Posted to rec.food.historic

Default Candy

Hi,

Looking for a candy that my Grandmother always had - going back 45 years or so now. A type of breathmint - It was a very small (maybe like a barley pearl) colored (pink, purple, white, yellow) drop and smelled and tasted like a combination of Sen Sen and/or lavender and I believe it was imported (we are in PA). If I remember correctly, the package had a small cellophane cutout of a tulip and possibly was yellow. Anyone with any ideas - still in production anywhere?

Thanks.

Tamara

Posted to rec.food.historic

R. Fizek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looking for a candy that my Grandmother always had - going back 45
> years or so now. A type of breathmint - It was a very small (maybe
> like a barley pearl) colored (pink, purple, white, yellow) drop and
> smelled and tasted like a combination of Sen Sen and/or lavender and I
> believe it was imported (we are in PA). If I remember correctly, the
> package had a small cellophane cutout of a tulip and possibly was
> yellow. Anyone with any ideas - still in production anywhere?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tamara

Just within the past week or so, I watched a show on FoodTV about
"retro" candy from the bygone days. The show featured an online store
that it compared itself as the Amazon-like source for candy, instead of
books, but I forget its name. The store featured all sorts of candy I
remember but no longer see anywhere.

I recommend Googling for "retro candy internet" or something like that,
or as a suggestion <http://www.candydirect.com/mints/mints.html>. HTH.

Skyhooks
""aahhtt""
s b c g l o b a l
""ddoott""
n e t
Posted to rec.food.historic

In article >, Skyhooks > wrote:
= R. Fizek wrote:
= >
= > Hi,
= >
=
= Just within the past week or so, I watched a show on FoodTV about
= "retro" candy from the bygone days. The show featured an online store
= that it compared itself as the Amazon-like source for candy, instead of
= books, but I forget its name. The store featured all sorts of candy I
= remember but no longer see anywhere.
=
= I recommend Googling for "retro candy internet" or something like that,
= or as a suggestion <http://www.candydirect.com/mints/mints.html>. HTH.

There's an outfit called Vermont Country Store who sell old-time
candies (among other things). I don't know if they're all
authentic -- sometimes get the impression that they're
reproductions if that word fits candies...

Don't have the URL offhand but try googling for them.

--
Charlie Sorsby

Edgewood, NM 87015
USA
Posted to rec.food.historic

Charlie Sorsby wrote:

> In article >, Skyhooks > wrote:
> = R. Fizek wrote:
> = >
> = > Hi,
> = >
> = > Looking for a candy that my Grandmother always had - going back 45
> = > years or so now. A type of breathmint - It was a very small (maybe
> = > like a barley pearl) colored (pink, purple, white, yellow) drop and
> = > smelled and tasted like a combination of Sen Sen and/or lavender and I
> = > believe it was imported (we are in PA). If I remember correctly, the
> = > package had a small cellophane cutout of a tulip and possibly was
> = > yellow. Anyone with any ideas - still in production anywhere?
> =
> = Just within the past week or so, I watched a show on FoodTV about
> = "retro" candy from the bygone days. The show featured an online store
> = that it compared itself as the Amazon-like source for candy, instead of
> = books, but I forget its name. The store featured all sorts of candy I
> = remember but no longer see anywhere.
> =
> = I recommend Googling for "retro candy internet" or something like that,
> = or as a suggestion <http://www.candydirect.com/mints/mints.html>. HTH.
>
> There's an outfit called Vermont Country Store who sell old-time
> candies (among other things). I don't know if they're all
> authentic -- sometimes get the impression that they're
> reproductions if that word fits candies...
>
> Don't have the URL offhand but try googling for them.
>
> --
> Charlie Sorsby
>
> Edgewood, NM 87015
> USA

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com

I've received there catalog from time to time, and I'd buy a few items
from them if monetary issues weren't a concern. I believe the products
this store sells are genuine and not reproductions. A lot of the items
they sell are very often hard to find.

Skyhooks
""aahhtt""
s b c g l o b a l
""ddoott""
n e t
Posted to rec.food.historic

Skyhooks > wrote:

> http://www.vermontcountrystore.com

> A lot of the items they sell are very often hard to find.

We were at Cracker Barrel one time and enjoyed the saltines
that came with the salad. So much so that I found some of
them at Vermont Country Store. Got em shipped, ate em,
delicious.

Next time we were at Cracker Barrel, up there in their junk
room was a pile of those cracker boxes... argh, coulda
just bought it there rather than searching the net.

sam

Posted to rec.food.historic

years ago, someone on this very newsgroup directed me towards this
website...it's still around; perhaps it will be helpful to you...

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/

Cheers,
Corey.

Skyhooks > wrote:
S> Charlie Sorsby wrote:
>>
>> In article >, Skyhooks > wrote:
>> = R. Fizek wrote:
>> = >
>> = > Hi,
>> = >
>> = > Looking for a candy that my Grandmother always had - going back 45
>> = > years or so now. A type of breathmint - It was a very small (maybe
>> = > like a barley pearl) colored (pink, purple, white, yellow) drop and
>> = > smelled and tasted like a combination of Sen Sen and/or lavender and I
>> = > believe it was imported (we are in PA). If I remember correctly, the
>> = > package had a small cellophane cutout of a tulip and possibly was
>> = > yellow. Anyone with any ideas - still in production anywhere?
>> =
>> = Just within the past week or so, I watched a show on FoodTV about
>> = "retro" candy from the bygone days. The show featured an online store
>> = that it compared itself as the Amazon-like source for candy, instead of
>> = books, but I forget its name. The store featured all sorts of candy I
>> = remember but no longer see anywhere.
>> =
>> = I recommend Googling for "retro candy internet" or something like that,
>> = or as a suggestion <http://www.candydirect.com/mints/mints.html>. HTH.
>>
>> There's an outfit called Vermont Country Store who sell old-time
>> candies (among other things). I don't know if they're all
>> authentic -- sometimes get the impression that they're
>> reproductions if that word fits candies...
>>
>> Don't have the URL offhand but try googling for them.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie Sorsby
>>
>> Edgewood, NM 87015
>> USA

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com

S> I've received there catalog from time to time, and I'd buy a few items
S> from them if monetary issues weren't a concern. I believe the products
S> this store sells are genuine and not reproductions. A lot of the items
S> they sell are very often hard to find.

S> Skyhooks
S> ""aahhtt""
S> s b c g l o b a l
S> ""ddoott""
S> n e t

corey at dub dot net
(remove extra '.' in address to respond)