Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Cooking

Does anyone know of any good mexican places to eat in Scotland

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 6, 6:27?am, "
> wrote:
> Does anyone know of any good mexican places to eat in Scotland

There's a Mexican restaurant called "Pancho Villa's" in Glasgow.

Once you get there, you can never leave. ;-)

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 6, 6:27?am, "
> wrote:
> Does anyone know of any good mexican places to eat in Scotland

If you use about a handful of chile powder and a tablespoon of cumin
instead of pepper the next time you make haggis, you'll have something
that would delight a visiting Mexican (or one of our Taco Heads who
adores organ meats...)

But you would need tortillas and refried beans and Mexican rice to
complete the Plato Tipico de Caledonia...

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 6, 10:31 pm, Sonoran Dude > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Does anyone know of any good mexican places to eat in Scotland

> No but if I were to open one I would call it McChuy's

Why McChuys ?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Feb 13, 6:06?am, "
> wrote:

> Why McChuys ?

You're right, the McChuy's chain would be in Dublin and Belfast and
Galway.

The Edinburgh, Aberdeen, and Glasgow restaurants would have to be
called MacChuy's...

If a chicano is named Jes?s, his homeboys call him Chucho, or Chuy.
"Chuy's" sounds "cooler" than "Jes?s' Tacos".

Bestowing a gang nickname on their friends is a form of rebelling
against the "establishment" and the repressive Catholic church and
their mothers who had hoped their sons would become priests someday...

Chuy's is a chain of Mexican fastfood restaurants that is more
pretentious than Taco Bell or Del Taco.

Chuy's caters to Harley Davidson riders and cruisers who meet there
one night a week to compare their possessions.

Chuy's also attracts car clubs and lowriders and chicanos who are
trying to live "mi vida loca".

If too many bikers show up and just hang around the parking lot and
don't buy any food inside the restaurant, that doesn't help business,
but what would Chuy's do, disinvite potential customers with a lot of
discretionary income?

Eventually the local police force solves the problem of cruising by
ticketing motorcycles with loud exhaust pipes and the bikers complain
about being singled out because of their choice of transportation.

I stopped at Chuy's in Santa Clarita once, and looked at all the Rich
Urban Bikers standing around in the parking lot.

It wasn't anything like the wild cruise nights on Van Nuys Boulevard
that the cops shut down in the late 1970's.

But the Chuy's crowd was older, they weren't a bunch of college kids
looking for Spring Break every Wednesday night.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

The Galloping Gourmand wrote:
> On Feb 13, 6:06?am, "
> > wrote:
>
>> Why McChuys ?

> You're right, the McChuy's chain would be in Dublin and Belfast and
> Galway.
>
> The Edinburgh, Aberdeen, and Glasgow restaurants would have to be
> called MacChuy's...
>
> If a chicano is named Jes?s, his homeboys call him Chucho, or Chuy.
> "Chuy's" sounds "cooler" than "Jes?s' Tacos".
>
> Bestowing a gang nickname on their friends is a form of rebelling
> against the "establishment" and the repressive Catholic church and
> their mothers who had hoped their sons would become priests someday...
>
> Chuy's is a chain of Mexican fastfood restaurants that is more
> pretentious than Taco Bell or Del Taco.
>
> Chuy's caters to Harley Davidson riders and cruisers who meet there
> one night a week to compare their possessions.
>
> Chuy's also attracts car clubs and lowriders and chicanos who are
> trying to live "mi vida loca".
>
> If too many bikers show up and just hang around the parking lot and
> don't buy any food inside the restaurant, that doesn't help business,
> but what would Chuy's do, disinvite potential customers with a lot of
> discretionary income?
>
> Eventually the local police force solves the problem of cruising by
> ticketing motorcycles with loud exhaust pipes and the bikers complain
> about being singled out because of their choice of transportation.
>
> I stopped at Chuy's in Santa Clarita once, and looked at all the Rich
> Urban Bikers standing around in the parking lot.
>
> It wasn't anything like the wild cruise nights on Van Nuys Boulevard
> that the cops shut down in the late 1970's.
>
> But the Chuy's crowd was older, they weren't a bunch of college kids
> looking for Spring Break every Wednesday night.

Dork alert!
First of all Chuy is not a gang nickname. It has been around for many
generations. Chuy is a nickname for Jesus or Jesús. The Mac names of
Scottish decent were typically shortened in the new world because you
took the spelling of the guy making out your paperwork. There are many
Mac Clans in the US, Canada and Mexico called Mc's. For example
MacFarlane is a Scottish name from the same clan now named McFarlane in
the US and Canada.
Since this fictitious restaurant in Scotland will serve drinks and new
world food I would still call it McChuy's because it is unique, fun and
literally incorrect for the anal types like you that we wouldn't want to
cater to in the first place.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sonoran Dude wrote:

> The Mac names of
> Scottish decent were typically shortened in the new world because you
> took the spelling of the guy making out your paperwork.

It doesn't matter what the immigration examiners did at Ellis Island
80 years ago, your fantasy restaurant in Scotland would confuse Scots
who aren't immigrants.

The Scots would be wondering who the Irishman was who started
"McChuy's"

> Since this fictitious restaurant in Scotland will serve drinks and new
> world food I would still call it McChuy's because it is unique, fun and
> literally incorrect for the anal types like you that we wouldn't want to
> cater to in the first place.

I doubt that you would get much of a Chuy's-type crowd in Edinburgh,
as petrol costs about $9.00 a gallon and the Scots don't go in for
cruising and low riding
and having sex in cars.

The average Scotsman wasn't conceived in the back seat of a Chort,
yannow...

There is an international food court in Edinburgh, near the statue of
Sir Walter Scott.
It's underground so you don't even know it's there until you see the
escalators going down.

If there is a taco stand in Edinburgh, that's where it would be.