Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk)

Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
So old Mexico!
Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
fun.

Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
dessert.

So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home but I
did buy a mix for making it at home.

Opinions?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk)

Yields: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup long grain rice, rinsed
2 quarts water
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
1/2 cup white sugar

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large saucepan, combine rice, water and cinnamon stick. Set aside
for 3 hours.
2. After 3 hours, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Allow to cool.
3. Puree rice mixture in a blender until smooth. Strain through cheesecloth
or a fine sieve. Flavor with vanilla and sugar to taste. Chill, and serve
over ice.

--
http://www.myspace.com/bigdaddykahuna2

"When my body stops and my brain has to slam on its brakes, will it skid a
few more feet before it crashes?"
John Hartford
You are only given a small spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin
Williams

"pamjd" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
> So old Mexico!
> Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
> fun.
>
> Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
> dessert.
>

> So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
> think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home but I
> did buy a mix for making it at home.
>

> Opinions?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

pamjd wrote:

> So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink?

Horchata (or orxata, as they call it in Valencia), is not Mexican, it's
been around since the time of Egyptians.

It's a vegetable based milk substitute. Nothing to rave about. But
maybe if the makers would let it ferment for two weeks, it might
develop an alcoholic kick, like mead, made of barley and honey.

Beer was originally a way to store grain compactly...

There are several kinds of vegetable beverages, made of ground almonds,
rice, barley or tigernuts (chufas). Nobody makes horchata out of barley
anymore, according to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horchata

You might try soy milk to get the taste of Valencian orxata, if you
don't plan to go there and sample orxata de chufas.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Mike wrote:
> Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk)
>
> Yields: 8 servings
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> 1 cup long grain rice, rinsed
> 2 quarts water
> 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
> 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
> 1/2 cup white sugar
>
> DIRECTIONS:
> 1. In a large saucepan, combine rice, water and cinnamon stick. Set
> aside for 3 hours.
> 2. After 3 hours, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30
> minutes. Allow to cool.
> 3. Puree rice mixture in a blender until smooth. Strain through
> cheesecloth or a fine sieve. Flavor with vanilla and sugar to taste.
> Chill, and serve over ice.

This recipe sounds good, but I'd add almonds to make it more authentic.

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

The Galloping Gourmand wrote:

> Horchata (or orxata, as they call it in Valencia), is not Mexican, it's
> been around since the time of Egyptians.

I fear a diversion from discussing a traditional drink enjoyed
throughout Mexico due to the fact that it is not "Mexican". Many
things brought to Mexico by the Spanish, also, may be called "not
Mexican", but they ARE Mexican now.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"pamjd" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
> So old Mexico!
> Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
> fun.
>
> Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
> dessert.
>

> So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
> think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home but I
> did buy a mix for making it at home.
>

> Opinions?

Love horchata no matter how you spell it. It's found in those big fruit
juice jars everywhere in Mexico, especially in the central market eateries,
bus stops and the like. It's wonderfully refreshing and nutritious as well.

Yes... it came over from Africa with the black slaves on Spanish ships.
These were the people who introduced rice onto the American continent. As
they did coffee and garlic among other great things. They took back
chocolate, tomatoes, maize and a whole lot more to liven up the variety of
goodies to be mixed in a kitchen. And new dishes are appearing every day
using those and other ingredients we are discovering from Burma, the Orient,
India...

Life is good. Let's help our Homeland Security people keep the suitcase
bombs out!

Life is good!

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Jack Tyler wrote:

> I fear a diversion from discussing a traditional drink enjoyed
> throughout Mexico due to the fact that it is not "Mexican". Many
> things brought to Mexico by the Spanish, also, may be called "not
> Mexican", but they ARE Mexican now.

Mea culpa. I should have said that horchata is not of Mexican *origin*.

Mexicans must certainly enjoy drinking their version of horchata, as
every Mexican juice bar has a few gallons of it mixed up and ready to
dispense.

I tried it once, but I knew what it was going to taste like from having
eaten white rice with milk, sugar and cinnamon when I was a child.

It seems that the cook in the elementary school cafeteria would prepare
Spanish rice for school lunches. But she knew that a few of the picky
eaters wouldn't touch anything with tomatos in it, so she made white
rice for those kids.

I was one of those kids. So horchata seems thin and unsatisfying by
comparison.

I wonder if Mexicans ever make horchata flavored ice cream?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

pamjd wrote:
> Went to a wonderful lunch at the Mexican resturant in Postville Iowa.
> So old Mexico!
> Yesterday they had a 2 piece band playing most the afternoon. Such
> fun.
>
> Had to have a big glass of Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) instead of
> dessert.
>

> So refreshing. Does anyone else have opinion on this yummy drink? I
> think it would have to be over ice. I hve not made it at home but I
> did buy a mix for making it at home.

I like it.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Flying Machine - http://pad39a.com/gene/

Oatmeal Cookies, Cinnamon Rolls, Rice Krispie Bars! Michael O'Connor General Cooking 0 20-09-2010 02:49 AM
Rice milk. Anne General Cooking 0 20-06-2007 04:41 PM
Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk) pamjd General Cooking 27 17-01-2007 05:08 AM
Soy or Rice milk? Richard Miller Vegan 5 13-05-2006 12:19 AM
Hot Milk Cinnamon Cake Tim Recipes 0 10-07-2005 02:38 PM