Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Let's Pretend

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> In Veracruz, I used to search the Nautla riverbank caves for what we called
> langostino, which may be what you folks are calling pigua in other regions.
> We'd make chilpachole... a rich soup made with ground chile ancho and stuff.
> Shuck the langostino by hand as it comes out of the soup and suck the
> juices. A true beard wringer!

I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a freshwater langostino.

But I'm not actually *asking* anybody to prove the point, one way or
another. ;-)

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> > In Veracruz, I used to search the Nautla riverbank caves for what we

called
> > langostino, which may be what you folks are calling pigua in other

regions.
> > We'd make chilpachole... a rich soup made with ground chile ancho and

stuff.
> > Shuck the langostino by hand as it comes out of the soup and suck the
> > juices. A true beard wringer!
> >
> > Wayne

> I'm not sure if you are referring to the Pigua pictured below as a
> langostino... however, there is no doubt from the photo that we're
> dealing with a shrimp... not a langostino:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/that_rich/image/71424275
>
> Jack

No argument. Did a Google on langostino images and they range from small to
large, with a bit of a claw and without. I remember ours from the river were
larger than a prawn and much smaller than a lobster. We were always careful
to grab the critters from behind because some did have sharp claws and cuts
were frequent. Langosta is what we called lobster. Langostino is what we
called that which you have pictured.

Of course we were rural people not at all aware of all the names various
things were called elswhere. For example the armadillo we so much loved to
eat in tacos with green salsa were called 'Toche'.

Wayne