Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default chile heat

Doing a bit of research the other day and came across a young chef citing a
paper that claims the heat in a chile is not so much in the placenta and
seeds as I had been lead to believe all these years,but in the inner skin,
that bumpy lining membrane. http://szx.us/chileheat.jpg (Jalapeno
pictured). I did not get the link in my favorites before my computer cleaned
itself up so back to looking for the source of this info in case someone has
it. So has anyone read a similar paper and have a link ?

I took apart a Serrano and a jalapeno this morning , filleted it trying not
to go too deep into the flesh . http://szx.us/Schileheat.jpg (Serrano) here
you can see a slice between the inner membrane and the flesh separating the
two.

Probably would have been as efficient to run the back of a spoon down it
after removing the seed and veins and with a quick rinse that would have
removed most of the heat as it would have to attempt to fillet. I do say
that both chiles were very mild indeed after this, yet heat was evident to
taste in the bumpy membrane. So why is this important? Because if this is
true I believe you can add the texture of chiles to a dish as a vegetable
and then use a
control liquid to add a desired heat level as a spice or use the inner
membrane juice and/or pulp in controlled amounts to add the heat back in..
Happy holidays to all