Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default enchillada sauce

anybody have a recipe for a great red enchilada sauce?
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 15, 11:16 pm, fishman99 > wrote:
> anybody have a recipe for a great red enchilada sauce?

6 dried chile de arbol peppers
1 teaspoon garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
3/4 cup water

Snap the tops off of the dried chilies, and place in a saucepan with
enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Drain the water, and place chilies into a food processor or blender
with the garlic and salt cumin. Puree until smooth. Press sauce
through a strainer, simmer in skillet add water if needed adjust
spices to your taste.

1 cup vegetable oil for frying
18 (6 inch) corn tortillas
3 cups crumbled queso fresco
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded lettuce
2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped green onions

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Soak each tortilla
in the sauce, then place in the hot oil. Turn over almost immediately,
and fry for about 5 seconds on the other side. This keeps them from
getting mushy. Remove to a plate that is lined with paper towels. The
easiest way to do this is to fry the tortillas and stack them directly
on top of each other until you have fried them all. This will keep the
tortillas pliable until you are ready to fill them.
Take one fried tortilla at a time, and fill with about 2 tablespoons
of the queso fresco. Roll up, and place seam side down on a plate.
Place three of these on each plate. Top in the following order: Start
with a layer of sour cream, then a small handful of lettuce, three
tomato slices, 2 more tablespoons of queso fresco, and finally, 1
tablespoon of green onions.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 15, 11:16 pm, fishman99 > wrote:
> anybody have a recipe for a great red enchilada sauce?

forgot to mention remove all seeds prior to boiling to.
good luck

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"fishman99" > wrote in message
. ..
> anybody have a recipe for a great red enchilada sauce?

For north of the Tropic of Cancer enchiladas use Jame's recipe.
For south of the Tropic of Cancer, real Mexican food, use the following.
The difference is that the northern version rely on chile as the main
ingredient putting a lot of fire in the eater's mouth. The south, real
Mexican, version, focuses on taste and allows the eater to put as much chile
on their meal as they want from the red, green and ranchero salsas that are
on the table for discretionary use. Very few real Mexican recipes call for
chile to be the main ingredient except for things like mole and birria.
Which are made from non-hot chile pods or sparing use of chile de arbol.

So... if you want a truly real, authentic Mexican enchilada, use the
following as a guide.

For four people:

One onion finely diced
Two cloves garlic finely diced
Three red tomatoes cut in quarters then blended or ground in a molcajete
Salt
NO CUMIN
Tablespoon pure lard for the salsa
1/4 cup cooking oil to heat the tortilla later on

Preparation:

Sautee diced onion and garlic in the lard then add tomato paste (I use
Ro-Tel straight from the can). Bring to boil, simmer for a few minutes.

Use this sauce on your huevos rancheros, enchiladas, and anything else
calling for a cooked salsa.

For green enchiladas, use tomatillos instead of red tomatoes. (And top with
sour cream instead of Parmesano)

For a simple, no frills enchilada, called entomatada, lightly fry the corn
tortillas in a flat frying pan into which you have put enough cooking oil so
the tortillas will not stick, but will drain the oil. Put lightly fried
tortilla onto plate, roll it. Roll three tortillas per serving and cover
with the sauce you just made. Sprinkle Parmesano or Queso anejo. Serve with
rice and beans. Make sure to have chile laden salsas on the side for people
to add their own heat.

For a simple salsa, dice up a half onion, two cloves garlic, one tomato, and
a dozen chile serranos. Mix together, add salt and a squeeze of lemon and
garnish with pinched cilantro leaves. Same recipe for green salsa by using
tomatillos.

Mexican food is among the world's easiest to make when using blender,
pressure cooker and the normal kitchen stuff we already have. Tortillas are
now abundant at every supermarket as are the basic chiles, lards and the
rest.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> "fishman99" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> anybody have a recipe for a great red enchilada sauce?

> For north of the Tropic of Cancer enchiladas use Jame's recipe.
> For south of the Tropic of Cancer, real Mexican food, use the following.
> The difference is that the northern version rely on chile as the main
> ingredient putting a lot of fire in the eater's mouth. The south, real
> Mexican, version, focuses on taste and allows the eater to put as much chile
> on their meal as they want from the red, green and ranchero salsas that are
> on the table for discretionary use. Very few real Mexican recipes call for
> chile to be the main ingredient except for things like mole and birria.
> Which are made from non-hot chile pods or sparing use of chile de arbol.
>
> So... if you want a truly real, authentic Mexican enchilada, use the
> following as a guide.
>
> For four people:
>
> One onion finely diced
> Two cloves garlic finely diced
> Three red tomatoes cut in quarters then blended or ground in a molcajete
> Salt
> NO CUMIN
> Tablespoon pure lard for the salsa
> 1/4 cup cooking oil to heat the tortilla later on
>

> Preparation:
>
> Sautee diced onion and garlic in the lard then add tomato paste (I use
> Ro-Tel straight from the can). Bring to boil, simmer for a few minutes.
>
> Use this sauce on your huevos rancheros, enchiladas, and anything else
> calling for a cooked salsa.
>
> For green enchiladas, use tomatillos instead of red tomatoes. (And top with
> sour cream instead of Parmesano)
>
> For a simple, no frills enchilada, called entomatada, lightly fry the corn
> tortillas in a flat frying pan into which you have put enough cooking oil so
> the tortillas will not stick, but will drain the oil. Put lightly fried
> tortilla onto plate, roll it. Roll three tortillas per serving and cover
> with the sauce you just made. Sprinkle Parmesano or Queso anejo. Serve with
> rice and beans. Make sure to have chile laden salsas on the side for people
> to add their own heat.
>
> For a simple salsa, dice up a half onion, two cloves garlic, one tomato, and
> a dozen chile serranos. Mix together, add salt and a squeeze of lemon and
> garnish with pinched cilantro leaves. Same recipe for green salsa by using
> tomatillos.
>
> Mexican food is among the world's easiest to make when using blender,
> pressure cooker and the normal kitchen stuff we already have. Tortillas are
> now abundant at every supermarket as are the basic chiles, lards and the
> rest.
>
> Wayne

That is unless you want authentic North of the Tropic of Cancer
Enchilada sauce:

Arizona Style Enchilada Sauce
(A traditional sauce using chili paste made from fresh red chile)
1 tbs flour 1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbs oil 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, ground
NO TOMATOES!!!
2 cups Santa Cruz Original Chili Paste 1 tsp oregano
3 to 4 cups hot water or meat broth
Brown flour and oil in a saucepan. Add chile paste, water and spices and
simmer for 15 minutes. Note: for thicker sauce, use less liquid. Use
over burros, chimichangas or enchiladas.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sonoran Dude wrote:
> [...]

>> pressure cooker and the normal kitchen stuff we already have.
>> Tortillas are
>> now abundant at every supermarket as are the basic chiles, lards and the
>> rest.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> That is unless you want authentic North of the Tropic of Cancer
> Enchilada sauce:
>
> Arizona Style Enchilada Sauce
> (A traditional sauce using chili paste made from fresh red chile)
> 1 tbs flour 1 tsp garlic powder
> 2 tbs oil 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, ground
> NO TOMATOES!!!
> 2 cups Santa Cruz Original Chili Paste 1 tsp oregano
> 3 to 4 cups hot water or meat broth
> Brown flour and oil in a saucepan. Add chile paste, water and spices and
> simmer for 15 minutes. Note: for thicker sauce, use less liquid. Use
> over burros, chimichangas or enchiladas.

thank you.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 15, 11:16 pm, fishman99 > wrote:
> anybody have a recipe for a great red enchilada sauce?

You don't have to limit your self to red enchilada sauce. I'll give
you some more ideas tomorrow. I'm about to head for the barn just now.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"fishman99" > wrote in message
. ..
> anybody have a recipe for a great red enchilada sauce?

Rolly, One of the old timers here has a nice website showing how a Chile
Colorado (Red Chile)
is made http://www.rollybrook.com/chile_colorado.htm (do check out the
other recipes the cook makes)

Try roast, toasting or sautéing the chile first, being careful not to burn.
Drain, place in a bowl, cover with hot water to steep then puree with your
sautéed aromatics/spices and then strain

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/nancy1002.asp
Dave DeWitt is a very knowledgeable person regarding chiles ( and BBQ).
His pepper profiles are good info also:
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/ndx_profiles.asp I like a combo of
Pasilla, Ancho and Guajillo.

http://www.ranchogordo.com/html/rg_cook_redchile.htm very good read that
shows some of the prejudices/opinions you sometimes read about
here.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

. ..

..----snip----

> That is unless you want authentic North of the Tropic of Cancer
> Enchilada sauce:
>
> Arizona Style Enchilada Sauce
> (A traditional sauce using chili paste made from fresh red chile)
> 1 tbs flour 1 tsp garlic powder
> 2 tbs oil 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, ground
> NO TOMATOES!!!
> 2 cups Santa Cruz Original Chili Paste 1 tsp oregano
> 3 to 4 cups hot water or meat broth
> Brown flour and oil in a saucepan. Add chile paste, water and spices and
> simmer for 15 minutes. Note: for thicker sauce, use less liquid. Use
> over burros, chimichangas or enchiladas.

-------------------------

Looks great! I've been following some of Jack's comments on New Orleans
style gumbo and cooking style. I think the flour and oil into a gravy is
from that neck of the woods. I think they call it Roe? I love roe, we call
it gravy here at home and it's a great way to thicken a sauce.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Roux!

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
>> > "fishman99" > wrote in message
>> > . ..
>> >

> .----snip----
>

>> That is unless you want authentic North of the Tropic of Cancer
>> Enchilada sauce:
>>
>> Arizona Style Enchilada Sauce
>> (A traditional sauce using chili paste made from fresh red chile)
>> 1 tbs flour 1 tsp garlic powder
>> 2 tbs oil 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, ground
>> NO TOMATOES!!!
>> 2 cups Santa Cruz Original Chili Paste 1 tsp oregano
>> 3 to 4 cups hot water or meat broth
>> Brown flour and oil in a saucepan. Add chile paste, water and spices and
>> simmer for 15 minutes. Note: for thicker sauce, use less liquid. Use
>> over burros, chimichangas or enchiladas.

> -------------------------

.. I think they call it Roe? I love roe, we call
> it gravy here at home and it's a great way to thicken a sauce.
>
> Wayne

Roux and it is not gravy. It is however one of the most important and most
basic of elements to know in making sauces, especially the mother sauces.
You going to have to learn these terms Wayne before you will ever understand
cooking

http://busycooks.about.com/library/g.../bldefroux.htm

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 16, 8:05?pm, Sonoran Dude offered
> That is unless you want authentic North of the Tropic of Cancer
> Enchilada sauce:

> Brown flour and oil in a saucepan. Add chile paste, water and spices and
> simmer for 15 minutes.

That's Authentic TexMex Spicy Brown Gravy. The History Channel has
repeatedly shown the same video about how Americans came to think of
TexMex as "authentic" Mexican food.

It's one thing to put white corn masa into your enchilada sauce to
thicken it and quite another thing to make a "roux", Louisiana style,
and then add chile to it.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 17, 11:27 am, "The Galloping Gourmand"
> wrote:

> It's one thing to put white corn masa into your enchilada sauce to
> thicken it and quite another thing to make a "roux", Louisiana style,
> and then add chile to it.

And yet maybe another to make a roux with fat and masa harina, which
is what I do.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

The Galloping Gourmand wrote:
> On Feb 16, 8:05?pm, Sonoran Dude offered
>> That is unless you want authentic North of the Tropic of Cancer
>> Enchilada sauce:

>> Brown flour and oil in a saucepan. Add chile paste, water and spices and
>> simmer for 15 minutes.

> That's Authentic TexMex Spicy Brown Gravy. The History Channel has
> repeatedly shown the same video about how Americans came to think of
> TexMex as "authentic" Mexican food.
>
> It's one thing to put white corn masa into your enchilada sauce to
> thicken it and quite another thing to make a "roux", Louisiana style,
> and then add chile to it.

Sorry to burst your bubble gourmet dude but I don't agree with what you
watched on the History Channel, this is all Arizona... nothing Texas
about it. The famous Hayden flour mill in Tempe AZ is over 100 years old
and the native Indians had been milling wheat flour since before that.
Bisbee Arizona was the 3rd largest city in the US in it's hay day and
the largest community west of the Mississipi. (Larger than San
Fransisco). From the start of operations in 1874, the Hayden mill became
one of the most widely known institutions in the Arizona Territory. In
early territorial days the product of this mill was carried in freight
wagons and by pack-trains to most of the mining camps and military posts
in the Territory and its output was estimated in millions of dollars.
Army and government contracts running into hundreds of thousands of
dollars were filled from this mill and Hayden Flour was known in every
town and mining camp in Arizona. The Salt River Pima Indians grew wheat
which they brought to the mill by horseback, and Hayden established
trading posts on the Gila River Indian Reservation to supply the mill.
Hayden Mills flour sacks were an important source of children's clothing
for many pioneer families. The mill, along with Hayden's store,
warehouses, blacksmith shop, and ferry, became the trade center for the
south side of the Salt River Valley (Phoenix). The large thin flour
tortilla burro (burrito in your parts) has been traced back to Father
Kino's writings when he started his missions in the Santa Cruz valley in
1691. Texas came to be in 1845, over 150 years after Father Kino dined
on a "burrito".
If you have ever been to Arizona and tried our chili you would know
better than to compare us with Texas. The cumin is used very sparingly
and I think our unique flavor comes from the oregano. To each his own.
The New Mexico recipe is prepared very similarly but uses a hotter and
darker chili pod and some seeds.

1 tbs flour 1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbs oil 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, ground
2 cups Santa Cruz "Chile de Ristra" Chili paste 1 tsp oregano
3 to 4 cups hot water or meat broth 1 tbs crushed red chile
Brown flour and oil in a saucepan. Add chili paste, water and spices and
simmer for 15 minutes. Note: for thicker sauce, use less liquid. Use
over burros, chimichangas or enchiladas.

You can find these and more authentic Arizona/Sonoran recipes he
http://www.santacruzchili.com/recipes/recipes.html

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 16, 12:51 pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:

> For north of the Tropic of Cancer enchiladas use Jame's recipe.
> For south of the Tropic of Cancer, real Mexican food, ...

Interesting. I imagine Rolly's friend and host, Doña Martha, would be
surprised to learn that she doesn't cook real Mexican food, since she
lives north of the Tropic.

> For a simple, no frills enchilada, called entomatada, lightly fry the corn
> tortillas in a flat frying pan into which you have put enough cooking oil so
> the tortillas will not stick, but will drain the oil. Put lightly fried
> tortilla onto plate, roll it. ...

I was going to mention entomatadas, but I know them as tortillas not
rolled but folded into quarters after passing them through hot fat (or
not) and the sauce. Variations are enfrijoladas (black bean sauce)
and enmoladas (mole), as well as enchiladas oaxaqueños (chile sauce).
These are all from Oaxacan fondas, so there is at least one chile
sauce within the tropics. (All from _A Cook's Tour of Mexico_ by Nancy
Zaslavsky)

Another, more complicated combination of tortillas and sauce is a
recipe for encacahuatadas (peanut sauce) from Veracruz. Besides
roasted peanuts, the sauce has pork stock, ancho chiles, sesame seeds,
and Mexican chocolate. This prep uses pork picadillo for the filling.
I haven't made this yet, but when I do, I'll use my default picadillo
with ground turkey instead of pork. (_Zarela's Veracruz_ by Zarela
Martinez)

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default enchillada sauce (correction "authentic")

Sonoran Dude wrote:

> You can find these and more authentic Arizona/Sonoran recipes he
> http://www.santacruzchili.com/recipes/recipes.html

Before everyone goes off on the word authentic above... these recipes
are from a commercial grower serving the hospitality industry here in
Arizona and New Mexico. They do ship their products UPS for small
shipments. Authentic would be to cook down the pods from scratch but
since the paste is so fresh and readily available here in our local
markets it is much more convenient to use the all natural paste. I cook
both ways and can't tell the difference. Additionally the Santa Cruz red
chili powder has been a staple here in Arizona since I was a kid and I
use it in slow cooked barbecue rubs or just to make pan fried tacos for
the kids. It stores very well on the shelf and is packaged in a unique
paper box. Here is a good article about the good things coming out of
these farms...
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/santacruz.asp

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"dtwright37" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 17, 11:27 am, "The Galloping Gourmand"
> > wrote:
>
> > It's one thing to put white corn masa into your enchilada sauce to
> > thicken it and quite another thing to make a "roux", Louisiana style,
> > and then add chile to it.

> And yet maybe another to make a roux with fat and masa harina, which
> is what I do.
>
> David

Never tried that!

In fact, I don't thincken anything I cook resembling Mexcian food. Atole is
the exception and it's a drink.

Mole is theckened by the natural chile ancho and charred/crumbled corn
tortillas added to the broth.

But... hey, we are making what we want to happen, happen! So why not?

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

> [...]

> 1691. Texas came to be in 1845, over 150 years after Father Kino dined
> on a "burrito".
> If you have ever been to Arizona and tried our chili you would know
> better than to compare us with Texas. The cumin is used very sparingly
> and I think our unique flavor comes from the oregano. To each his own.
> The New Mexico recipe is prepared very similarly but uses a hotter and
> darker chili pod and some seeds.
>
> 1 tbs flour 1 tsp garlic powder
> 2 tbs oil 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, ground
> 2 cups Santa Cruz "Chile de Ristra" Chili paste 1 tsp oregano
> 3 to 4 cups hot water or meat broth 1 tbs crushed red chile
> Brown flour and oil in a saucepan. Add chili paste, water and spices and
> simmer for 15 minutes. Note: for thicker sauce, use less liquid. Use
> over burros, chimichangas or enchiladas.
>
> You can find these and more authentic Arizona/Sonoran recipes he

This is what I love about this newsgroup! I can learn something with every
posting. I can see wheat being introduced by the Friars and Priests as they
came to Christianize the natives who had been planting and harvesting maize
since the Olmecs introduced it to them some 6,000 years ago... or more. We
now know maize has been cultivated for over 9,000 years, and chiles over
6,000 years in the Americas.

I can see the demand for wheat by the white folk flocking to the West;
people who might have had trouble getting their taste buds around the maza
stuff like atole, tortillas, tamales and the like. Also my be that with the
receding Wisconsin ice cap, the land was changing from producing maize to
more abundant wheat because of depleted soil? Could the mystery of the
Pueblo Indian Cliff Dwellers demise be because their soil had been depleted,
like the land in Yucatan for the Mayas, and wheat came to save the day?

Interesting to speculate on this.

So, we have more mixes north of the Tropic of Cancer than thought of before.
Cattle replaces deer, chickens replace turkeys, wheat replaces maize, cumin
replaces oregano... and on we go.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 17, 3:03 pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:
> "dtwright37" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...> On Feb 17, 11:27 am, "The Galloping Gourmand"
> > > wrote:

> > > It's one thing to put white corn masa into your enchilada sauce to
> > > thicken it and quite another thing to make a "roux", Louisiana style,
> > > and then add chile to it.

> > And yet maybe another to make a roux with fat and masa harina, which
> > is what I do.

> > David

> Never tried that!

It's worth a try, then. It gives a nice rustic, corn flavor to the
sauce.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> [...]

> now know maize has been cultivated for over 9,000 years, and chiles over
> 6,000 years in the Americas.
>
> I can see the demand for wheat by the white folk flocking to the West;
> people who might have had trouble getting their taste buds around the maza
> stuff like atole, tortillas, tamales and the like. Also my be that with the
> receding Wisconsin ice cap, the land was changing from producing maize to
> more abundant wheat because of depleted soil? Could the mystery of the
> Pueblo Indian Cliff Dwellers demise be because their soil had been depleted,
> like the land in Yucatan for the Mayas, and wheat came to save the day?
>
> Interesting to speculate on this.
>
> So, we have more mixes north of the Tropic of Cancer than thought of before.
> Cattle replaces deer, chickens replace turkeys, wheat replaces maize, cumin

We like a little cumino but in SMALL DOSES! Tex/Mex has it's unique
flavor which is good also. I love cumin in East Indian dishes but here
in Arizona there is just a hint of it.

Just watched Rick Bayless today... OMG... time to get out the shovel and
build a pit. Great stuff about Yucatan BBQ and I picked up on one of my
all time favorite Mexican condiments, the marinated onion. Easy to make
according to him.

Sliced red onions covered in lime juice and salt and throw it in the
fridge for a few hours. If I had known it was that easy I would have
been making it for the last 15 years when I had a taco south of the
border with it!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Top posting here with fear and trepidation. But if a person has read the
original thread, then this may save time. If you did not read the original
thread, scroll down until you see it.

My response: Marinated onion looks great. Also do the same with sliced
Jicama but add ground red pepper before eating.

Wayne