Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Oaxacan Green Mole

Note to Booger; there is NO Tomato in this!!!

2/3 cup small white beans
2 pounds lean, boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1 pound pork bones, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium white onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound fresh tomatillos, husked, washed
2 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
2 Serrano chilies, or 1 jalapeno, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, ground
1 1/2 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon masa harina mixed with 6 tablespoons hot
water
1 teaspoon Salt,
Herb puree:
4 large sprigs flat-leaf parsley
2 small sprigs epazote or additional parsley
2 leaves hoja santa, or substitute
1 1/2 cups chopped green tops from fresh fennel mixed with 1/2 teaspoon
ground black pepper
Parsley sprigs for garnish

1. Soak beans in 2 cups water 4 to 8 hours or heat them to a boil 1 minute
and then let stand 1 hour.
2. Drain beans; place in a large saucepan with 3 quarts water, pork and
bones. Heat to a boil, skim off foam, then add onion and garlic. Cook,
partly covered, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until beans and
meat are tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (If the liquid level drops below the
level of the beans and meat, add hot water.)
3. Meanwhile, heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Put a piece
of foil on the hot surface, set the tomatillos on top and roast, turning
regularly, until blistered, blackened and soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove to
a food processor or blender.
4. Roast garlic and chilies directly on the hot surface, turning frequently,
until chilies are blackened and blistered, about 5 minutes, and garlic is
blackened and soft, about 10 minutes. Scrape black skin off chilies and
remove seeds; peel garlic. Add both to the tomatillos; add cumin. Puree.
5. When beans and meat are tender, pour them into a colander set over a
large bowl. Pick meat off bones; discard bones, return meat to the colander
with the beans; set aside. Skim fat off broth. (There should be at least 5
cups broth; if not, add water.)
6. Set the clean pan over medium-high heat; add lard or oil. When hot enough
to make a drop of tomatillo puree sizzle, add it all at once. Stir
constantly 4 to 5 minutes as the mixture sears and thickens, then add 4 cups
of the broth. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat 20 minutes.
7. Gradually mix 2/3 cup of the remaining broth into masa harina mixture in
a small bowl. Push the mixture through a wire mesh strainer into the
simmering tomatillo mixture, whisking constantly, until thickened. Add the
beans and meat, season with salt and let simmer, stirring occasionally,
while you prepare herb puree.
8. For herb puree, put parsley, epazote if using, hoja santa or fennel
mixture and 1/3 cup broth into a food processor or blender. Puree, adding a
little more liquid if necessary. Stir the herb puree into the bean mixture.
Add a little more broth or water if necessary to thin to a medium
consistency. Serve in warm, deep plates; garnish with parsley.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> Note to Booger; there is NO Tomato in this!!!

> 1 1/2 cups chopped green tops from fresh fennel

> 8. For herb puree, put parsley, epazote if using, hoja santa or fennel
> mixture and 1/3 cup broth into a food processor or blender. Puree, adding a
> little more liquid if necessary. Stir the herb puree into the bean mixture.

No shit? The fennel will make the mole dark green.

Fennel grows wild all over California. We used to chew on fennel stalks
when we were kids and didn't have a penny to buy a piece of candy. We
called it our "licorice".

I was amazed to see Moroccans selling wilted fennel tops in their
souks. Evidently it's used to spice up Moroccan cuisine, but the part
that Italians would eat is the lower stalk.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Gunner wrote:
>> Note to Booger; there is NO Tomato in this!!!

>> 1 1/2 cups chopped green tops from fresh fennel

>> 8. For herb puree, put parsley, epazote if using, hoja santa or fennel
>> mixture and 1/3 cup broth into a food processor or blender. Puree, adding
>> little more liquid if necessary. Stir the herb puree into the bean
>> mixture.

> No shit? The fennel will make the mole dark green.
>
> Fennel grows wild all over California. We used to chew on fennel stalks
> when we were kids and didn't have a penny to buy a piece of candy. We
> called it our "licorice".
>
> I was amazed to see Moroccans selling wilted fennel tops in their
> souks. Evidently it's used to spice up Moroccan cuisine, but the part
> that Italians would eat is the lower stalk.

The Italians, north and south as well as on the islands, use the fennel
tops in exactly the same way as the Moroccans, as a garnish and a
flavoring, nothing is wasted. AND it is the same principle here in Rick
Bayless' recipe. go back and slowly read the recipe again. Lets not cherry
pick passages to make a point that is not there. The use of hoja santa (or
substituting fennel) in this recipe is as a flavoring agent, but as a
professional chef you knew that.

I still do not know where you got the Tomatillos will turn brown in that
prawn recipe or even where the Tomato thing came from. The Verde was from
the Pumpkin seed (mostly) , the chile and the Tomatillos. The small amount
of lettuce and/or cilantro, chopped up, will add a structural component
much more so than it will be any significant coloring agent, yet again, as a
professional chef you knew that.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:

> Lets not cherry
> pick passages to make a point that is not there. The use of hoja santa (or
> substituting fennel) in this recipe is as a flavoring agent, but as a
> professional chef you knew that.

What's up with this ****ing contest? You're not a professional chef
either, you run a machine shop where you exploit newly arrived Mexicans.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Gunner wrote:
>
>> Lets not cherry
>> pick passages to make a point that is not there. The use of hoja santa
>> (or
>> substituting fennel) in this recipe is as a flavoring agent, but as a
>> professional chef you knew that.

> What's up with this ****ing contest? You're not a professional chef
> either, you run a machine shop where you exploit newly arrived Mexicans.

Childish post Bugger, very childish