Arthur Bay

Default Postum

Can anyone tell me where/if Postum is still available? I have searched
everywhere I can think of without result. Been drinking the stuff over
7 decades. Miss it. If don't know but can give me a lead or two on how
to search for it (I've tried Googling) please do.

Arthur Bay

dei

Arthur Bay > wrote in news:c5u1c0$5t625$1@ID-
63925.news.uni-berlin.de:

> Can anyone tell me where/if Postum is still available? I have searched
> everywhere I can think of without result. Been drinking the stuff over
> 7 decades. Miss it. If don't know but can give me a lead or two on how
> to search for it (I've tried Googling) please do.
>
> Arthur Bay

Hee hee, I briefly though this was a continuation of the "Possum" thread...

Try the Vermont Country Sto

http://tinyurl.com/yr7vn

R. Yang

Arthur Bay > wrote in message >...
> Can anyone tell me where/if Postum is still available? I have searched
> everywhere I can think of without result. Been drinking the stuff over
> 7 decades. Miss it. If don't know but can give me a lead or two on how
> to search for it (I've tried Googling) please do.

If your local grocery stopped carrying it, you might want to get them
to special order it... it's still available in Southern California
grocery stores, though not all of them. I think it's manufactured by
General Foods / Kraft Foods.

R. Yang
Patrick Porter

I have seen Postum in the store here in California recently---what I
really miss is Royal Lunch Milk Crackers, though

Postum, to, my knowledge, was started during WWII as a substitute for
coffee.

Why would anyone actually "WANT" to drink it?
It's kinda like that horible stuff the Brits used during the war, ,

What was it? vegamite? or something just as yukie, , , , ,
My Grandfather and Grandmother drank Postum during the war, but no one
else in the family would drink it.

Except for nostalgia, and remember, , , , , , ,
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Ron C.

=======================
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:40:38 -0700, (Patrick Porter)
wrote:

>I have seen Postum in the store here in California recently---what I
>really miss is Royal Lunch Milk Crackers, though

Olivers

Hairy Antelope muttered....

http://www.posttexas.com/C.W.Post%20history.htm

> where it says:
>
> ----------------------8<-----------------------------------------------
> --------------- He gave his mixture the name, Postum Food Coffee. At
> this time, 1894, not many food stuffs were advertised. Most
> advertising went to soaps, stove polish, patent medicine and the like.
>
> After perfecting his Postum Food Coffee, Post was left with the
> problem of marketing his product. Getting the product into the public
> eye was the key to a successful product, as much or even more than its
> quality. He knew that no matter how good a product was, if the
> buying public was not aware of it, they would never taste it. In
> February, 1895, Post went to the neighboring town of Grand Rapids,
> Michigan. With a larger population, larger grocery stores and a
> newspaper with a wide circulation, the Evening Press, he launched a
> massive advertising campaign.
> ------------------------8<---------------------------------------------
> ------------------
>
> There were several other sites that the search brought up that more or
> less agree with the date of origin ...

Mr. Post, long resident in Texas (long enough to have a town named for him)
is one of those strange state heroes, like Mr. Borden (not Lizzie'sa but
Elsie's), better known elsewhere.

Isn't Postum a product made from toasted wheat?

TMO

Mark Zanger

Nah, Postum was commercialized at the turn of the 20th Century by CW Post,
who had enjoyed similar cereal coffees at the Battle Creek Sanitarium then
run on Adventist vegetarian principles by the Kellogg brothers. Post was a
recovered patient, who marketed Postum, then went into the breakfast cereal
business. Harvey Kellogg then broke with his older brother to found a
company to commercialize corn flakes, another instant breakfast cereal that
actually had been invented by his brother.

But the idea of cereal coffees may be older than coffee in Europe. It is
likely older than the US, but certainly documented in cookbooks before the
Civil War, and extensively discussed in Confederate sources during the war.

--
-Mark H. Zanger
author, The American History Cookbook, The American Ethnic Cookbook for

"Dr " > wrote in message
> Postum, to, my knowledge, was started during WWII as a substitute for
> coffee.
>
> Why would anyone actually "WANT" to drink it?
> It's kinda like that horible stuff the Brits used during the war, ,
>
> What was it? vegamite? or something just as yukie, , , , ,
> My Grandfather and Grandmother drank Postum during the war, but no one
> else in the family would drink it.
>
> Except for nostalgia, and remember, , , , , , ,
> Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
>
> Ron C.
>
> =======================
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:40:38 -0700,
(Patrick Porter)
> wrote:
>
> >I have seen Postum in the store here in California recently---what I
> >really miss is Royal Lunch Milk Crackers, though

ASmith1946

>Harvey Kellogg then broke with his older brother to found a
>company to commercialize corn flakes, another instant breakfast cereal that
>actually had been invented by his brother.

Mark:

It was the reverse-- Will K. Kellogg was the younger brother. He removed Harvey
from the Board of the Kellogg Corn Flakes Company, and commercialized the
product, much to the opposition of Harvey. Will made big bucks while Harvey
maintained the Sanatarium They didn't speak for years, although Will did help
Harvey out financially from time to time.

Andy Smith

Searching for Postum is much like trying to find Vegamite!
Neither one tasts very good, and why would anyone even WANT to find it
?
:-}~nyuk nyuk nyuk, , , , ,

Ron C.
===========================

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 08:55:14 -0500, Arthur Bay >
wrote:

>Can anyone tell me where/if Postum is still available? I have searched
>everywhere I can think of without result. Been drinking the stuff over
>7 decades. Miss it. If don't know but can give me a lead or two on how
>to search for it (I've tried Googling) please do.
>
>Arthur Bay

bbutch

Default Postum-AVAILABLE ONLINE!

Postum is available ONLINE at the Vermont Country Store website. The URL is
www.vermontcountrystore.com. CHEERS!

Postum Postmortem Charlene Charette General Cooking 1 07-03-2008 11:56 PM
Postum RILady General Cooking 2 03-12-2006 07:13 AM
Postum Arthur Bay General 0 11-04-2004 12:12 AM