Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Yellow Rice, Arroz Amarillo

1/2 cup achiote oil
1/2 cup sofrito
1/2 cup alcaparrado or coarsely chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
2 tablespoons salt (2 to 3)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
3 cups long grain white rice
Chicken broth, homemade or canned, as needed (about 4 cups)
1. Heat the achiote oil in a heavy 4- to 5-quart pot with a tight-fitting
lid over medium heat. Stir in the sofrito and cook until most of the water
is evaporated. Add the alcaparrado, salt, cumin, pepper, and bay leaves,
stirring to combine.
2. When the mixture is bubbling, add the rice, stirring to coat and to fix
the color to the rice. Pour in enough chicken broth to cover the rice by the
width of two fingers. Bring to a boil and boil until the broth reaches the
level of the rice.
3. Stir the rice once, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 20
minutes, without opening the pot or stirring. To serve. gently fluff the
rice by scooping the rice from the bottom to the top. Serve hot.
4. Note: Alcaparrado, a mixture of olives, pimientos and capers sold in
bottles, is widely available. There are versions made with pitted and
un-pitted olives. Go for the un-pitted version. If you can't find it,
substitute an equal amount of coarsely chopped olives stuffed with
pimientos. Throw in a teaspoon of capers if you like.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> 1/2 cup achiote oil
> 1/2 cup sofrito
> 1/2 cup alcaparrado or coarsely chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
> 2 tablespoons salt (2 to 3)
> 1 teaspoon ground cumin
> 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
> 2 bay leaves
> 3 cups long grain white rice
> Chicken broth, homemade or canned, as needed (about 4 cups)
> 1. Heat the achiote oil in a heavy 4- to 5-quart pot with a tight-fitting
> lid over medium heat. Stir in the sofrito and cook until most of the water
> is evaporated. Add the alcaparrado, salt, cumin, pepper, and bay leaves,
> stirring to combine.
> 2. When the mixture is bubbling, add the rice, stirring to coat and to fix
> the color to the rice. Pour in enough chicken broth to cover the rice by the
> width of two fingers. Bring to a boil and boil until the broth reaches the
> level of the rice.
> 3. Stir the rice once, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 20
> minutes, without opening the pot or stirring. To serve. gently fluff the
> rice by scooping the rice from the bottom to the top. Serve hot.
> 4. Note: Alcaparrado, a mixture of olives, pimientos and capers sold in
> bottles, is widely available. There are versions made with pitted and
> un-pitted olives. Go for the un-pitted version. If you can't find it,
> substitute an equal amount of coarsely chopped olives stuffed with
> pimientos. Throw in a teaspoon of capers if you like.

This recipe reminds me of the saying "Ro-Tel has many uses... Velveeta,
only one."

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Gunner wrote:
>> 1/2 cup achiote oil
>> 1/2 cup sofrito
>> 1/2 cup alcaparrado or coarsely chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
>> 2 tablespoons salt (2 to 3)
>> 1 teaspoon ground cumin
>> 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
>> 2 bay leaves
>> 3 cups long grain white rice
>> Chicken broth, homemade or canned, as needed (about 4 cups)
>> 1. Heat the achiote oil in a heavy 4- to 5-quart pot with a tight-fitting
>> lid over medium heat. Stir in the sofrito and cook until most of the
>> water
>> is evaporated. Add the alcaparrado, salt, cumin, pepper, and bay leaves,
>> stirring to combine.
>> 2. When the mixture is bubbling, add the rice, stirring to coat and to
>> fix
>> the color to the rice. Pour in enough chicken broth to cover the rice by
>> the
>> width of two fingers. Bring to a boil and boil until the broth reaches
>> the
>> level of the rice.
>> 3. Stir the rice once, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 20
>> minutes, without opening the pot or stirring. To serve. gently fluff the
>> rice by scooping the rice from the bottom to the top. Serve hot.
>> 4. Note: Alcaparrado, a mixture of olives, pimientos and capers sold in
>> bottles, is widely available. There are versions made with pitted and
>> un-pitted olives. Go for the un-pitted version. If you can't find it,
>> substitute an equal amount of coarsely chopped olives stuffed with
>> pimientos. Throw in a teaspoon of capers if you like.

> This recipe reminds me of the saying "Ro-Tel has many uses... Velveeta,
> only one."
>
> Jack

I like some Ro-Tel in a beer every once in a while, its "the Breakfast of
Champions"

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

I love Ro-Tel!