Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default La Torta del Chavo del Ocho

El Chavo del Ocho is a character in a popular Mexican TV program. He's
eight years old and has apparently been homeless since the death of an
old woman he lived with until he was four.

He lives in a barrel in the neighborhood, but nobody believes that
anybody could live in a barrel.

El Chavo del Ocho likes ham sandwiches...

http://www.cocinacocinas.com/torta-del-chavo-del-8.php

La torta del chavo del 8

INGREDIENTES:
2 Rebanadas de Jamon
1 Telera ó Bolillo
Mayonesa
Tomate
Aguacate
Queso Blanco
Lechuga
Cebolla al Gusto
Chiles en Vinagre ó Curtidos
sal

MODO DE PREPARACIÓN:
Se rebana la telera a la mitad, se le agrega la mayonesa en ambas
partes, las dos rebanadas de jamon, unas rebanadas de aguacate, unas
rebanadas de cebolla, unas rajas de chile en vinagre, el queso blanco
asi como unas hojitas de lechuga y sal al gusto, despues se calienta en
una parrila y Buen Provecho.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

------------------------------
Very traditional torta. It's exactly how I liked mine. At school in Mexico
the lunch lady specialized in these tortas on teleras. I have never found a
similar telera anywhere except Mexico City. Must be the altitude!

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:

> Very traditional torta. It's exactly how I liked mine. At school in Mexico
> the lunch lady specialized in these tortas on teleras. I have never found a
> similar telera anywhere except Mexico City. Must be the altitude!

In American culture, there is the image of a friend in need who comes
to the rescue
with a ham sandwich.

La torta del Chavo del Ocho seems to have become iconic in Mexican
culture in the same way.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
>
> > Very traditional torta. It's exactly how I liked mine. At school in

Mexico
> > the lunch lady specialized in these tortas on teleras. I have never

found a
> > similar telera anywhere except Mexico City. Must be the altitude!

> In American culture, there is the image of a friend in need who comes
> to the rescue
> with a ham sandwich.
>
> La torta del Chavo del Ocho seems to have become iconic in Mexican
> culture in the same way.

Love it!
Sometimes our school food vendor would spread some refried beans before the
mayo. That's the way I do them at home.

Wayne

Torta bread Sonoran Dude[_3_] Mexican Cooking 11 24-07-2009 06:15 AM
Torta Steve Pope General Cooking 8 14-01-2009 12:29 AM
Torta di Pinoli OreganoFromItaly.com[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 06-05-2007 05:27 PM