Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Which State Has Best Mexican Food

I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as to
what State and City have the best Mexican food.

I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sargeant Nick Balsack" > wrote in message
> I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as to
> what State and City have the best Mexican food.
>
> I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.

Great question to stimulate discussion. Of course the first reply will be
one to help establish some kind of benchmark. Personally I love TexMex,
CalMex, New Mexico Mex and of course all Mexican food from burritos in the
north to cochinita al pibil in Yucatan and armadillo in Veracruz. And I
even love Taco Bell!

So: "Sargeant Nick Balsack" chose your weapon, and let the battle of tastes
begin!

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "Sargeant Nick Balsack" > wrote in message
>> I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as
>> what State and City have the best Mexican food.
>>
>> I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.
>>

> Great question to stimulate discussion. Of course the first reply will be
> one to help establish some kind of benchmark. Personally I love TexMex,
> CalMex, New Mexico Mex and of course all Mexican food from burritos in the
> north to cochinita al pibil in Yucatan and armadillo in Veracruz. And I
> even love Taco Bell!
>
> So: "Sargeant Nick Balsack" chose your weapon, and let the battle of
> tastes
> begin!

Let's stick with traditional Mexican and all its regional differences and
not infuse American versions like Tex Mex or Gringo Mex into it.

I would consider a wide variety of regional foods to be a plus in this
survey.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Sargeant Nick Balsack" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Sargeant Nick Balsack" > wrote in message
> >> I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as
> >> what State and City have the best Mexican food.
> >>
> >> I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.
> >>

> > Great question to stimulate discussion. Of course the first reply will

be
> > one to help establish some kind of benchmark. Personally I love TexMex,
> > CalMex, New Mexico Mex and of course all Mexican food from burritos in

the
> > north to cochinita al pibil in Yucatan and armadillo in Veracruz. And I
> > even love Taco Bell!
> >
> > So: "Sargeant Nick Balsack" chose your weapon, and let the battle of
> > tastes
> > begin!

> Let's stick with traditional Mexican and all its regional differences and
> not infuse American versions like Tex Mex or Gringo Mex into it.
>
> I would consider a wide variety of regional foods to be a plus in this
> survey.

Reply:

You have just negated your own question by suggesting that a Texas, New
Mexico, Arizona or California state would have on original Mexican food!
Mexican food is Mexican food regardless of the country, state or region it
is cooked and served in. So what is your point?

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
D J D J is offline

Your right sargent balsack tex-mex is an american verison of
traditional mexican food . And no mexican food is not mexican in any
state it's cooked in its the person who cook's verison. of it.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

I have lived in and eaten Mexican food in California, Arizona, New
Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Illinois and Mass. I now live in
Mexico, so I have a base for comparisons. The worst by far was in
Boston. The best was a little hole in the wall place in Tracy, CA and
a little strip mall fish restaurant in Los Angeles. But none of it was
as good as my friend Doņa Martha makes. Look in her kitchen he
http://rollybrook.com/kitchen.htm

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> "Sargeant Nick Balsack" > wrote in message

>> > Great question to stimulate discussion. Of course the first reply will

> be
>> > one to help establish some kind of benchmark. Personally I love TexMex,
>> > CalMex, New Mexico Mex and of course all Mexican food from burritos in

> the
>> > north to cochinita al pibil in Yucatan and armadillo in Veracruz. And
>> > even love Taco Bell!
>> >
>> > So: "Sargeant Nick Balsack" chose your weapon, and let the battle of
>> > tastes
>> > begin!

>> Let's stick with traditional Mexican and all its regional differences and
>> not infuse American versions like Tex Mex or Gringo Mex into it.
>>
>> I would consider a wide variety of regional foods to be a plus in this
>> survey.

> Reply:
>
> You have just negated your own question by suggesting that a Texas, New
> Mexico, Arizona or California state would have on original Mexican food!

They do, and I've been to many authentic mexican food places in the SW.

> Mexican food is Mexican food regardless of the country, state or region it
> is cooked and served in. So what is your point?

Tex Mex is not Mexican food, no matter how much Texans want to believe it
is. It's American food. Same with Cal Mex. Arizona has it's share of gringo
Mexican places, but for the most part its regional fare is actually Sonoran.
New Mex is also not Mexican food, though it blows away the rest of regional
American adaptations.

So if all you want is an argument, then leave the adults alone, sonny. Maybe
you'd be happier yelling at the television.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:22:11 -0700, "Sargeant Nick Balsack"
> wrote:

>"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

>> be

>> the

>>> Let's stick with traditional Mexican and all its regional differences and
>>> not infuse American versions like Tex Mex or Gringo Mex into it.
>>>
>>> I would consider a wide variety of regional foods to be a plus in this
>>> survey.

>> Reply:
>>
>> You have just negated your own question by suggesting that a Texas, New
>> Mexico, Arizona or California state would have on original Mexican food!

>They do, and I've been to many authentic mexican food places in the SW.
>

>> Mexican food is Mexican food regardless of the country, state or region it
>> is cooked and served in. So what is your point?

>Tex Mex is not Mexican food, no matter how much Texans want to believe it
>is. It's American food. Same with Cal Mex. Arizona has it's share of gringo
>Mexican places, but for the most part its regional fare is actually Sonoran.
>New Mex is also not Mexican food, though it blows away the rest of regional
>American adaptations.

Tex-Mex is a hybrid as much Mexican as Texan as is Cal-Mex, yada,
yada, yada. I would argue that it is a valid as any other, because the
spirit it comes from and what it is trying to do as as valid as any
other artificially created categorization.

Just do not bother us with your New York City finding.

Your opinion is your opinion. Of course, we do not know if you know
jack shit about real Mexican, do we?

Of course, I could nomoinate Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico as the
winner, so could Wayne pitch Mecico D.F. - both qualify under your
rubric.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

That depends, as Mexico has a varied geography, for example, for sea
food I would say that the best is in the Veracruz / Tabasco area. About
meat cuts I'd say Chihuahua, Sonora and Nuevo Leon (have you tried
cabrito?). Something more traditional then try Puebla and its mole,
tlacoyos, chalupas, romeritos, etc. Aguascalientes, Jalisco, Zacatacas
they have great cheese, both cow and goat and pork meat, lamb birria.
But nowadays you can find almost any of these almost everywere, you
just have to look.

I hope this helps.

Saludos!

Sargeant Nick Balsack wrote:
> I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as to
> what State and City have the best Mexican food.
>
> I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sargeant Nick Balsack wrote:
> I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as to
> what State and City have the best Mexican food.

Go to the source. Go to Mexico and avoid the gringo traps. That's the
only way to avoid eating border food or Tex-Mex.

Look for "cocinas economicas" in the small towns and eat what the
locals eat, at the price locals would pay.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"ensenadajim" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:22:11 -0700, "Sargeant Nick Balsack"
> > wrote:

>>> be
>>> the

>>> Reply:
>>>
>>> You have just negated your own question by suggesting that a Texas, New
>>> Mexico, Arizona or California state would have on original Mexican food!

>>They do, and I've been to many authentic mexican food places in the SW.
>>

>>> Mexican food is Mexican food regardless of the country, state or region
>>> it
>>> is cooked and served in. So what is your point?

>>Tex Mex is not Mexican food, no matter how much Texans want to believe it
>>is. It's American food. Same with Cal Mex. Arizona has it's share of
>>gringo
>>Mexican places, but for the most part its regional fare is actually
>>Sonoran.
>>New Mex is also not Mexican food, though it blows away the rest of
>>regional
>>American adaptations.

> Tex-Mex is a hybrid as much Mexican as Texan as is Cal-Mex, yada,
> yada, yada. I would argue that it is a valid as any other, because the
> spirit it comes from and what it is trying to do as as valid as any
> other artificially created categorization.
>
> Just do not bother us with your New York City finding.

New York City?

Are you serious?

> Your opinion is your opinion. Of course, we do not know if you know
> jack shit about real Mexican, do we?

Nor will you know whether anybody in this group actually does.

> Of course, I could nomoinate Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico as the
> winner, so could Wayne pitch Mecico D.F. - both qualify under your
> rubric.

I asked a simple question of the group, refined the question when asked, and
then was trolled.

Maybe someone who is an actual adult will answer my post. If not, no biggy.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Excelente!!!

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> That depends, as Mexico has a varied geography, for example, for sea
> food I would say that the best is in the Veracruz / Tabasco area. About
> meat cuts I'd say Chihuahua, Sonora and Nuevo Leon (have you tried
> cabrito?). Something more traditional then try Puebla and its mole,
> tlacoyos, chalupas, romeritos, etc. Aguascalientes, Jalisco, Zacatacas
> they have great cheese, both cow and goat and pork meat, lamb birria.
> But nowadays you can find almost any of these almost everywere, you
> just have to look.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Saludos!
>
> Sargeant Nick Balsack wrote:
> > I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as

> > what State and City have the best Mexican food.
> >
> > I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> That depends, as Mexico has a varied geography, for example, for sea
> food I would say that the best is in the Veracruz / Tabasco area. About
> meat cuts I'd say Chihuahua, Sonora and Nuevo Leon (have you tried
> cabrito?). Something more traditional then try Puebla and its mole,
> tlacoyos, chalupas, romeritos, etc. Aguascalientes, Jalisco, Zacatacas
> they have great cheese, both cow and goat and pork meat, lamb birria.
> But nowadays you can find almost any of these almost everywere, you
> just have to look.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Saludos!

An actual adult!

Thank you kindly for your reply.

> Sargeant Nick Balsack wrote:
>> I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as
>> what State and City have the best Mexican food.
>>
>> I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"El Pocho" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Sargeant Nick Balsack wrote:
>> I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as
>> what State and City have the best Mexican food.

> Go to the source. Go to Mexico and avoid the gringo traps. That's the
> only way to avoid eating border food or Tex-Mex.

Another good and more practical way is to visit where the mexicans in your
city eat and go where they eat. I live in Phoenix and there it's really easy
to get an authentic meal where they are used to serving mexicans and not
gringos. There are also the Mercadas and of course you can go to the
carnecerias and cook your own at home.

> Look for "cocinas economicas" in the small towns and eat what the
> locals eat, at the price locals would pay.

I've done that and it's cheap and good. Fun as well.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Mexican food is NOT necessarily Mexican food. I live in Houston, TX. My
neighber is from Mexico. The food my neighbor cooks is NOTHING like any
"Mexican Food" I have had from any resturant.

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> "Sargeant Nick Balsack" > wrote in message

>>>Great question to stimulate discussion. Of course the first reply will

> be
>
>>>one to help establish some kind of benchmark. Personally I love TexMex,
>>>CalMex, New Mexico Mex and of course all Mexican food from burritos in

> the
>
>>>north to cochinita al pibil in Yucatan and armadillo in Veracruz. And I
>>>even love Taco Bell!
>>>
>>>So: "Sargeant Nick Balsack" chose your weapon, and let the battle of
>>>tastes
>>>begin!

>>Let's stick with traditional Mexican and all its regional differences and
>>not infuse American versions like Tex Mex or Gringo Mex into it.
>>
>>I would consider a wide variety of regional foods to be a plus in this
>>survey.

> Reply:
>
> You have just negated your own question by suggesting that a Texas, New
> Mexico, Arizona or California state would have on original Mexican food!
> Mexican food is Mexican food regardless of the country, state or region it
> is cooked and served in. So what is your point?
>
> Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:31:08 -0700, "Sargeant Nick Balsack"
> wrote:

>"ensenadajim" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:22:11 -0700, "Sargeant Nick Balsack"
>> > wrote:

>>>They do, and I've been to many authentic mexican food places in the SW.

>>>Tex Mex is not Mexican food, no matter how much Texans want to believe it
>>>is. It's American food. Same with Cal Mex. Arizona has it's share of
>>>gringo
>>>Mexican places, but for the most part its regional fare is actually
>>>Sonoran.
>>>New Mex is also not Mexican food, though it blows away the rest of
>>>regional
>>>American adaptations.

>> Tex-Mex is a hybrid as much Mexican as Texan as is Cal-Mex, yada,
>> yada, yada. I would argue that it is a valid as any other, because the
>> spirit it comes from and what it is trying to do as as valid as any
>> other artificially created categorization.
>>
>> Just do not bother us with your New York City finding.

>New York City?
>
>Are you serious?
>

>> Your opinion is your opinion. Of course, we do not know if you know
>> jack shit about real Mexican, do we?

>Nor will you know whether anybody in this group actually does.

Uless, oif course, I have had the pleasure of sharing a meal with that
person, eh? So much for your categorical statement, silly boy.

>> Of course, I could nomoinate Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico as the
>> winner, so could Wayne pitch Mecico D.F. - both qualify under your
>> rubric.

>I asked a simple question of the group, refined the question when asked, and
>then was trolled.
>
>Maybe someone who is an actual adult will answer my post. If not, no biggy.

Why should we address you as anything other than a child, given your
petulant attitude.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:31:08 -0700, "Sargeant Nick Balsack"
> wrote:

>"ensenadajim" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:22:11 -0700, "Sargeant Nick Balsack"
>> > wrote:

>>>They do, and I've been to many authentic mexican food places in the SW.

>>>Tex Mex is not Mexican food, no matter how much Texans want to believe it
>>>is. It's American food. Same with Cal Mex. Arizona has it's share of
>>>gringo
>>>Mexican places, but for the most part its regional fare is actually
>>>Sonoran.
>>>New Mex is also not Mexican food, though it blows away the rest of
>>>regional
>>>American adaptations.

>> Tex-Mex is a hybrid as much Mexican as Texan as is Cal-Mex, yada,
>> yada, yada. I would argue that it is a valid as any other, because the
>> spirit it comes from and what it is trying to do as as valid as any
>> other artificially created categorization.
>>
>> Just do not bother us with your New York City finding.

>New York City?
>
>Are you serious?
>

>> Your opinion is your opinion. Of course, we do not know if you know
>> jack shit about real Mexican, do we?

>Nor will you know whether anybody in this group actually does.
>

>> Of course, I could nomoinate Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico as the
>> winner, so could Wayne pitch Mecico D.F. - both qualify under your
>> rubric.

>I asked a simple question of the group, refined the question when asked, and
>then was trolled.

Of course, you are sitting within the definition of a troll yourself.
Look into a mirror before calling anyone else a name.

I note you do not challenge either Mexico D.F. nor Guadalajara. Simple
answers to a simple question.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Graphic Queen" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:23:49 -0700, "Sargeant Nick Balsack"
> > wrote:
>
>>I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as to
>>what State and City have the best Mexican food.
>>
>>I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.
>>

> Texas has Tex-Mex.
>
> New Mexico has New Mexican style Mexican food and the southern part of
> the state is different than the northern part.
>
> Arizona has their own style of Mexican.
>
> California definitely has its own style but I am not a fan at all of
> California Mexican style food.

I agree that Cal-Mex is the least of the lot, but I'd add that Tex Mex,
until recently, was worse. Tex Mex seems to have evolved a bit beyond the
brown gravy and chili from when I lived there, but from my standpoint they
have done so by claiming that dishes that were never Tex Mex are Tex Mex. I
watched a Food channel show where they pretty much took credit for Sonoran
specialties that have been around longer than Texas was. It was so appalling
that I had to watch the whole thing to see what other dishes Texans wanted
to claim were theirs.

Arizona Mex, except for chimichangas and nachos, is pretty much plain old
Sonoran style Mexican food. It pretty much consists of the burros,
enchiladas, and tamales that people think of as standard Mexican food. When
it's bad its bad, but when it's great it's still only good.

New Mex is what I get the least of but is one of my favorites. It's
original, it's full of flavor, and it's not smothered in brown gravy or
covered with shredded lettuce and served with bland rice. I wish there rwere
more places around me that served it.

Having trashed Cal and Tex, and given a tepid approval of Az, I will admit
to having favorites in each.

From the Cal side, I love fish Tacos. I never had one until I went to San
Diego. Now they are all over Phoenix. I'd gladly never eat a hamburger again
if I could as easily get fish tacos like I can get a Big Mac at McCrapple's.

Chili has always been a fovorite of mine, so I have to give Tex Mex a nod. I
would also include Fajitas but Tacos Al Carbon are much better.

Az food has one of my favorites, Pollo Fundito. A bit like a chimichanga but
to me much better. Yea Pollo!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Problem with TB is it dont taste Mexicano . Annato color
is NOT Mexican and gives headaches ta boot .
Ever taste a corn tortilla in TB ? How about a tamale or
enchilada ?
No one likes the taste of under cooked flour tortillas ,
it was just a desperate attemp by a crony company to
keep the stuffing in , in their burrito ...
They're lazy , want high profits , Mexican food is about
corn and pork and mild chile ( chile que no pica ) , and not lazy .

In the 50's , in California , we ate real Mexican in many restaurants
from San Diego , Solano Beach , Luecadia , to Oceanside .
Yellow cheese was scarce . Goat cheese was avail' .
Most everything was Masa Harina ( corn ) .
Flour was never used .

If one thing , its corn ( masa harina ) . The Mexicans
can cook with corn , many others can't figure it .

Fench , Italian , American , Mexican , Sorry , Asian is not even
on the list !

Papago Indians , now Tohono oddom , have a swap meet in Tucson .
many Mexican food stals , biggest one is a lean to about 8' by 8' .

Back from Costa Rica In 1971 i was driving the long stretch north
along coast from Guatemalan border and in this desolate place ,
i finally saw a building with 8 "trileras" ( English = 18 wheelers
.. )
It was the best peasant Mexican food ever ! i got out for
$0.80 . Steamed corn Tortillas , beans/rice , soup ,
pork and chile tamales ( not ussually on the menu) ...

Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> "Sargeant Nick Balsack" > wrote in message
> > I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as to
> > what State and City have the best Mexican food.
> >
> > I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.
> >

> Great question to stimulate discussion. Of course the first reply will be
> one to help establish some kind of benchmark. Personally I love TexMex,
> CalMex, New Mexico Mex and of course all Mexican food from burritos in the
> north to cochinita al pibil in Yucatan and armadillo in Veracruz. And I
> even love Taco Bell!
>
> So: "Sargeant Nick Balsack" chose your weapon, and let the battle of tastes
> begin!
>
> Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Those are delightful memories.
Mexican food was my wake-up call to real eating. I grew up on frozen
foods and I can still remember when I went to a restaurant in Mexico
with a friend who advised me to eat Mole Poblano.
When the dish came, I thought to myself that it had a sauce like my
mother's frozen dinners and what was the big deal? I took one bite
and it was like divine revelation. There really was something called
food on this earth, and it could be lifted to the heavens.
I was too young to truly understand what I was eating, a fact which
would make a strong man weep. Today I am determined.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

To get back to the original question, the best Mexican food I have ever
had was at a small restrurant I stumbled upon in Seatle. Here I was
served the most wonderful fajita. Also had a great Mexican meal in San
Antonio at Rita's along the Riverwalk. There I had the most wonderful
fried fish and garlic butter sauce. Oh course I had a great Margarita
to go along with it. lol I would love to see some of the old timers in
this group post some of the authentic recipes that we hear about so
often so the rest of us could begin to understand what is considered to
be authenic.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> To get back to the original question, the best Mexican food I have ever
> had was at a small restrurant I stumbled upon in Seatle. Here I was
> served the most wonderful fajita. Also had a great Mexican meal in San
> Antonio at Rita's along the Riverwalk. There I had the most wonderful
> fried fish and garlic butter sauce. Oh course I had a great Margarita
> to go along with it. lol I would love to see some of the old timers in
> this group post some of the authentic recipes that we hear about so
> often so the rest of us could begin to understand what is considered to
> be authenic.

Start with our own great contributor to this newsgroup:
http://rollybrook.com/salsa-casera.htm

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Rhonda wrote:
> To get back to the original question, the best Mexican food I have ever
> had was at a small restrurant I stumbled upon in Seatle. Here I was
> served the most wonderful fajita. Also had a great Mexican meal in San
> Antonio at Rita's along the Riverwalk. There I had the most wonderful
> fried fish and garlic butter sauce. Oh course I had a great Margarita
> to go along with it. lol I would love to see some of the old timers in
> this group post some of the authentic recipes that we hear about so
> often so the rest of us could begin to understand what is considered to
> be authenic.

Uh oh, she used the "A" word...

Fajitas? Garlic butter sauce? That's what happens when you go to old
neighborhoods that are being "gentrified" for the tourist trade.

I never even heard of fajitas before about twenty years ago. They
seemed to be invented for yuppies who were watching their weight and
they were being served in Mexican theme restaurants with names like
"Acapulco" and "El Torito", they were not to be found in the sidewalk
cafes in the industrial areas that employed lots of Mexican workers.

And the idea of Mexicans using butter in authentic cooking seems
strange, too, as the Mexicans in the interior would be more likely to
make queso cotija out of the milk.

I remember the arrangement between my mother and the Mexican lady
across the street. Mom would give her ham hocks and pinto beans and
flour and she would cook it all and make flour tortillas and we would
put butter on the hot fresh flour tortillas and it all tasted great.

But only Americans would put butter on flour tortillas, Mexicans would
use them for burritos and the lard that was used to cook the refried
beans would give the burrito enough flavor.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> To get back to the original question, the best Mexican food I have ever
> had was at a small restrurant I stumbled upon in Seatle. Here I was
> served the most wonderful fajita. Also had a great Mexican meal in San
> Antonio at Rita's along the Riverwalk. There I had the most wonderful
> fried fish and garlic butter sauce. Oh course I had a great Margarita
> to go along with it. lol I would love to see some of the old timers in
> this group post some of the authentic recipes that we hear about so
> often so the rest of us could begin to understand what is considered to
> be authenic.

Sorry, but Fajitas and Margaritas aint Mexican food and they sure aren't
authentic anything.

Exactly what part of the country are you from?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

I only know what I like. We now live in Illinois and have to search out
what we can find. I lived in New Mexico in the 70's and 80's and they
are the state with the greatest selection of what I like as far as I
know. http://pad39a.com/gene/fav.html
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Sargeant Nick Balsack wrote:
> I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as to
> what State and City have the best Mexican food.
>
> I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sargeant Nick Balsack wrote:
> I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as to
> what State and City have the best Mexican food.
>
> I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.

New Hampshire
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sargeant Nick Balsack wrote:
> I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as to
> what State and City have the best Mexican food.
>
> I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.

I think it has to do with where you grew up and what brings you comfort.
I like California Mexican food especially the newly imported local
joints that are run and owned by immigrants. Growing up in AZ I love the
plain Sonoran fare. Texas has it's good points and there is nothing
wrong with the heat you get from NM.

Moving up the from the border there is good food in Colorado, Nevada and
Washington State. Probably even in Alaska.
I found a new place in Tucson called the Guadalajara Grill that is a new
concept and very good! Like we say in AZ it's all good...
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:07:37 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> wrote:

>Sargeant Nick Balsack wrote:
>> I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as to
>> what State and City have the best Mexican food.
>>
>> I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.
>>

>I think it has to do with where you grew up and what brings you comfort.
>I like California Mexican food especially the newly imported local
>joints that are run and owned by immigrants. Growing up in AZ I love the
>plain Sonoran fare. Texas has it's good points and there is nothing
>wrong with the heat you get from NM.
>
>Moving up the from the border there is good food in Colorado, Nevada and
>Washington State. Probably even in Alaska.
>I found a new place in Tucson called the Guadalajara Grill that is a new
>concept and very good! Like we say in AZ it's all good...

GG has been around for awhile. We've had them in San Diego for years.
Corporate - might as well recommend Taco Bell.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

ensenadajim wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:07:37 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> > wrote:
>
>> Sargeant Nick Balsack wrote:
>>> I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as to
>>> what State and City have the best Mexican food.
>>>
>>> I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.
>>>

>> I think it has to do with where you grew up and what brings you comfort.
>> I like California Mexican food especially the newly imported local
>> joints that are run and owned by immigrants. Growing up in AZ I love the
>> plain Sonoran fare. Texas has it's good points and there is nothing
>> wrong with the heat you get from NM.
>>
>> Moving up the from the border there is good food in Colorado, Nevada and
>> Washington State. Probably even in Alaska.
>> I found a new place in Tucson called the Guadalajara Grill that is a new
>> concept and very good! Like we say in AZ it's all good...

> GG has been around for awhile. We've had them in San Diego for years.
> Corporate - might as well recommend Taco Bell.
>

> jim

The Guadalajara Grill in Tucson is a local place I think since there was
no mention of any other stores... an old home that has been converted to
a Mexican Restaurant. They have great seafood selections, full line of
authentic tortas with unique and exciting recipes and killer margaritas.
The service was excellent and just a little pricey as far as local
Mexican joints go. A mariachi band plays in the center of the room for
entertainment and not trolling for tips. They have a salsa cart where a
woman comes by your table with many fresh ingredients and mixes it fresh
with a mortar and pestal to your individual tastes. There is a hand made
tortillaria built into the restaurant where you can watch the women make
each tortilla by hand. Are we talking about the same place? You would
consider this kind of service with Taco Bell?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Glenn wrote:
> Mexican food is NOT necessarily Mexican food. I live in Houston, TX. My
> neighber is from Mexico. The food my neighbor cooks is NOTHING like any
> "Mexican Food" I have had from any resturant.

Is your Mexican neighbor German Mexican? Jewish? Mennonite? Aztec? there
are many cultures inside of Mexico just like the United States.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sargeant Nick Balsack wrote:
Arizona has it's share of gringo
> Mexican places, but for the most part its regional fare is actually Sonoran.
> New Mex is also not Mexican food, though it blows away the rest of regional
> American adaptations.

You would be hard pressed to find a Mexican restaurant in Arizona not
owned by Mexican/American families. Some are ran by Chinese in Phoenix
but originally bought from Mexican/American families, El Tango comes to
mind. Garcias and Macayos even as corporate as they are today were
originally owned by Mexican/American families. La Parilla Suiza and
Pollo Feliz are actual Mexican corporations operating in Arizona.
Remember that the southern area of Arizona was Mexico only 150 years or
so ago. Our local restaurants are a far cry from "South of the Border"
and "Chilis" which are true Tex-Mex excuses for Mexican food. I remember
asking a Texan if there was any real Mexican restaurants... he said
yes.. they even use real hamburger in their tacos. The Texans invented
the fajita... and they aren't too bad if they leave out that hideous cumin.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"ensenadajim" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:07:37 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> > wrote:
>
>>Sargeant Nick Balsack wrote:
>>> I've been all across the SW and would like to hear people's opinions as
>>> what State and City have the best Mexican food.
>>>
>>> I have an opinion but I'm not going to load the deck.
>>>

>>I think it has to do with where you grew up and what brings you comfort.
>>I like California Mexican food especially the newly imported local
>>joints that are run and owned by immigrants. Growing up in AZ I love the
>>plain Sonoran fare. Texas has it's good points and there is nothing
>>wrong with the heat you get from NM.
>>
>>Moving up the from the border there is good food in Colorado, Nevada and
>>Washington State. Probably even in Alaska.
>>I found a new place in Tucson called the Guadalajara Grill that is a new
>>concept and very good! Like we say in AZ it's all good...

> GG has been around for awhile. We've had them in San Diego for years.
> Corporate - might as well recommend Taco Bell.

By now, who gives a **** what a troll like you thinks?

As far as I'm concerned, your opinion is like Taco Bell, asshole.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 23:13:22 -0700, "Twentylettersintotal"
> wrote:

>"ensenadajim" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:07:37 -0700, Sonoran Dude
>> > wrote:

>>>I think it has to do with where you grew up and what brings you comfort.
>>>I like California Mexican food especially the newly imported local
>>>joints that are run and owned by immigrants. Growing up in AZ I love the
>>>plain Sonoran fare. Texas has it's good points and there is nothing
>>>wrong with the heat you get from NM.
>>>
>>>Moving up the from the border there is good food in Colorado, Nevada and
>>>Washington State. Probably even in Alaska.
>>>I found a new place in Tucson called the Guadalajara Grill that is a new
>>>concept and very good! Like we say in AZ it's all good...

>> GG has been around for awhile. We've had them in San Diego for years.
>> Corporate - might as well recommend Taco Bell.

>By now, who gives a **** what a troll like you thinks?
>
>As far as I'm concerned, your opinion is like Taco Bell, asshole.

My opinion may be one, but that is a far cry better than being one
like you are, sfb.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:33:16 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> wrote:

>ensenadajim wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:07:37 -0700, Sonoran Dude
>> > wrote:

>>> I think it has to do with where you grew up and what brings you comfort.
>>> I like California Mexican food especially the newly imported local
>>> joints that are run and owned by immigrants. Growing up in AZ I love the
>>> plain Sonoran fare. Texas has it's good points and there is nothing
>>> wrong with the heat you get from NM.
>>>
>>> Moving up the from the border there is good food in Colorado, Nevada and
>>> Washington State. Probably even in Alaska.
>>> I found a new place in Tucson called the Guadalajara Grill that is a new
>>> concept and very good! Like we say in AZ it's all good...

>> GG has been around for awhile. We've had them in San Diego for years.
>> Corporate - might as well recommend Taco Bell.
>>

>> jim
>>

>The Guadalajara Grill in Tucson is a local place I think since there was
>no mention of any other stores... an old home that has been converted to
>a Mexican Restaurant. They have great seafood selections, full line of
>authentic tortas with unique and exciting recipes and killer margaritas.
>The service was excellent and just a little pricey as far as local
>Mexican joints go. A mariachi band plays in the center of the room for
>entertainment and not trolling for tips. They have a salsa cart where a
>woman comes by your table with many fresh ingredients and mixes it fresh
>with a mortar and pestal to your individual tastes. There is a hand made
>tortillaria built into the restaurant where you can watch the women make
>each tortilla by hand. Are we talking about the same place? You would
>consider this kind of service with Taco Bell?

I looked into the Tucson GG and it is an independent operation as you
indicated. There is a large chain with that name. Then, scattered,
there are independents. Next time in Tucson, I'll give it a try.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

ensenadajim wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:33:16 -0700, Sonoran Dude

> I looked into the Tucson GG and it is an independent operation as you
> indicated. There is a large chain with that name. Then, scattered,
> there are independents. Next time in Tucson, I'll give it a try.
>

> jim

I looked them up too... hell there are joints called Guadalajara Grill
all over the country... you would think if you are going to create
something as unique as this joint in Tucson you would come up with a
name that hasn't been *******ized all over the country... there is even
one in CT which I am sure is "Authentic" LOL I must have found a dozen
of them in my search.

I have been having a conversation with the owner of the El Charro
restaurants here in Tucson about some pathetic service at their new NW
location. He begged me to come in and make it good. Since then I have
been to their original downtown location which was OK and then I went
back to the NW location hoping to run into him with a friend from
Austraila... to get some free drinks. The service and food was just as
pathetic and the servers are either morons or on drugs they are
unwilling to share so the customers could be persuaded to eat that crap.

The El Charro is rated one of the best 10 Mexican restaurants in the
country by USA Today etc and in my opinion it is as uneventful as they
get. If anyone visits Tucson I would recommend that you try this new
Guadalajara Grill and the "Authentic" Mexican owned chains La Parilla
Suzia and Pollo Feliz. There is another family owned nugget called the
Maria Bonita on Oracle and Rosas on Ft. Lowell that are great
traditional Sonoran joints and full of customers, something you will not
find at the new El Charro on the NW side.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

El Pocho wrote:
"A" word...

> Fajitas? Garlic butter sauce? That's what happens when you go to old
> neighborhoods that are being "gentrified" for the tourist trade.
>
> I never even heard of fajitas before about twenty years ago. They
> seemed to be invented for yuppies who were watching their weight and
> they were being served in Mexican theme restaurants with names like
> "Acapulco" and "El Torito", they were not to be found in the sidewalk
> cafes in the industrial areas that employed lots of Mexican workers.

The first fajitas I ever ate were in 1973 in a barrio in Houston, along
Navigation Street (in a virtually 100% Mexican and Mexican-American
neighborhood). The dish was introduced in a restaurant called Ninfa's,
and run by "Mama" Ninfa Laurenzo. She called them Tacos al Carbon, at
the time. As "fajitas", meaning "little strips" were commonly made and
served in Mexico by and to the poor Mexicans south of and along the
Mexican border for decades, the real name of fajitas was used to
describe the meat in Tacos al carbon. The faja is the muscle lining of
the stomach of a cow. Mama Ninfa introduced them in Houston in 1973
(33 years ago) and I have cooked and eaten them for that many years. I
cooked fajitas in the World Championship Fajita cookoff in Mission,
Texas (a dusty little Rio Grande Valley town on the banks of the Rio
Grande) in 1984 and was the only gringo in the contest.

Fajitas have been adopted by the owners of big Tex-Mex restaurants that
have overrun the U.S.... but they are NOT something invented by
yuppies. Fajitas are cheap meat cooked to feed Mexicans with very
little money. Chicken, pork and shrimp "fajitas" are a marketing
gimmick cooked up by Tex-Mex chains, and merely amount to Tacos al
pastor, de Pollo, y camarones.

Also, remember that Tex-Mex doesn't refer to Mexican food served in
Texas... it is as someone else already said, a hybrid that is neither
Mexican, nor Texan. Mexican food, however, is very good in Houston, as
our town's largest ethnic group is Mexican. We're the 4th largest city
in the U.S and nearly 40% of our population are Mexican and
Mexican-American. There are plenty of authentic Mexican restaurants in
Houston, including many regional specialty Mexican restaurants. With
over 12,000 food service licenses in the greater Houston area, you can
inagine that there must be one Hell of a lot of Mexican restaurants to
serve 40% of the population. You'll find plenty of mole's on menus...
Chiles en Nogada... posole... lime soup, huachinango a la veracruzana,
huitlacoche, etc... most of the items that you will find in most of the
states of Mexico are available in Houston. Also, plenty of cabrito
found in the barrios of Houston. I spend as much as half of my time in
Mexico and know authentic Mexican food when I see it.

Jack Tyler
www.MexicoTravelAndLife.com

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:45:44 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> wrote:

>The El Charro is rated one of the best 10 Mexican restaurants in the
>country by USA Today etc and in my opinion it is as uneventful as they
>get. If anyone visits Tucson I would recommend that you try this new
>Guadalajara Grill and the "Authentic" Mexican owned chains La Parilla
>Suzia and Pollo Feliz. There is another family owned nugget called the
>Maria Bonita on Oracle and Rosas on Ft. Lowell that are great
>traditional Sonoran joints and full of customers, something you will not
>find at the new El Charro on the NW side.

Interesting, there is a Pollo Feliz operation in Mexico. Wondering if
there is a relationship. That's the case here with Tacos El Gordo and
with Carnitas Urapan.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

ensenadajim wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:45:44 -0700, Sonoran Dude
> > wrote:
>

>> The El Charro is rated one of the best 10 Mexican restaurants in the
>> country by USA Today etc and in my opinion it is as uneventful as they
>> get. If anyone visits Tucson I would recommend that you try this new
>> Guadalajara Grill and the "Authentic" Mexican owned chains La Parilla
>> Suzia and Pollo Feliz. There is another family owned nugget called the
>> Maria Bonita on Oracle and Rosas on Ft. Lowell that are great
>> traditional Sonoran joints and full of customers, something you will not
>> find at the new El Charro on the NW side.

> Interesting, there is a Pollo Feliz operation in Mexico. Wondering if
> there is a relationship. That's the case here with Tacos El Gordo and
> with Carnitas Urapan.
>

> jim

Pollo Feliz in Tucson is owned and operated by the same company in
Mexico. They have pictures of their locations all over Mexico. They are
a very good chicken grill and make their own tortillas etc. I highly
recommend them.
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Good Lord People!

Rather than debating what is and is not Mexican how about actually
telling everyone about the Restaurants in your home town that you like.

In Phoenix I enjoy the culinary delights of Richardson's. I do not know
if it is Tex-Mex, Pseudo-Mex, or New Mexico Mex I just know that the food is
good, the atmosphere is great and the service is slow and friendly.

1582 E Bethany Home Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85014
602-265-5886