Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Caldo de Pescado

What kind of fish is "pescado cazón" and how long should it be cooked,
considering that this is meant to be soup?

If dried chiles de arból are used without soaking and de-seeding,
won't a bowl of Caldo de Pescado be extremely spicy?

Caldo de Pescado

Ingredientes:
3 cucharaditas de aceite
1/2 cebolla rebanada
2 dientes de ajo picados
3/4 libra de jitomate liquado y colado
3 zanhorias peladas y cortadas en cubitos
2 papas peladas y cortadas en cubitos
8 tazas de agua
4 cubos de caldo de tomate
2 libras de pescado cazón cortado en trozos
6 chiles de arból secos
Limón al gusto

Preparación:
Caliente el aceite y sofria la cebolla, el ajo, y el tomate.

Cuando acitronen, agregue las verduras y cocine por dos minutos.

Añada el agua, las hierbas de olor, el caldo de tomate, el cazón y
los chiles.

Deje que hirva.

Sirva caliente con unas gotas de limón.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Cazon is shark and we would pinch the meat into strings and fry in olive oil
for an hour then serve as a taco filling. Add some olives toward the end and
some diced tomato. It's great!

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

[...]

Wayne is being PC here, It is a dogfish here, just call it a Rock Salmon and
no one will care. Firm flesh, mild taste, which is why the chiles. Try
using it in caveach. Have your local Salmon fishermen keep one of two for
next time he goes out instead of killing and tossing em overboard.
Europeans eat em

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:

> Have your local Salmon fishermen keep one of two for
> next time he goes out instead of killing and tossing em overboard.
> Europeans eat em

Local salmon fishermen?

Nobody has fished for salmon here since WW2. This county got its name
because
of all the reeds surrounding a huge lake that attracted migratory birds
and herds of elk and the Native Americans that lived a sedentary
lifestyle there on the lake shore.

The lake was fed by snowmelt from a high mountain range and several
rivers still flow
downwards toward the lake but those rivers are dammed for flood control
during the rainy season and irrigation during the dry months.

A 400 square mile forest grew along the banks of the rivers, but 99% of
it was cleared away to make room for Spanish style cattle ranching, and
then farming and orange groves.

The great river that flowed to the sea and attracted salmon spawning
has gone dry.

The huge lake is dry, but the birds keep migrating to it. A few elk are
left in an elk sanctuary. The center of the valley is now technically a
desert.

And riparian famers have used the fertile bottom land to plant crops
like cotton, which devastate the land further...

However, the government is going to make the farmers surrender the land
and the river will be restored, and the salmon should hopefully return.

But probably not in my lifetime.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Gunner wrote:
>

>> Have your local Salmon fishermen keep one of two for
>> next time he goes out instead of killing and tossing em overboard.
>> Europeans eat em

> Local salmon fishermen?
>
> Nobody has fished for salmon here since WW2. This county got its name
> because
> of all the reeds surrounding a huge lake that attracted migratory birds
> and herds of elk and the Native Americans that lived a sedentary
> lifestyle there on the lake shore.
>
> The lake was fed by snowmelt from a high mountain range and several
> rivers still flow
> downwards toward the lake but those rivers are dammed for flood control
> during the rainy season and irrigation during the dry months.
>
> A 400 square mile forest grew along the banks of the rivers, but 99% of
> it was cleared away to make room for Spanish style cattle ranching, and
> then farming and orange groves.
>
> The great river that flowed to the sea and attracted salmon spawning
> has gone dry.
>
> The huge lake is dry, but the birds keep migrating to it. A few elk are
> left in an elk sanctuary. The center of the valley is now technically a
> desert.
>
> And riparian famers have used the fertile bottom land to plant crops
> like cotton, which devastate the land further...
>
> However, the government is going to make the farmers surrender the land
> and the river will be restored, and the salmon should hopefully return.
>
> But probably not in my lifetime.

Yawn, how Idyllic blah blah, The sport fisherman there, slick, ya still got
Sea Lions, you got Salmon, where there are Salmon, there are the Dogfish but
you have no intention of trying that recipe you snatched off the internet
from Terra do you?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:

> but you have no intention of trying that recipe you snatched off the internet
> from Terra do you?

I did not "snatch" the recipe off the internet, but it is possible that
whoever contributed the recipe to the local Spanish language newspaper
found it somewhere on the web. The newspaper usually mentions the
contributor's name though, so it's likely that the editors of "Nuestro
Cocina" are the copyright infringers.

However, posting some copyrighted material for the purpose of
discussion in a limited newsgroup is far from unethical.

Similar recipes on www.terra.com showed that Caldo de Pescado was made
with mako shark in Costa Rica, and claimed that shark was an
"aphrodisiac" [as if hot-blooded Latinos *need* love potions ;-) ] but
the recipe on that webpage specified sole or red snapper.

And, as to whether I will actually try to cook ANY recipe depends upon
the convenient availability of the ingredients. If a recipe calls for
penguin meat, I'm not going to book passage to Antarctica to acquire it.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

The Galloping Gourmand wrote:
> Gunner wrote:
>
> > but you have no intention of trying that recipe you snatched off the internet
> > from Terra do you?

> I did not "snatch" the recipe off the internet, but it is possible that
> whoever contributed the recipe to the local Spanish language newspaper
> found it somewhere on the web.

You and Gunner need to get a room! ;-)

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Fish Soup

"The Galloping Gourmand" AKA Head Banging Hank writes

> I did not "snatch" the recipe off the internet, but it is possible that
> whoever contributed the recipe to the local Spanish language newspaper
> found it somewhere on the web. The newspaper usually mentions the
> contributor's name though, so it's likely that the editors of "Nuestro
> Cocina" are the copyright infringers.
>
> However, posting some copyrighted material for the purpose of
> discussion in a limited newsgroup is far from unethical.

But as has been explained ad nauseum it is proper to credit the Newspaper or
columnist you "borrowed" it from. blah, blah, blah

> Similar recipes on www.terra.com showed that Caldo de Pescado was made
> with mako shark in Costa Rica, and claimed that shark was an
> "aphrodisiac" [as if hot-blooded Latinos *need* love potions ;-) ] but
> the recipe on that webpage specified sole or red snapper.

This is in reference to what? Caldo de Pescado is fish soup in your
vernacular isn't it? Fairly easy to
understand that you could use most any fish for a recipe named Fish Soup so
you
could use your goldfish if you wanted. Kinda like Beef Stew or Chicken
soup?

YOU however listed "pescado cazón cortado en trozos" and YOU wanted
to know what that was, like the yellow potato and Bell Pepper. Wayne gave
you the general interpretation of Cazon as shark. I further defined the
specific fish YOU asked about as a DOGFISH and I have already told you can
get in your waters but you chose to play a silly little misspelling game and
give another boring dissertation That I think plays to your hidden agenda.
This continuing habit of throwing superficial and diversionary BS fact into
your statements, continuously injecting subliminal elitism message of
Mexicans do not know how to eat Mexican Foods in furtherance of your Racist
attitude?

> And, as to whether I will actually try to cook ANY recipe depends upon
> the convenient availability of the ingredients.

Ya think maybe that is the answer to why the evolutionary process of cooking
is different in various parts of a country or a region and why your endless
banter of Tacos and Tamales is stupidly childish. You eschewing the
commonality of man while pretending you are socially and racially superior
is pathetic

>If a recipe calls for penguin meat, I'm not going to book passage to
>Antarctica to acquire it.

One can only hope you would go there if you continue to use such asinine
comments as this one.

Speaking of Continents! What Continent are you in your Head Busting Hank
persona talking about here? "There's a whole friggin' CONTINENT over there
somewhere, it's for Latrinos.
Follow the smell. You'll find it."

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> The Galloping Gourmand wrote:
>> Gunner wrote:
>>
>> > but you have no intention of trying that recipe you snatched off the
>> > internet
>> > from Terra do you?

>> I did not "snatch" the recipe off the internet, but it is possible that
>> whoever contributed the recipe to the local Spanish language newspaper
>> found it somewhere on the web.

> You and Gunner need to get a room! ;-)
>
> Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message
[snip]

Not that there much hope beyond your normal spasms, but do try to
say _something_...

The Ranger

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> The Galloping Gourmand wrote:
>> Gunner wrote:
>>
>> > but you have no intention of trying that recipe you snatched off the
>> > internet
>> > from Terra do you?

>> I did not "snatch" the recipe off the internet, but it is possible that
>> whoever contributed the recipe to the local Spanish language newspaper
>> found it somewhere on the web.

> You and Gunner need to get a room! ;-)
>
> Jack

Jack, beating around a bush is never a solution, you have to say what you
mean and mean what you say. It does not hurt my feelings at all you
trying to tell me to knock it off and do understand I did read it the first
time. I just ignored it out of respect but you need to understand that
well intended and well meaning folks getting in the middle trying to play
Swiss do not help anything nor do I respect that position. In my world it
is you either stand for what you believe is right or you stand aside.
There is no little jackal going to get away with drinking with the herd in
the day and then ****ing in the pool at night.

I am sure you will give sage advice here after some careful thought , just
understand where I stand and please refrain from diminishing my point about
this.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Gunner <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message
> [snip]
>
> Not that there much hope beyond your normal spasms, but do try to
> say _something_...
>
> The Ranger

OK Ricky Ranger, are squawking from the sidelines or do you have something
sage to add here?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message
> [..] do you have something sage to add here?

You should nuzzle with the muzzle of a Smith&Wesson. That'd make the
world a better place almost immediately.

ObTopic: An El Salvadoran friend made one of the best caldo de
pescado using monkfish and turnips. Her motto was always, "Use
fresh. Use cheap. Add heart to enjoy."

The Ranger

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> "Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > The Galloping Gourmand wrote:

> >> I did not "snatch" the recipe off the internet, but it is possible that
> >> whoever contributed the recipe to the local Spanish language newspaper
> >> found it somewhere on the web.

> > You and Gunner need to get a room! ;-)
> >
> > Jack

> Jack, beating around a bush is never a solution, you have to say what you
> mean and mean what you say. It does not hurt my feelings at all you
> trying to tell me to knock it off and do understand I did read it the first
> time. I just ignored it out of respect but you need to understand that
> well intended and well meaning folks getting in the middle trying to play
> Swiss do not help anything nor do I respect that position. In my world it
> is you either stand for what you believe is right or you stand aside.
> There is no little jackal going to get away with drinking with the herd in
> the day and then ****ing in the pool at night.
>
> I am sure you will give sage advice here after some careful thought , just
> understand where I stand and please refrain from diminishing my point about
> this.

OK. However, you have to understand that there are only 5-6 posters
here and if we lose one of you, that's 20%.

Take care.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Gunner <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message
>> [..] do you have something sage to add here?

> You should nuzzle with the muzzle of a Smith&Wesson. That'd make the
> world a better place almost immediately.
>
> ObTopic: An El Salvadoran friend made one of the best caldo de
> pescado using monkfish and turnips. Her motto was always, "Use
> fresh. Use cheap. Add heart to enjoy."
>
> The Ranger

Ooooo Little Ranger Ian, you are so cute and that comment is so cleverly
worded. I admit you got bit of mouth for sure but I'm betting you are just
one of those little schoolyard sissy boys that egged on a fight from the
back of the crowd so you could run away to mommie real fast when it hit the
fan. I'm betting you can't ride the river? Do recall you have already
fessed up you never were a Ranger. Now go play with your little Lady Wesson
some more.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner <gunner@ spam.com> pewled endlessly in message
[snip completely forgettable drivel and dreck]

Be a man's man and pull the trigger already. I doubt you're either
but anything to put an end to your endless yammering.

The Ranger
--
USER, n.: The word computer professionals use when they mean
"idiot."

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking