Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
D J D J is offline

Default Traditional mexican Tacos'

they were made by my grandfather . who came from mexico , thank you to
anyone that can help..

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"D J" > wrote in message
> they were made by my grandfather . who came from mexico , thank you to
> anyone that can help..

Do you have access to white corn tortillas at your local stores? Other
ingredients might include coriander (cilantro), serrano and/or jalapeno
chiles. All other ingredients are as common as salt/pepper.

My favorite taco is thin flank steak grilled to a nice dark brown, cut into
thin slices, ladled into a white corn tortilla that has been reheated over
the coals, then a slice of avocado, a couple of spoonfuls of salsa made from
tomato, salt, cilarntro, chiles and onions. Roll the tortilla over all the
stuffing, lean forward, close the back end of the taco between fingers to
keep stuff inside just as you would a Coney Island dog. Take a bite and
enjoy! These tacos are called Tacos de Carne Asada.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
D J D J is offline

I thank you wayne but the ones Am looking for we use corn tortillas and
the meat is rolled and fried inside of the tortillas D.J

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

I think that what you are looking for are "Flautas" (flutes), they are
quite simple, here is a recipe I've found:

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/gmeat/flautas-recipe.html

1 cup corn oil
24 corn tortillas
1 1/2 to 2 cups filling of your choice (shredded beef, ground beef,
chicken, beans or cheese)

Good luck

1. In a skillet or pan, heat the oil to hot. With tongs, dip the
tortillas in the oil on both sides to moisten them, no more than a
second or 2, and stack them.
2. Place about 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center of a
tortilla and spread it out lengthwise. Roll the tortilla tightly, and
repeat the process until all are filled and rolled.
3. Reserve just enough oil in the skillet to keep its bottom moist.
Add a few flautas at a time, keeping the tortillas seam side down. Cook
them 5 to 10 seconds, then gently roll them in the skillet until they
are golden brown on all sides. Serves 6 (4 flautas per person). Can
serve with hot sauce, guacamole, chile con queso, sour cream and/or a
salsa of your choosing.

Makes 24 servings.
D J wrote:
> I thank you wayne but the ones Am looking for we use corn tortillas and
> the meat is rolled and fried inside of the tortillas D.J

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
D J D J is offline

I thank you but no it is not flautas. I learned to cook all the
traditional recipes that came from my grandfather. the recipe for tacos
is missing .and I was hoping someone had a similar one .
thanks again

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:57:20 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
> wrote:

>"D J" > wrote in message
>> they were made by my grandfather . who came from mexico , thank you to
>> anyone that can help..
>>

>Do you have access to white corn tortillas at your local stores? Other
>ingredients might include coriander (cilantro), serrano and/or jalapeno
>chiles. All other ingredients are as common as salt/pepper.
>
>My favorite taco is thin flank steak grilled to a nice dark brown, cut into
>thin slices, ladled into a white corn tortilla that has been reheated over
>the coals, then a slice of avocado, a couple of spoonfuls of salsa made from
>tomato, salt, cilarntro, chiles and onions. Roll the tortilla over all the
>stuffing, lean forward, close the back end of the taco between fingers to
>keep stuff inside just as you would a Coney Island dog. Take a bite and
>enjoy! These tacos are called Tacos de Carne Asada.

Were they made by his grandfather who came from Mexico, I doubt white
corn tortillas would have been used. Seen any used in Mexico?

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"ensenadajim" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:57:20 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
> > wrote:
>

> >"D J" > wrote in message
> >> they were made by my grandfather . who came from mexico , thank you

> >> anyone that can help..
> >>

> >Do you have access to white corn tortillas at your local stores? Other
> >ingredients might include coriander (cilantro), serrano and/or jalapeno
> >chiles. All other ingredients are as common as salt/pepper.
> >
> >My favorite taco is thin flank steak grilled to a nice dark brown, cut

into
> >thin slices, ladled into a white corn tortilla that has been reheated

over
> >the coals, then a slice of avocado, a couple of spoonfuls of salsa made

from
> >tomato, salt, cilarntro, chiles and onions. Roll the tortilla over all

the
> >stuffing, lean forward, close the back end of the taco between fingers to
> >keep stuff inside just as you would a Coney Island dog. Take a bite and
> >enjoy! These tacos are called Tacos de Carne Asada.
> >

> Were they made by his grandfather who came from Mexico, I doubt white
> corn tortillas would have been used. Seen any used in Mexico?
>

> jim

You are kidding. Mexican tortillas are made from the whiter version of corn,
not yellow. The yellow corn is fed to pigs.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
D J D J is offline

yes jim the fried ones you have mentioned are what he made . the only
thing i cant rembember is what the meat was it looked like ground beef
but when they where fried the meat was brown on the outside but very
soft on the inside. We only filled them with shredded goat chesse and
lettuce, slasa. He came from Guadalajara. Thank you jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:50:52 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
> wrote:

>"ensenadajim" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:57:20 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
>> > wrote:

>> >Do you have access to white corn tortillas at your local stores? Other
>> >ingredients might include coriander (cilantro), serrano and/or jalapeno
>> >chiles. All other ingredients are as common as salt/pepper.
>> >
>> >My favorite taco is thin flank steak grilled to a nice dark brown, cut

>into
>> >thin slices, ladled into a white corn tortilla that has been reheated

>over
>> >the coals, then a slice of avocado, a couple of spoonfuls of salsa made

>from
>> >tomato, salt, cilarntro, chiles and onions. Roll the tortilla over all

>the
>> >stuffing, lean forward, close the back end of the taco between fingers to
>> >keep stuff inside just as you would a Coney Island dog. Take a bite and
>> >enjoy! These tacos are called Tacos de Carne Asada.
>> >

>> Were they made by his grandfather who came from Mexico, I doubt white
>> corn tortillas would have been used. Seen any used in Mexico?
>>

>> jim

>You are kidding. Mexican tortillas are made from the whiter version of corn,
>not yellow. The yellow corn is fed to pigs.
>
>Wayne

Doubtful at best, Wayne. I have had yellow corn tortillas in a lot of
places south of the border including our own Baja.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"ensenadajim" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:50:52 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
> > wrote:
>

> >"ensenadajim" > wrote in message
> >news
> >> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:57:20 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"

you

jalapeno

> >into

> >over

made
> >from

> >the

and

> >> Were they made by his grandfather who came from Mexico, I doubt white
> >> corn tortillas would have been used. Seen any used in Mexico?
> >>

> >> jim

> >You are kidding. Mexican tortillas are made from the whiter version of

corn,
> >not yellow. The yellow corn is fed to pigs.
> >
> >Wayne
> >

> Doubtful at best, Wayne. I have had yellow corn tortillas in a lot of
> places south of the border including our own Baja.
>

> jim

Since your mind has been made up, I certainly will not trouble you further
with facts.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Hi DJ.. I post on another cooking ng but I lurk here and there... I live
in south Texas and live 5 miles north of the Mexican border. I read
some of this thread...it sounds like you are asking about "flautas" or
"envueltos"? Maybe I can help. Post it or e-mail me ... I am a
"Guera", but I am a pretty good cook of both Tex-Mex and traditional
northern Mexican food.
Cathy

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"D J" > wrote in message
> they were made by my grandfather . who came from mexico , thank you to
> anyone that can help..

We have to give DJ credit for being the best troll in a long time. He/she
was able to stimulate a nice long string on the subject of tacos. And
regardless of the value DJ may have received, the rest of us in the
newsgroup were able to enjoy a short surge of adrenalyn in the belief we
were being of help to a fellow human being.

Consider this little interchange in light of what is happening in the rest
of the world when a word or two triggers a promise of assasination because
the words do not reflect another's belief structure.

We are so, so lucky! (But how lonw will it last with the growing influence
of the wild eyed liberals fully dedicated to help our enemies?)

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
D J D J is offline

I thank you wayne and everyone that has been of help. And you are right
it's nice to know there are people in this world still trying to help
one another, And then of course their are people like sw. that are just
excuses. Thanks again wayne .

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 17:34:24 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
> wrote:

>"ensenadajim" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:50:52 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"ensenadajim" > wrote in message
>> >news >> >> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:57:20 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"

>you

>jalapeno

>> >into
>> >over

>made
>> >from
>> >the

>and

>> >You are kidding. Mexican tortillas are made from the whiter version of

>corn,
>> >not yellow. The yellow corn is fed to pigs.
>> >
>> >Wayne
>> >

>> Doubtful at best, Wayne. I have had yellow corn tortillas in a lot of
>> places south of the border including our own Baja.
>>

>> jim
>>

>Since your mind has been made up, I certainly will not trouble you further
>with facts.
>
>Wayne

As a fact was presented immediately above, it seems you reject any
facts that disagree with your preconceived notions. All too telling of
your shortcomings, Wayne.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:02:39 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
> wrote:

>"D J" > wrote in message
>> they were made by my grandfather . who came from mexico , thank you to
>> anyone that can help..

>We have to give DJ credit for being the best troll in a long time. He/she
>was able to stimulate a nice long string on the subject of tacos. And
>regardless of the value DJ may have received, the rest of us in the
>newsgroup were able to enjoy a short surge of adrenalyn in the belief we
>were being of help to a fellow human being.
>
>Consider this little interchange in light of what is happening in the rest
>of the world when a word or two triggers a promise of assasination because
>the words do not reflect another's belief structure.
>
>We are so, so lucky! (But how lonw will it last with the growing influence
>of the wild eyed liberals fully dedicated to help our enemies?)
>
>Wayne

Further you have resorted to name-calling, something DJ is well above
in terms of the feeding chain, wayne. Think about that, because for a
troll, his behavior in this thread has certainly been at a higher
level than yours..

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 02:22:19 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>Still want to defend this guy and WebTV, Jim? 99% of all
>WebTV'ers are simply stupid and clueless. And that's a
>scientifically proven fact.

That was WebTV's target audiance. It still doesn't mean that those
people can't have valid concerns and after finding Usenet, post their
questions.

--
Zilbandy - Tucson, Arizona USA >
Dead Suburban's Home Page: http://zilbandy.com/suburb/
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 02:22:19 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:21:02 -0500, D J wrote:
>
>> I thank you wayne and everyone that has been of help. And you are right
>> it's nice to know there are people in this world still trying to help
>> one another, And then of course their are people like sw. that are just
>> excuses. Thanks again wayne .

>Still want to defend this guy and WebTV, Jim? 99% of all
>WebTV'ers are simply stupid and clueless. And that's a
>scientifically proven fact.
>
>-sw

Of course, the other one percent is well above you in intelligence. I
thought his reason for using WebTV was okay. I do agree that most of
them are not bright stars. Soem people may not have a lot of choice.

Of course, Dj's post above was a bit higher up the ladder than your
postings in this thread have been.

Post the stats that back your BS, sw. Reliable stats, not your
bs-made-up-on-the-fly stats.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 04:12:47 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 19:01:30 -0700, ensenadajim wrote:
>
>> Further you have resorted to name-calling, something DJ is well above
>> in terms of the feeding chain, wayne. Think about that, because for a
>> troll, his behavior in this thread has certainly been at a higher
>> level than yours..

>Isn't it cute how the trolls band together?
>
>-sw

And you are flocking with Wayne, whose postings ave been slightly
better than yours. What were you saying? Nothing of value at all,
wertz. Seems all too frequently, you have been posting from a glass
house.

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 02:56:59 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:28:57 -0700, ensenadajim wrote:
>
>> And you are flocking with Wayne, whose postings ave been slightly
>> better than yours. What were you saying? Nothing of value at all,
>> wertz. Seems all too frequently, you have been posting from a glass
>> house.

>Ask yourself who is at the center (and usually a main instigator)
>of virtually every flame war in this group over the years.
>
>-sw

Probably me and I do not use WebTV, do I, sfb?

jim

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sorry to Trouble you all with a serious question, but we have just
moved to Melbourne and wonder if anyone out there can help us find a
tortilla press and Masa Lista flour.

A Mexican friend in Kalgoorlie got us quite addicted to real Mexican
(we now understand her disdain for "Tex-Mex" foods.)

If no-one knows of a source for the press, she can pick one up for us
in Mexico, but we'll have to wait until next year But we'll still
need a source for flour &c.

Funnily enough, we could get the flour easier in W.A.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

D J wrote:
> they were made by my grandfather . who came from mexico , thank you to
> anyone that can help..

Try using canned beef and a mashed up boiled potato. That is how my
grandfather made them. Then fry in a shallow pan of oil. Season the meat
with red chili powder, garlic and onion powder.