Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Who would ever think of frying a lobster in pork lard?

Who would ever think of frying a lobster in pork lard and then dipping
it in butter?

My girlfriend (who was from Boston) and I stopped for brunch at a small
restaurant somewhere between Tijuana and Ensenada. I ordered huevos con
tocino or huevos rancheros, but she had to have lobster at 11:00 AM so
I ordered that for her.

She ate all but one small piece and said, "I don't know what that is,
but it's not lobster."

I ate the last piece and agreed that if it was lobster, it was the
strangest lobster I had ever eaten.
I wasn't going to argue with the waiter or manager about the subject of
a meal already consumed, so we paid up and left.

But this description from the menu of Hacienda de Los Morales explains
that langosta is cooked that way in Baja California:

"La Langosta Estilo Puerto Nuevo: Platillo típico de Puerto Nuevo,
Baja California, una Langosta fresca, frita en manteca de cerdo y
acompañada de arroz rojo, frijoles bayos refritos, salsa de chile de
árbol y mantequilla derretida, acompañada de las típicas tortillas
de harina gigantes recién hechas, del comal a su mesa. Toda una
experiencia de la gastronomía de Baja California."

Salsa de chile de árbol y mantequilla derretida, on top of lobster
fried in lard? Is that like too much cholesterol, or what?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

--------

Why not? The latest and greatest is to fry your Thanksgiving turkey in a
special fry pot. Carnitas are among the most delicious of all taco fillers
and they are pork deep fried in lard. Of course the lard is allowed to drip
off leaving very little residue. The butter gives it that very extra special
Puerto Nuvo flavor that is taking this part of the world by storm. Seems
like every day a new Puerto Nuevo Style Lobster is showing up from San
Ysidro to Oceanside.

We used to caravan to Puerto Nuevo at least three times a year to pig out on
that wonderful dish.

Everything in moderation! And we are re-learning that natural fats are
better than what we have been led to believe by the veggie crowd. Seems like
the body is able to pass animal fat through the system and not keep it in
cells. But that's a subject I'm totally ignorant on. All I know is that when
I make beans, I force the enzyme change in the bean so it is wholly
digestible and I can enjoy gassles beans. But that's another story.

Did she enjoy the langostino?

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> "The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
> ups.com...

> Salsa de chile de árbol y mantequilla derretida, on top of lobster
> fried in lard? Is that like too much cholesterol, or what?
>
> The butter gives it that very extra special
> Puerto Nuvo flavor that is taking this part of the world by storm. Seems
> like every day a new Puerto Nuevo Style Lobster is showing up from San
> Ysidro to Oceanside.

That's news to me. Do you have any Puerto Nuevo recipes? Please post
them.

> Did she enjoy the langostino?

As I said before, she ate all but one small piece and said, "I don't
know what that is,
but it's not lobster."

I suppose she expected white fluffy lobster, like you get when to boil
a lobster alive in it's shell. The piece I ate reminded me of fried
halibut.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

A while back I wrote a note here about the joys of fried lobster, and
you guys jumped all over me. So I repeat, fried -- sautéed -- lobster
is very good; I like better than boiled. But I'm not too sure about
deep frying in lard.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Rolly wrote:
> A while back I wrote a note here about the joys of fried lobster, and
> you guys jumped all over me. So I repeat, fried -- sautéed -- lobster
> is very good; I like better than boiled. But I'm not too sure about
> deep frying in lard.

In 1985, I was publishing genealogical books and printing them in a
small town in Missouri. Nearby, was a town that was famous for deep
fried lobster. The owner of the printing company took me there for
dinner one night. They dipped the whole lobster tail in a batter and
then deep fried it until the batter was golden brown. It was
delicious. I've never seen it done anywhere else, but it is testimony
to the fact that you can cook anything anyway anywhere for anyone.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> "The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
> ups.com...

> Salsa de chile de árbol y mantequilla derretida, on top of lobster
> fried in lard? Is that like too much cholesterol, or what?
>
> The butter gives it that very extra special
> Puerto Nuvo flavor that is taking this part of the world by storm. Seems
> like every day a new Puerto Nuevo Style Lobster is showing up from San
> Ysidro to Oceanside.

That's news to me. Do you have any Puerto Nuevo recipes? Please post
them.

> Did she enjoy the langostino?

As I said before, she ate all but one small piece and said, "I don't
know what that is,
but it's not lobster."

I suppose she expected white fluffy lobster, like you get when to boil
a lobster alive in it's shell. The piece I ate reminded me of fried
halibut.

----

No recipes. That's one meal I'd rather order from an insolent waiter in
Puerto Nuevo. I'm not sure, but I think the crustacean is dumped into the
pot of oil to kill it, then it's removed and allowed to drip, then put into
an oven to heat it through and through, then taken out, doused with melted
butter and served with the typical Mexican fried rice in red sauce, pinto
beans, flour tortillas and plenty of salsas nearby.

I'm just guessing, but I think the process has to do with the customer
selecting their live lobster/langostino/whatever and the kill, cook and
serve done before you finish your first bottle of Bohemia.

There were only three or four home restaurants in Puerto Nuevo when we
started going there. Now it's a square mile of wall to wall restaurants and
curio shops.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Rolly" > wrote in message
ups.com...
A while back I wrote a note here about the joys of fried lobster, and
you guys jumped all over me. So I repeat, fried -- sautéed -- lobster
is very good; I like better than boiled. But I'm not too sure about
deep frying in lard.
-------

You have been properly vindicated!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Rolly wrote:
> A while back I wrote a note here about the joys of fried lobster, and
> you guys jumped all over me. So I repeat, fried -- sautéed -- lobster
> is very good; I like better than boiled. But I'm not too sure about
> deep frying in lard.

In 1985, I was publishing genealogical books and printing them in a
small town in Missouri. Nearby, was a town that was famous for deep
fried lobster. The owner of the printing company took me there for
dinner one night. They dipped the whole lobster tail in a batter and
then deep fried it until the batter was golden brown. It was
delicious. I've never seen it done anywhere else, but it is testimony
to the fact that you can cook anything anyway anywhere for anyone.

Jack

Absolutely!

Someday I'll publish a short about hunting and cooking armadillo over embers
in it's own shell for the best darned tacos I have ever eaten.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Jack Tyler wrote:

> In 1985, I was publishing genealogical books and printing them in a
> small town in Missouri. Nearby, was a town that was famous for deep
> fried lobster. The owner of the printing company took me there for
> dinner one night. They dipped the whole lobster tail in a batter and
> then deep fried it until the batter was golden brown. It was
> delicious. I've never seen it done anywhere else, but it is testimony
> to the fact that you can cook anything anyway anywhere for anyone.

How does Japanese lobster tempura differ from the deep fried lobster
you ate?

I'm not a big fan of Japanese food, I've only eaten lobster tempura
twice in my life and found it too bland for my taste...

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

The Galloping Gourmand wrote:
> I'm not a big fan of Japanese food, I've only eaten lobster tempura
> twice in my life and found it too bland for my taste...

The lobster tempura I have had was from a strip of lobster. This was
3/4 pound of solid lobster meat.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Rolly wrote:
> A while back I wrote a note here about the joys of fried lobster, and
> you guys jumped all over me. So I repeat, fried -- sautéed -- lobster
> is very good; I like better than boiled. But I'm not too sure about
> deep frying in lard.

Some info I just googled up:

Mexican Lobster restaurants are internationally known for their Puerto
Nuevo Style Lobster. There are over 30 restaurants in Puerto Nuevo, the
interesting thing you will quickly realize is that all the restaurants
in Puerto Nuevo have the same menu; fried lobster, beans, rice, flour
tortillas, chips and salsa, which makes it difficult to choose which
one to eat at. There are a few distinctive differences between all the
restaurants such as some Puerto Nuevo Restaurants use fresh lobster and
some use frozen Lobster. Lobsters in Baja also come in various sizes,
however the best, most tender lobsters are the medium Lobsters weighing
around 1 pound, even the owners will tell you that the Burro or giant
lobsters are very tough.

(That probably explains my experience with the tough greasy lobster on
the way to Ensenada many years ago.)

Lobster Puerto Nuevo style

Puerto Nuevo lobster is deep fried in lard.

Serves six to eight.

6 large Mexican lobsters, cut in half lengthwise
2 cups lard or solid vegetable shortening
1 tbsp seasoned salt
1 tsp pepper
2 cups frijoles
2 cups Spanish rice
18 corn and/or flour tortillas
2 cups salsa fresca
1 cup salsa verde

In heavy, deep skillet heat lard over medium high heat. Fry each half
lobster for five minutes on each side, until meat is crisp, tender and
will pop out of the shell on your fork. Continue for all lobsters.
Drain on paper towels and place on serving dish in the oven on warm
until ready to serve.Heat frijoles and rice. Place in serving dishes.
Heat tortillas in microwave one to two minutes until warm. Place in
covered bread basket. Serve lobster with frijoles, rice, tortillas,
salsas. People can eat the lobster either in a burrito with beans and
salsa, or solo.