Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Serious question regarding beans and gas

I have a pet theory, proven through actual usage over the years, but not
substantiated by serious scientific research nor experimentation -- with few
exceptions such as the U of Venuezela.

I just add a spoonful of pure lard and some onion chunks to the cooking
beans. I clean and rinse once then cook in pressure cooker, no soaking
first.Add salt once the husk is loosened and just before fully cooked.

What is your expert opinion on how to prepare black beans and pinto beans in
such a manner to reduce the proverbial flatulence that keeps so many people
from enjoying the full gamut of Mexican food calling for beans in any of
many recipes from frijoles de olla to refrieds and everything in between.

This could be an interesting thread!

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:

> What is your expert opinion on how to prepare black beans and pinto beans in
> such a manner to reduce the proverbial flatulence that keeps so many people
> from enjoying the full gamut of Mexican food calling for beans in any of
> many recipes from frijoles de olla to refrieds and everything in between.
>
> This could be an interesting thread!
>
> Wayne

Soaking dried beans in water overnight then discarding the water, then
rinsing, helps rid the product some of the natural sugars which
contribute to gas and bloating. Other than that, if advertising is to
be believed, add Beano. Cucumbers will make you burp. Beans will make
you fart. That's the way God wanted it. Don't fool with the natural
order of things.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> >
> > What is your expert opinion on how to prepare black beans and pinto

beans in
> > such a manner to reduce the proverbial flatulence that keeps so many

people
> > from enjoying the full gamut of Mexican food calling for beans in any of
> > many recipes from frijoles de olla to refrieds and everything in

between.

> > This could be an interesting thread!
> >
> > Wayne

> Soaking dried beans in water overnight then discarding the water, then
> rinsing, helps rid the product some of the natural sugars which
> contribute to gas and bloating. Other than that, if advertising is to
> be believed, add Beano. Cucumbers will make you burp. Beans will make
> you fart. That's the way God wanted it. Don't fool with the natural
> order of things.
>
> Jack

Is your middle name Socrates? I love your logic!

Thanks.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

My friend Doņa Martha serves beans with every meal, yet no one in the
family has a flatulence problem. The reason is that little bugs in
your gut will adapt to the beans and stop producing gas if you consume
the beans regularly over some period of time. It took me two or three
months of regular beans to be complete free of gas from them. Martha
has no special way of preparing the beans to reduce the gas -- no over
night soaks, in fact no soak at all -- just in the pot and boil --
plain, simple, pristine beans.

To misquote an old cigarette commercial -- Not a fart in a car load.

Of course, if you're going to eat beans only once in a while, you may
profit from some of these remedies.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Rolly" > wrote in message
ups.com...
My friend Doņa Martha serves beans with every meal, yet no one in the
family has a flatulence problem. The reason is that little bugs in
your gut will adapt to the beans and stop producing gas if you consume
the beans regularly over some period of time. It took me two or three
months of regular beans to be complete free of gas from them. Martha
has no special way of preparing the beans to reduce the gas -- no over
night soaks, in fact no soak at all -- just in the pot and boil --
plain, simple, pristine beans.

To misquote an old cigarette commercial -- Not a fart in a car load.

Of course, if you're going to eat beans only once in a while, you may
profit from some of these remedies.

Thanks Rolly. I'm wondering if Moctezuma's Revenge is nothing more than the
nordic digestive system not capable of shifting gears to rice, beans,
tortillas, bolillos, fresh fruit, enchiladas, tacos and the like. Not to
deny that amoibic bugs may also contribute. But could it not be a simple
change in diet for the most part?

I don't know why our rancher and family swore on the spoon of lard in the
pot of beans, nor our maid in Mexico City who came from another inidgenous
village somewhere in Hidalgo did the same.

I keep wondering if lard, as we know it today, is the real essential
ingredient to do the catalyst change in the enzyme... Looking back into the
history of pre conquest lore, pork was non-existant but cochinilla, javelina
(carbon copy of tuskless pig) turkey, rabbit, armadillo and a zillion other
tasty animals were available to shed a bit of grease into a pot boiling with
beans. We know the pot (cazuela) evolved shortly after they learned to
hybridize maize into a crop and then treat the maize in lime water to make
it digestible. I think they were visited by the Gods at one time or other. I
think the Garden of Eden was in mesoamerica.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> To misquote an old cigarette commercial -- Not a fart in a car load.
>
> Wayne

I believe it was a pickle ad that said "not a burp in a barrel full'

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Jack Tyler wrote:
> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> > To misquote an old cigarette commercial -- Not a fart in a car load.
> >
> > Wayne

> I believe it was a pickle ad that said "not a burp in a barrel full'
>
> Jack

There was an Old Gold cigarette commercial back in the '30s and '40s.
"Not a cough in a carload."
How wrong they were.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Wayne Lundberg wrote:

> What is your expert opinion on how to prepare black beans and pinto beans in
> such a manner to reduce the proverbial flatulence that keeps so many people
> from enjoying the full gamut of Mexican food calling for beans in any of
> many recipes from frijoles de olla to refrieds and everything in between.

Season your beans with cumin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatulence

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
>
> > What is your expert opinion on how to prepare black beans and pinto

beans in
> > such a manner to reduce the proverbial flatulence that keeps so many

people
> > from enjoying the full gamut of Mexican food calling for beans in any of
> > many recipes from frijoles de olla to refrieds and everything in

between.

> Season your beans with cumin?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatulence

Interesting and illuminating - lots of good ideas to pursue. Cumin is out
for me because it would overwhelm the basic bean flavor. But it is the main
distinction between Mexican frijol de oya and Cal-Mex bean chili without
meat.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
>I have a pet theory, proven through actual usage over the years, but not
> substantiated by serious scientific research nor experimentation -- with
> few
> exceptions such as the U of Venuezela.
>
> I just add a spoonful of pure lard and some onion chunks to the cooking
> beans. I clean and rinse once then cook in pressure cooker, no soaking
> first.Add salt once the husk is loosened and just before fully cooked.
>
> What is your expert opinion on how to prepare black beans and pinto beans
> in
> such a manner to reduce the proverbial flatulence that keeps so many
> people
> from enjoying the full gamut of Mexican food calling for beans in any of
> many recipes from frijoles de olla to refrieds and everything in between.
>
> This could be an interesting thread!

Discarding the soaking water lessens the "load". So does eating fewer beans
and more of something else, like gmilk, meat, and bread. Anything that makes
for fewer of those pesky undigestibles and longer time in the system creates
fewer farts.

And I might add that chewing your food better will also help a tad. I don't
know about Beano. We've tried it but there were still butt trumpets going
off.

One more thing. If you put garlic in your beans try leaving out the garlic.
With some people, garlic is the problem, not beans. And garlic farts are
some kind of nasty, let me tell you what.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"DaveTwo" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> >I have a pet theory, proven through actual usage over the years, but not
> > substantiated by serious scientific research nor experimentation -- with
> > few
> > exceptions such as the U of Venuezela.
> >
> > I just add a spoonful of pure lard and some onion chunks to the cooking
> > beans. I clean and rinse once then cook in pressure cooker, no soaking
> > first.Add salt once the husk is loosened and just before fully cooked.
> >
> > What is your expert opinion on how to prepare black beans and pinto

beans
> > in
> > such a manner to reduce the proverbial flatulence that keeps so many
> > people
> > from enjoying the full gamut of Mexican food calling for beans in any of
> > many recipes from frijoles de olla to refrieds and everything in

between.

> > This could be an interesting thread!

> Discarding the soaking water lessens the "load". So does eating fewer

beans
> and more of something else, like gmilk, meat, and bread. Anything that

makes
> for fewer of those pesky undigestibles and longer time in the system

creates
> fewer farts.
>
> And I might add that chewing your food better will also help a tad. I

don't
> know about Beano. We've tried it but there were still butt trumpets going
> off.
>
> One more thing. If you put garlic in your beans try leaving out the

garlic.
> With some people, garlic is the problem, not beans. And garlic farts are
> some kind of nasty, let me tell you what.

Dave, you may have hit the nail on the head with your comment about eating
less beans. I remember working hand in hand with the field workers at our
ranch and their very simple meal six times a day of nothing but beans, chili
rich salsa and tortillas rolled into tacos. If measured in pounds per person
per day of consumption, I'd guess on the low side, meaning every calorie was
consumed by the body as it did the hard work in the field. I saw the same
with the construction crews. Early morning bean tacos, mid-day bean tacos,
afternoon break bean tacos. And they were all healthy, light in body weight,
strong as bulls, able to work 12 hour days without blinking an eye.

I can visualize the digestive system being accelerated by the chile and
tortilla and the beans simply taken in as nourishment before ever having a
chance to linger in the lower intestine to ferment and thus create the gas.

I do remember commenting to the cooks more than once about their adding that
spoonful of lard to the cooking beans. That seems to be a universal trait
for that kind of recipe.

Thanks!

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Serious question yet no one read the research

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
..

Your first paragraph is bit confusing. It reads like you have in vivo,
albeit informal , research which was substantiated by the U of V. However
I will make a big assumption that you have a personal belief that lard
reduces farts and that you did come across the research done by Prof.
Marisela Granito from the Simon Boli*var University, Caracas, Venezuela,
conducted in 2002/2003 but perhaps not read it as yet?

The "home remedy' of long soaking( a first step towards fermenting?) and
long cooking( conversion) are chemical processes. Eating increasingly
larger portions as well as eating on a more frequent basis are physical
conditioning in that they do not necessarily reduce gas volume as originally
thought, mostly it is a matter of accommodation, you don't notice it as
much. Whole Foods give you this list, much the same as others do he
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/prod...latulence.html

Adding flavors such as cumin, onion, epozote and garlic sure make them taste
good but little else, as does the addition of any fat. Beano "AS DIRECTED"
(emphasis added) will also help by reducing the bacteria levels in the
Intestines prior to eating the beans and hopefully the beans pass before
your body can build the bacteria levels back up. That method is a loss of
nutrients .

I do not have an "expert opinion" as you ask for but I think the Prof's
study on fermentation appears to answer your question of ". a manner to
reduce the proverbial flatulence that keeps so many people
from enjoying the full gamut of Mexican food ..." I have not read a peer
review of her work but I find no refutation.anywhere. The Prof's work is
far reaching when you look at her whole work but note the Chinese have been
fermenting black beans as well as using beans sprouts in dishes for a long
time. . Now google for Colin Leakey and his magic bean, it is not a joke,
that is his name. This is now a British Patent.