Posted to rec.food.historic
Len Len is offline

Default Recipe with unconsciously Freudian implications

I don't know whether this is the right group on which ask this
question, but I am avoiding the serious minded folk at
alt.food.recipes.

No recipe that I know of has so many sexual symbols as the one
illustrated at

http://www.box.net/public/static/76k82xao4y.jpg

There is the crinkly lettuce representing the hair, the pineapple ring
in which the banana is mounted . . . I won't go on.

The recipe is for 'Banana Candles' and comes from the book "Be Bold
With Bananas" (no author) published by M&R (no date, but probably the
1970s). It is distributed by The Australian Banana Growers' Council
through the Banana Growers' Federation of New South Wales and the
Banana Sectional Group Committee of the Committee of Direction of
Fruit Marketing, Queensland.

Pretty serious credentials really. Did none of these worthies hear
alarm bells ringing?

Arty Bee seems to have seen the point at

http://www.artybees.co.nz/gallery-pa...ldBananas.html

The Freudian symbolism is so outrageous that I am wondering whether
this particular recipe was a deliberately insulting spoof created by
some underpaid but imaginative author.

Are there other recipes, presented in all seriousness, that show such
a wealth of unconscious sexual symbolism?
Posted to rec.food.historic

I'm fairly certain you've seen Lilek's commentary here...?:
http://lileks.com/institute/gallery/10PM/index.html

Len > wrote:
L> I don't know whether this is the right group on which ask this
L> question, but I am avoiding the serious minded folk at
L> alt.food.recipes.

L> No recipe that I know of has so many sexual symbols as the one
L> illustrated at

L> http://www.box.net/public/static/76k82xao4y.jpg

L> There is the crinkly lettuce representing the hair, the pineapple ring
L> in which the banana is mounted . . . I won't go on.

L> The recipe is for 'Banana Candles' and comes from the book "Be Bold
L> With Bananas" (no author) published by M&R (no date, but probably the
L> 1970s). It is distributed by The Australian Banana Growers' Council
L> through the Banana Growers' Federation of New South Wales and the
L> Banana Sectional Group Committee of the Committee of Direction of
L> Fruit Marketing, Queensland.

L> Pretty serious credentials really. Did none of these worthies hear
L> alarm bells ringing?

L> Arty Bee seems to have seen the point at

L> http://www.artybees.co.nz/gallery-pa...ldBananas.html

L> The Freudian symbolism is so outrageous that I am wondering whether
L> this particular recipe was a deliberately insulting spoof created by
L> some underpaid but imaginative author.

L> Are there other recipes, presented in all seriousness, that show such
L> a wealth of unconscious sexual symbolism?

corey at dub dot net
(remove extra '.' in address to respond)
Posted to rec.food.historic
Len Len is offline

No, I had not seen those pages. Not much sexual symbolism, except for
the "erect weiners in a sea of beans" (that's surely not how the
sausage is spelt?).

Plenty of disgusting food there, but nothing of the extravagantly
florid symbolism of the banana candles.

On 01 Apr 2006 07:01:02 GMT, corey > wrote:

>I'm fairly certain you've seen Lilek's commentary here...?:
>http://lileks.com/institute/gallery/10PM/index.html
>

>Len > wrote:
>L> I don't know whether this is the right group on which ask this
>L> question, but I am avoiding the serious minded folk at
>L> alt.food.recipes.
>
>L> No recipe that I know of has so many sexual symbols as the one
>L> illustrated at
>
>L> http://www.box.net/public/static/76k82xao4y.jpg
>
>L> There is the crinkly lettuce representing the hair, the pineapple ring
>L> in which the banana is mounted . . . I won't go on.
>
>L> The recipe is for 'Banana Candles' and comes from the book "Be Bold
>L> With Bananas" (no author) published by M&R (no date, but probably the
>L> 1970s). It is distributed by The Australian Banana Growers' Council
>L> through the Banana Growers' Federation of New South Wales and the
>L> Banana Sectional Group Committee of the Committee of Direction of
>L> Fruit Marketing, Queensland.
>
>L> Pretty serious credentials really. Did none of these worthies hear
>L> alarm bells ringing?
>
>L> Arty Bee seems to have seen the point at
>
>L> http://www.artybees.co.nz/gallery-pa...ldBananas.html
>
>L> The Freudian symbolism is so outrageous that I am wondering whether
>L> this particular recipe was a deliberately insulting spoof created by
>L> some underpaid but imaginative author.
>
>L> Are there other recipes, presented in all seriousness, that show such
>L> a wealth of unconscious sexual symbolism?

Posted to rec.food.historic

I have a similar "banana salad" recipe from the 1920s, before Freud's
theories were well known in the US.

--
-Mark H. Zanger
author, The American History Cookbook, The American Ethnic Cookbook for

"Len" > wrote in message
>I don't know whether this is the right group on which ask this
> question, but I am avoiding the serious minded folk at
> alt.food.recipes.
>
> No recipe that I know of has so many sexual symbols as the one
> illustrated at
>
> http://www.box.net/public/static/76k82xao4y.jpg
>
> There is the crinkly lettuce representing the hair, the pineapple ring
> in which the banana is mounted . . . I won't go on.
>
> The recipe is for 'Banana Candles' and comes from the book "Be Bold
> With Bananas" (no author) published by M&R (no date, but probably the
> 1970s). It is distributed by The Australian Banana Growers' Council
> through the Banana Growers' Federation of New South Wales and the
> Banana Sectional Group Committee of the Committee of Direction of
> Fruit Marketing, Queensland.
>
> Pretty serious credentials really. Did none of these worthies hear
> alarm bells ringing?
>
> Arty Bee seems to have seen the point at
>
> http://www.artybees.co.nz/gallery-pa...ldBananas.html
>
> The Freudian symbolism is so outrageous that I am wondering whether
> this particular recipe was a deliberately insulting spoof created by
> some underpaid but imaginative author.
>
> Are there other recipes, presented in all seriousness, that show such
> a wealth of unconscious sexual symbolism?

Posted to rec.food.historic

"Mark Zanger" > wrote in message
>I have a similar "banana salad" recipe from the 1920s, before Freud's
>theories were well known in the US.
>

> --
> -Mark H. Zanger
> author, The American History Cookbook, The American Ethnic Cookbook for
> Students
> www.ethnicook.com
> www.historycook.com
>
> "Len" > wrote in message
>>I don't know whether this is the right group on which ask this
>> question, but I am avoiding the serious minded folk at
>> alt.food.recipes.
>>
>> No recipe that I know of has so many sexual symbols as the one
>> illustrated at
>>
>> http://www.box.net/public/static/76k82xao4y.jpg
>>
>> There is the crinkly lettuce representing the hair, the pineapple ring
>> in which the banana is mounted . . . I won't go on.
>>
>> The recipe is for 'Banana Candles' and comes from the book "Be Bold
>> With Bananas" (no author) published by M&R (no date, but probably the
>> 1970s). It is distributed by The Australian Banana Growers' Council
>> through the Banana Growers' Federation of New South Wales and the
>> Banana Sectional Group Committee of the Committee of Direction of
>> Fruit Marketing, Queensland.
>>
>> Pretty serious credentials really. Did none of these worthies hear
>> alarm bells ringing?
>>
>> Arty Bee seems to have seen the point at
>>
>> http://www.artybees.co.nz/gallery-pa...ldBananas.html
>>
>> The Freudian symbolism is so outrageous that I am wondering whether
>> this particular recipe was a deliberately insulting spoof created by
>> some underpaid but imaginative author.
>>
>> Are there other recipes, presented in all seriousness, that show such
>> a wealth of unconscious sexual symbolism?

Eeeeh yer a mucky lad

Ophelia

Posted to rec.food.historic

Mark Zanger wrote:
> I have a similar "banana salad" recipe from the 1920s, before Freud's
> theories were well known in the US.

And no wit ever noticed any anatomical similarities in foods before the
doctor from Vienna?

In Italy, hard biscuit-like cookies called Ossi del Morto ("bones of
the dead") are baked once a year, and eaten the rest of the year.
Bamborino, Italian for "plump infant," is also their word for flank
steak of beef. In Mexican cuisine, a niño envuelto (a swaddled baby)
is a tasty ingredient wrapped in a thin omelet. An Afghan dessert, made
of rolled phyllo dough drenched in sweet syrup, is known as Asabia el
Aroos ("bride's fingers"). English pastries, filled with strawberries,
are known as "baby's arms" or "dead man's arms." Peter
Farb has pointed out that these are not the only examples: "Italians
symbolically cannibalize the most respected figures in their culture by
eating such things as 'nun's thighs,' 'nipples of the virgin'
and 'the pope's nose."

Jeri Quinzio compiled an entire (and entirely delightful) menu of such
dishes, called "Friends for Dinner:"

MENU

Finger Foods
Lady's Thigh Meatballs