Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Mexican avocados are here!

Finally! Californians can buy a Mexican avocado! That means that no longer
will we be hostage to $2.00 each for a medium sized avo grown under
monopoly.

Guacamole... here I come! (With a venganza)

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> Finally! Californians can buy a Mexican avocado! That means that no longer
> will we be hostage to $2.00 each for a medium sized avo grown under
> monopoly.
>
> Guacamole... here I come! (With a venganza)
>
> Wayne

Great news Wayne,

Here in AZ Eddie Basha owns 2 grocery chains, one called Bashas... and
one called Food City that caters to the Hispanic population.
Limes at Bashas 2 for a dollar
Same Limes at Food city 8 for a dollar
Avocados 99 cents
Same Avocados at Food City 4 or 5 for a dollar
All produce comes out of the same warehouse.

Nice thing about shopping both stores is to take advantage of the
promotional items. Hispanic markets here move more produce so the items
are fresher and they discount the price. Gringo stores are good for
Booze and Dairy.

Mexican avocados are delicious but California Hass are still the gold
standard in my opinion... Since we have been importing Mexican avocados
we rarely get stuck with the florida avocados that make a pretty good
wallpaper paste.

I hear that Australian Avocados are delicious... never tried them but
plan to make a visit next Christmas. I'll keep you posted.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:

> Finally! Californians can buy a Mexican avocado! That means that no longer
> will we be hostage to $2.00 each for a medium sized avo grown under
> monopoly.
>
> Guacamole... here I come! (With a venganza)
>
> Wayne

Back in '84, I lived in Southern California and would walk past a fenced
lot on my way to the beach. All that was in the lot were avocado trees.
Every so often I would pick a few up that were on the sidewalk. One day
I picked one up that was bigger than a softball. Once it was ripe, I
opened it up and was very surprised to find that the pit was smaller
than a golf ball. I ate twice off that one avocado. I often wonder if
that tree is still growing there.

JP

Mexican Haas Avocados A Moose in Love General Cooking 49 04-11-2011 03:15 AM
Avocados Damsel General Cooking 8 30-05-2009 07:25 PM
About all these avocados... Nexis General Cooking 29 21-06-2008 04:42 AM
Too many avocados [email protected] General Cooking 29 08-06-2007 12:19 AM
BUM avocados. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 2 19-02-2007 07:55 PM