Posted to rec.food.historic

Default The first fish & chip shop in the UK

Hi,

We're searching for any information about Joseph Malin who is reputed
to have opened the first Fish & Chip shop in the UK in Cleveland
Street, Bethnal Green in 1860. Joseph is probably my husbands GG grand
father.

We know that a Joseph Henry Malin was born c1852, probably his son, and
was at 78/80 Cleveland Street in the 1891 census with his family Mary
(wife) and Elizabeth (grand mother), Charlottte, Joseph, Rosetta,
Florence, Alfred, Albert and Mary. When Elizabeth married James Laut in
1897 she was still living at 80 Cleveland Street.

Haven't proven our link to Joseph senior but the Cleveland Street
address makes it likely that he is at least the same family.

Any help would be appreciated.
Jean