoes are
tender, stirring occasionally to ensure they do not burn on the bottom,
Stir in the remaining minced garlic, taste and re-season if necessary.
Simmer the stew for another 5 minutes or so to blend in the last addition of
garlic.

As we have discussed before to add a corn flavor, you can work in a beurre
manie made from Masa Harina and lard or butter in equal amounts to thicken
the sauce ( a tablespoon or two of each will usually suffice).

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

What is the significance of lamb (in the religious sense)?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"chipotle" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> What is the significance of lamb (in the religious sense)?

Chipotle, In many of the Christian Religions lamb is traditionally served
on Easter as a symbol of Jesus, the Lamb of God. We have just entered Lent,
the period leading up to Easter. So I am going to be posting some Lenten as
well as Lamb dishes.

I am not a very religious person but I did promise my wife less red meat and
this is a good chance to try some out. Mexican foods are very well suited
to No Red Meat as well as meatless dishes.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Thank you. You have brought a question from the back of my mind to t
he front. I have not researched it and must do that before I shoot my
mouth off too much, but still I have had this question buried -

we have so much information about Christmas (a major hoiiday, of
course) but so little about Easter, yet Mexico is decidedly a Catholic
country. I wondered if Lenten dishes were more important and quite
easy in bean-loving Mexico. And the proliferation of recipes for pork
tell us all we need to know about Mexico's adoption of the little
grunter. That one's easy, as they take no space and are happy to eat
anything and grow fat. A good choice in a country that has many poor
people.
Going to see what I can find about Easter now. I'm very curious about
that.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Okay - I take it back, there's plenty there.
I found a few sites, but, hmmm, one says it's a festive time, another
calls it solemn. The web can be unreliable, that's for sure.

Well well, spring is always joyous, no? And breaking a Lenten fast is
a happy moment. Easter is really an old pagan custom for obvious
reasons.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 25, 5:31�am, "chipotle" > wrote:
> Okay - I take it back, there's plenty there.
> I found a few sites, but, hmmm, one says it's a festive time, another
> calls it solemn. *The web can be unreliable, that's for sure.

When you google for "Easter" in Mexico, also include "costumbre" in
your search terms and see what you get in the way of pagan customs
associated with Christian holidays.

So far as Mexico and the rest of Latin America is concerned, the
natives had to accept Roman Catholicism as it was forced upon them.
They continued to follow their own, older religions, often adopting
the cult figures of the saints as somehow symbolic of their own gods
and godesses.

They look at a statue of the Virgin and they see their own goddess
instead. They particularly love dark-skinned depictions of Mary.

So, whenever you research the fiestas associated with Catholicism, you
need to be aware of "costumbre" lurking in the shadows as the peasants
pay lip service to the church.

Look up Santeria, for example, and you will find African voodoo
rituals and animal sacrifice blended with the Catholic ideas.

> Well well, spring is always joyous, no? *And breaking a Lenten fast is
> a happy moment. *Easter is really an old pagan custom for obvious
> reasons.

Different pagans on different continents.

Easter arose out of earth worship in Babylonia or Sumeria. Look up
Astoreth and Ishtar.

When you read the Christian Bible, or the Hebrew Tanakh you'll see
where God told Moses to destroy the altars and groves of earth worship
when the Israelites entered Canaan.

Canaan was God's reward to the Israelites for being his chosen people
and their mission (if they chose to accept it) was to kill or enslave
all the supposedly evil Canaanites.

That's in Exodus. The earth worshippers held their fertility rituals
in groves of trees in the Middle East. All the males made an offering
and the priestesses serviced every male they could handle.

The rest of the male earth worshippers worshipped with each other,
and, even if that didn't directly result in impregnation of a female
at the moment, it raised their sexual energy to go out and earn enough
money to buy a wife.

You may remember that God destroyed the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah
because of their "wicked" practices, but Lot's wife looked back and
turned into a pillar of salt somewhere around the Dead Sea.

Even though the Israelite prophets railed against earth worship and
abominations such as sodomy, there were still Sodomites living in
Canaan 900 years later in the time of King Solomon, and Solomon may
have even participated in earth worship rituals himself.

And that was centuries after the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.
The Israelites didn't get their temple cleansed of all
alien rituals and artifacts until the reign of a later king.

And then the Assyrians came in and looted the temple and kidnapped
most of the Israelites and hauled them away, never to be seen again.
The Ten Lost Tribes of Israel probably wound up in Anatolia or the
Caucasus mountains.

Earth worship continued up until the Roman Catholic priests almost
wiped out the tradition in Europe a thousand years ago. Druids
gathered their people in sacred groves of oak trees.

The Catholic priests knew that they weren't powerful enough to stop
pagan worship a thousand years ago, but, by 1300 AD, the Catholic
church was sufficiently strong to outlaw the practices.

But there are still modern neo-pagans who try to resurrect the old
ways. Like the pagan ritual of dancing around a May pole is at least
4000 years old.

There are commandments in Exodus against worshipping around poles or
columns or worshipping at any raised altar where the faithful have to
climp steps to make their offerings.

A religious sect whose power rivalled that of the Levites was
doing strange things at raised altars on the wrong mountain, and that
had to be outlawed without actually defining what it was that they
were doing that was so wrong.

The writers of the scriptures were trying to forbid a lot of rituals
practiced by other tribes or sects of their own beliefs which
eventually became known as "Judaism", without actually getting very
technical about what they were condemning.

The Egyptians worshipped on raised altars and around monolithic pylons
which we know as obelisks today. The Egyptians also practiced earth
worship and held fertility rituals in the spring every year.

The Hebrews felt culturally and racially threatened by the Egyptians'
fertility rituals, so they cursed the Egyptians and painted the
lintels of their doorways with lambs' blood and forbade the young
people from going outside, in order to preserve the DNA of their
tribes.

Israel (the Angel of Death) supposedly killed all the first born of
the Egyptians, and that was the first Passover, since the angel passed
over the Hebrews.

Killing the first born male child of a family was an awful thing to
do, under Levirite law. It screwed up inheritances something
terrible.

If the first born son of a Hebrew leader died, power and control would
pass to somebody else's son. And property rights might also go to the
wrong person, in the Hebrew mind.

That's why it was the duty of every good Hebrew to "go into" his
brother's widow and provide a male heir to keep his brother's name
going and ensure his property and tribal leadership rights going.

The Old Testament goes into great detail about who begat whom so the
lines of nobility would continue and, when the wrong person wound up
with somebody else's "birthright" the Hebrew prophets cursed entire
tribes for centuries afterwards.

After pharoah let the Israelites go (it's uncertain whether they were
really slaves or if they were laborers or mercenaries that wanted to
break their contract), they wandered in the Sinai desert for 40 years
and came into contact with other tribes whose religious practices
included earth worship.

The Israelites didn't want to have their tribe intermarry with the
gentiles, so Moses re-instituted the ritual of Passover for a second
time, about 40 years after the first Passover.

You may read articles where modern day Jews say that the significance
of Passover is that nobody should oppress a stranger, because the
Hebrews were once strangers in Egypt.

The actual significance of the Passover is cultural separation, a
religious and racial apartheid that has continued for 4000 years. At
least in Torah tradition...

If you read about Noah, and what happened after the flood, you will
read about his sons, who were supposedly thefathers of various
nations. Like Ham was supposedly the father of all African people.

And there is the story of Ham's son Canaan, who walked into Noah's
tent one day and saw Noah drunk and naked. Noah cursed Canaan, who
seems to have been a dark-skinned person, and all of his descendants
to be slaves of the lighter-skinned Hebrews.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Phew, that's a lot to digest. Thank you for taking the time to write
so much. As for me, I will also take time so I digest properly.
Look at that word 'digest.' -LOL We can't keep away from food and
eating words.