JRKRideau

Default Strange cooking utensils- Fry pan and aluminium boxes

While poking around in a flea market the other day I noticed two
unusual items. One was a rectangular cast iron (frying?) pan, divided
lenthwise down the middle with raised ridge and then with one side
divided again cross-wise. Overall size would be aaboaut 4 inches X 5
inches. My best guess was that it was some type of frying pan to cook
individual servings of bacon and eggs. Has anyone seen anything like
this?

The other item was, as best I can describe it, two rectangular
aluminum pans, about 3 inches X 4 inches and 1.5 inches deep, hinged
on one side and with handles on each pan (both handles at the same
end). The two pans folded over onto each other but there was no tight
seal. This item left me and the flea market owner totally at a loss.
Any suggestions as to what this could possible be would be
appreciated. BTW, it may not even be a cooking implement, but the
guage of alumiium and the handles looked like typical alluminium
cooking ware

Thanks

John
Perth Canada
Bob (this one)

JRKRideau wrote:

> While poking around in a flea market the other day I noticed two
> unusual items. One was a rectangular cast iron (frying?) pan, divided
> lenthwise down the middle with raised ridge and then with one side
> divided again cross-wise. Overall size would be aaboaut 4 inches X 5
> inches. My best guess was that it was some type of frying pan to cook
> individual servings of bacon and eggs. Has anyone seen anything like
> this?

Not this one.

> The other item was, as best I can describe it, two rectangular
> aluminum pans, about 3 inches X 4 inches and 1.5 inches deep, hinged
> on one side and with handles on each pan (both handles at the same
> end). The two pans folded over onto each other but there was no tight
> seal. This item left me and the flea market owner totally at a loss.
> Any suggestions as to what this could possible be would be
> appreciated. BTW, it may not even be a cooking implement, but the
> guage of alumiium and the handles looked like typical alluminium
> cooking ware

This sounds like an omelet pan that is still marketed in the US. The
premise is to put some beaten egg in either or both sides, cook it a
little and then close the pan to enclose any toppings put on the egg.

They are wonderful solutions to problems that don't exist.

Pastorio

Jenn Ridley

"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

>JRKRideau wrote:

>> The other item was, as best I can describe it, two rectangular
>> aluminum pans, about 3 inches X 4 inches and 1.5 inches deep, hinged
>> on one side and with handles on each pan (both handles at the same
>> end). The two pans folded over onto each other but there was no tight
>> seal. This item left me and the flea market owner totally at a loss.
>> Any suggestions as to what this could possible be would be
>> appreciated. BTW, it may not even be a cooking implement, but the
>> guage of alumiium and the handles looked like typical alluminium
>> cooking ware

>This sounds like an omelet pan that is still marketed in the US. The
>premise is to put some beaten egg in either or both sides, cook it a
>little and then close the pan to enclose any toppings put on the egg.
>
>They are wonderful solutions to problems that don't exist.

If you're a professional, yeah, it's not a problem. They're not sold
to prefessionals. They come in quite handy when you're doing
omelettes for 300. With a kitchen crew that's only in the kitchenn
twice a year.

The ones we use aren't rectangular, though.

jenn
(NLUMC Egg Supper, 150 years and counting)
--
Jenn Ridley

GMAJaskol

i have a unit close to what your'e describing.
they may be old mess kits from the army.
mine are 3x6.
i have one that's single walled and another that's double walled.
and the divided cast iron is just that , for cooking several things at once.
i got rid of mine.
JRKRideau

Jenn Ridley > wrote in message >. ..
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
> >JRKRideau wrote:

> >> The other item was, as best I can describe it, two rectangular
> >> aluminum pans, about 3 inches X 4 inches and 1.5 inches deep, hinged
> >> on one side and with handles on each pan (both handles at the same
> >> end). The two pans folded over onto each other but there was no tight
> >> seal. This item left me and the flea market owner totally at a loss.
> >> Any suggestions as to what this could possible be would be
> >> appreciated. BTW, it may not even be a cooking implement, but the
> >> guage of alumiium and the handles looked like typical alluminium
> >> cooking ware

> >This sounds like an omelet pan that is still marketed in the US. The
> >premise is to put some beaten egg in either or both sides, cook it a
> >little and then close the pan to enclose any toppings put on the egg.
> >
> >They are wonderful solutions to problems that don't exist.

> If you're a professional, yeah, it's not a problem. They're not sold
> to prefessionals. They come in quite handy when you're doing
> omelettes for 300. With a kitchen crew that's only in the kitchenn
> twice a year.
>
> The ones we use aren't rectangular, though.
>
> jenn
> (NLUMC Egg Supper, 150 years and counting)

Thanks for all the responses. I was particularly interested in the
omelette pan. I still find it hard to *really*believe someone would
come up with such a strange object but other people around where I
live agree with the Group. So I guess I'm wrong. I even went back to
the flea market yesterday and the owner nodded and said "Well yes, an
omlette pan, that makes sense".

I'll take my old cast iron frying pan any day.

John Kane
Perth ON. Canada

Opinicus

"JRKRideau" > wrote

> I'll take my old cast iron frying pan any day.

I must say that it would take quite a practiced and muscular
wrist to flip an omlette in any of the "old cast iron
frying" pans that it's been my privilige to be acquainted
with.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse