Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Is this Mexican cooking?

When you use a Mexican herb or spice does it become Mexican cooking? As in
this case...achiote
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/DSC_1043.jpg

BTW if this link doesn't work I have no cure for it

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Jack Sloan wrote:
> When you use a Mexican herb or spice does it become Mexican cooking? As in
> this case...achiote
> http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/DSC_1043.jpg
>
> BTW if this link doesn't work I have no cure for it

Hard to tell if it's Mexican cooking, but achiote gives a hint and the
photo says delicious. Unlike most of these folks, I live 30 miles from
you. If you need an expert opinion, let me know.

JackAlso

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message
> When you use a Mexican herb or spice does it become Mexican cooking? As in
> this case...achiote
> http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/DSC_1043.jpg
>
> BTW if this link doesn't work I have no cure for it

We need to see the rest of the meal. If there are corn tortillas, salsas,
beans and some rice somewhere near, then it is Mexican food for sure.
(Disclaimer: If the above mentioned items are not around, it does not mean
the dish is not Mexican. But in doubt.)

Looks tasty enough!

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message
> When you use a Mexican herb or spice does it become Mexican cooking? As in
> this case...achiote
> http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/DSC_1043.jpg
>
> BTW if this link doesn't work I have no cure for it

Spatchcock grilled chicken with achiote rub? I think it is how are you
presenting it that is the answer as well as what additional ingredients is
in the rub/sauce? Annatto does not have much flavor by itself. I suspect
you have garlic, black pepper and a chile pepper in it. Yes, accoutrements
are important but you can have a Mexican style dish with Asian or Mideastern
or any combination thereof.

Does making a Jonny, Johnny or Hoe cake sound like Latino cooking ? Yet
tell me what is the difference between a jonny cake and a Arepas, a tortilla
and a Mideastern unleaven bread. The pot of gruel Jack showed to make the
Empanadas is very similiar to making Arepas from El Salvador and South
America. It is pretty much just technique and a personal or regional
twist. Is an Egg McMuffin American or a Caribbean idea from arepa 'e huevo?

Strip all this authenticity and authority talk away and you will realize
that it is mostly a subtrafuge to talk about mommy and their ansestors. You
need to tell us about your "Mexican" dish, what is it?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message
> When you use a Mexican herb or spice does it become Mexican cooking? As in
> this case...achiote
> http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/DSC_1043.jpg
>
> BTW if this link doesn't work I have no cure for it

Jack, do a google search on Burning Spear Chicken rub recipe, modify it as
you wish, add achiote paste to that then spatchcock grill that chicken with
grilled Pineapple and Mango, a side of Sweet potato fries or chips and
grilled sweet corn on the cob with a chile lime butter or some Pineapple,
purple/green cabbage, green chile, scallion, Spanish Onion slaw and an
Ancho, Cilantro, Lime, Cream dressing.

If you do not find the Burning Spear Rub recipe, let me know I will send you
a version.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Mexican cooking?

"Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message

I neglected to say that was a beautifully cooked bird. nice photography
Jack.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message

> "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote in message
>

> I neglected to say that was a beautifully cooked bird. nice photography
> Jack.

Thank you.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Is this Mexican cooking? (Photo)

Photo: http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/DSC_1043.jpg

> BTW if this link doesn't work I have no cure for it

The link works fine. Thanks for posting a photo with it. As this
whole photo thing is new and only two or three folks seem to have
noticed it... I'm not sure that it's worth the trouble yet. Of course,
most of the work is done by Rich.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Jack Sloan wrote:

> When you use a Mexican herb or spice does it become Mexican cooking? As in
> this case...achiote
> http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/DSC_1043.jpg
>
> BTW if this link doesn't work I have no cure for it

===
Jack,
Achiote or anato is used throughout the Caribbean and South America for
cooking and giving foods a fantastic color. A particular herbs or seasoning
is not Mexican just because it is sitting next to a tortilla.

Ray
Austin, TX
===