ASmith1946

Default The best things to eat and drink

I'm trying to determine how to go about making a list of the best things to eat
and drink. I know this is impossible, so please humor me a bit. I seek your
personal opinions as to what should be on this list. My current structure
includes:

1) commercial products, such as the best apples, olive oil, wine, beer,
vinegar, chocolate, ice cream, cake, cheese, etc.;

2) foods, such as salads, salad dressings, desserts, spaghetti, pizza, etc.;

3) places, such as-- the best place to eat in London, or Paris or Tokyo-- or
the best place to eat a sub sandwich, taco, chili con queso, etc.

4) unusual things, such as kumis, chocolate covered ants, puffer fish, etc.

I'm not after the most expensive things-- just your opinion of what is the best
of something to eat or drink. I realize this is highly subjective-- but your
creative suggestions would be very helpful.

Andy Smith

Arri London

ASmith1946 wrote:

> I'm trying to determine how to go about making a list of the best things to eat
> and drink. I know this is impossible, so please humor me a bit. I seek your
> personal opinions as to what should be on this list.

Are we assuming you're doing this list for the Encyclopedia? In that
case do you want primarily American things to eat?

My current structure
> includes:
>
> 1) commercial products, such as the best apples, olive oil, wine, beer,
> vinegar, chocolate, ice cream, cake, cheese, etc.;

My vote for best chocolate is Lindt 90% cocoa solids or any of the types
of chocolate that contain the chopped up cocoa nibs.

> 2) foods, such as salads, salad dressings, desserts, spaghetti, pizza, etc.;

Need to think about that.

> 3) places, such as-- the best place to eat in London, or Paris or Tokyo-- or
> the best place to eat a sub sandwich, taco, chili con queso, etc.

Best Italian Hot Dogs are at Jimmy Buff's in Newark NJ.
There are zillions of best places to eat in London. What sort of food
are we talking about? Don't even know the name of my favourite Chinese
'barbeque' place in London; it's a hole-in-the wall that's been done up
somewhat.

> 4) unusual things, such as kumis, chocolate covered ants, puffer fish, etc.

Icelandic skyr, which is a fermented milk product. Yoghurt but more so!
It seems to be available in NYC.

> I'm not after the most expensive things-- just your opinion of what is the best
> of something to eat or drink. I realize this is highly subjective-- but your
> creative suggestions would be very helpful.
>
> Andy Smith

Kate Dicey

I'mm gonna drive you nuts with this one! ;D

ASmith1946 wrote:

> I'm trying to determine how to go about making a list of the best things to eat
> and drink. I know this is impossible, so please humor me a bit. I seek your
> personal opinions as to what should be on this list. My current structure
> includes:
>
> 1) commercial products, such as the best apples, olive oil, wine, beer,
> vinegar, chocolate, ice cream, cake, cheese, etc.;

Best apples: Local Kent grown Cox'x from orchards just up the road
Best olive oil: Hellenic Sun cold pressed extra vigin Greek - a good all
round one with a strong flavour
Oh there are lots of these! Mme Jolie's Clos de la Coulee de Serrant
has to be up there. Still have a few bottles left...
Best ber: hm... I like knife and fork berr, so a stonkingly good
everyday one would be Wadworth's 6X, but I have to admit I love Nelson's
Blood. Oh, there are way to many seriously good real ales here in the
UK, and then we start on the continentals.. Hard to beat the Trappists,
or a Bavarian dark larger.
Vinegar: Dunno - I make my own red wine vinegar, but i suppose the best
commercial one is Pawley Farm's cider vinegar. You can still taste the
apples...
Chocolate: has to be the Belgian stuff I buy in lumps hacked off a 5
kilo block in my local health food shop! It's about 78% cocoa solids,
so great for both cooking and eating.
Ice cream: nah... Haven't bought any in years! I make my own.
Cake: Nope, make those too... But if I HAVE to buy a cake, the village
shop sells home made ones, made by a lady in the village just for the
shop!
Cheese: There is no 'best' cheese! There are excellent cheeses
available all over the place. I love a nice ripe stilton, or a good goat
cheese, and I don't think anything made in the Wensleydale creamery is
less than excellent, but I'd be hard pushed to find a 'best' one!
Seriously good cheese is readily available here, and comes from all over
Europe!

> 2) foods, such as salads, salad dressings, desserts, spaghetti, pizza, etc.;

Best foods: has to be stuff like fresh and smoked Scottish wild salmon,
Arbroath Smokies, a really good home made haggis, cloutie dumpling, a
nice hot pot of cullen skink... My home made garlic mayonnaise, a salad
of smoked makarel, yoghurt, and beetroot that I first came across in the
Netherlands, pashka, home made bread...

> 3) places, such as-- the best place to eat in London, or Paris or Tokyo-- or
> the best place to eat a sub sandwich, taco, chili con queso, etc.

One of my most favourite places to eat is the Tankerville Arms in
Northumberland. Another is The Fruiterers Arms in Rodmersham, just a
few miles away. I like a good pub with an excellent range of real ales
and excellent food to complement it.

> 4) unusual things, such as kumis, chocolate covered ants, puffer fish, etc.

Dark chocolate coated Stilton. Brie with strawberries. Hot raised prk
pie with mustard. Mealie puddin's!

> I'm not after the most expensive things-- just your opinion of what is the best
> of something to eat or drink. I realize this is highly subjective-- but your
> creative suggestions would be very helpful.

Some of these things are very inexpensive, one cannot be had for love
nor money! I'll let you guess. Fun question!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Kate Dicey

I'm gonna drive you nuts with this one! ;D

ASmith1946 wrote:

> I'm trying to determine how to go about making a list of the best things to eat
> and drink. I know this is impossible, so please humor me a bit. I seek your
> personal opinions as to what should be on this list. My current structure
> includes:
>
> 1) commercial products, such as the best apples, olive oil, wine, beer,
> vinegar, chocolate, ice cream, cake, cheese, etc.;

Best apples: Local Kent grown Cox's from orchards just up the road
Best olive oil: Hellenic Sun cold pressed extra virgin Greek - a good
all
round one with a strong flavour
Oh there are lots of these! Mme Joly's Clos de la Coulee de Serrant
has to be up there. Still have a few bottles left... See he
http://www.coulee-de-serrant.com/accueilang.html
Best beer: hm... I like knife and fork beer, so a stonkingly good
everyday one would be Wadworth's 6X, but I have to admit I love Nelson's
Blood. Oh, there are way to many seriously good real ales here in the
UK, and then we start on the continentals.. Hard to beat the Trappists,
or a Bavarian dark larger.
Vinegar: Dunno - I make my own red wine vinegar, but I suppose the best
commercial one is Pawley Farm's cider vinegar. You can still taste the
apples...
Chocolate: has to be the Belgian stuff I buy in lumps hacked off a 5
kilo block in my local health food shop! It's about 78% cocoa solids,
so great for both cooking and eating.
Ice cream: nah... Haven't bought any in years! I make my own.
Cake: Nope, make those too... But if I HAVE to buy a cake, the village
shop sells home made ones, made by a lady in the village just for the
shop!
Cheese: There is no 'best' cheese! There are excellent cheeses
available all over the place. I love a nice ripe stilton, or a good goat
cheese, and I don't think anything made in the Wensleydale creamery is
less than excellent, but I'd be hard pushed to find a 'best' one!
Seriously good cheese is readily available here, and comes from all over
Europe!

> 2) foods, such as salads, salad dressings, desserts, spaghetti, pizza, etc.;

Best foods: has to be stuff like fresh and smoked Scottish wild salmon,
Arbroath Smokies, a really good home made haggis, cloutie dumpling, a
nice hot pot of cullen skink... My home made garlic mayonnaise, a salad
of smoked mackerel, yoghurt, and beetroot that I first came across in
the
Netherlands, pashka, home made bread...

> 3) places, such as-- the best place to eat in London, or Paris or Tokyo-- or
> the best place to eat a sub sandwich, taco, chili con queso, etc.

One of my most favourite places to eat is the Tankerville Arms in
Northumberland. Another is The Fruiterers Arms in Rodmersham, just a
few miles away. I like a good pub with an excellent range of real ales
and excellent food to complement it.

> 4) unusual things, such as kumis, chocolate covered ants, puffer fish, etc.

Dark chocolate coated Stilton. Brie with strawberries. Hot raised pork
pie with mustard. Mealie puddin's!

> I'm not after the most expensive things-- just your opinion of what is the best
> of something to eat or drink. I realize this is highly subjective-- but your
> creative suggestions would be very helpful.

Some of these things are very inexpensive, one cannot be had for love
nor money! I'll let you guess. Fun question!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
ASmith1946

>Are we assuming you're doing this list for the Encyclopedia? In that
>case do you want primarily American things to eat?

Thankfully, the Oxford Encyclopedia on Food and Drink in America is in
production and should be out in September. So I'm looking at a possible idea
of what to do next... It is a bizzare idea, I admit, which is why I seek your
collective advice, suggestions and comments (and at this stage negative
comments are welcome).

If this goes forward, it will not be limited to "American" food and drink.

What do you like to eat/drink?

What and where can you find the best of it?

Andy Smith

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:54:29 +0100, Kate Dicey
> wrote:

>ASmith1946 wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to determine how to go about making a list of the best things to eat
>> and drink. I know this is impossible, so please humor me a bit. I seek your
>> personal opinions as to what should be on this list. My current structure
>> includes:
>>
>> 1) commercial products, such as the best apples, olive oil, wine, beer,
>> vinegar, chocolate, ice cream, cake, cheese, etc.;

The best wine vinegar I have had happened in 1964, when there was a
fire in our apartment building that got into our apartment. A bottle
of Chateau Latour 1958 got cooked, and we let it go to vinegar. I have
never had the equal since.

Not very helpful, I know.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"The buck stops There."
ASmith1946

Let me change the question slightly... Are there some things that
1) you've consumed;
2) that are excellent;
3) that you think others should try at least once in their life; and
4) if others did try it, they'd agree that it was excellent?

Andy Smith
Opinicus

"ASmith1946" > wrote in message
> Let me change the question slightly... Are there some things that
> 1) you've consumed;
> 2) that are excellent;
> 3) that you think others should try at least once in their life; and
> 4) if others did try it, they'd agree that it was excellent?

Well that does clear up the question. Here's the first one of my answers
that comes to mind.

A fish soup that was common in Ayvalik, Turkey when I was there. Meaty (and
mostly leftover fish not good for grilling) are simmered together with
potatoes, carrots, celery root, onions, garlic, parsley. and the local
virgin olive oil. When everything is soft, the mixture is passed through a
sieve and thinned with clear fish broth as necessary.

I could never get enough of this. And it's a great cure for hangovers.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Olivers

Opinicus muttered....

> "ASmith1946" > wrote in message
>> Let me change the question slightly... Are there some things that
>> 1) you've consumed;
>> 2) that are excellent;
>> 3) that you think others should try at least once in their life; and
>> 4) if others did try it, they'd agree that it was excellent?

> Well that does clear up the question. Here's the first one of my
> answers that comes to mind.
>
> A fish soup that was common in Ayvalik, Turkey when I was there. Meaty
> (and mostly leftover fish not good for grilling) are simmered together
> with potatoes, carrots, celery root, onions, garlic, parsley. and the
> local virgin olive oil. When everything is soft, the mixture is passed
> through a sieve and thinned with clear fish broth as necessary.
>
> I could never get enough of this. And it's a great cure for hangovers.

Send the janissaries with their kettle drums/brass cook pots up to the
house to whup up a mess of that for a late supper. I wouldn't even need a
glass of raki to make that go down good....

TMO

A really good "Hangtown Fry"

Vietnamese Iced Coffee with a couple of spoonfuls of brandy.

Quail grilled en brochette with smoked bacon

A platter of 2 dozen raw oysters of at least 6 different varieties/origins,
seved with a fresh baguette, butter, fresh grated horseradish, Tabasco,
lemons and cut limes.

The crab and shrimp stuffed eggplant at Galatoire's, New Orleans

Good crabcakes or crab imperial with "blue" crab

Shrimp al mojo de ajo.

Pears poached in port w/fresh ginger and good vanilla ice cream

Fresh asparagus and Scotiish smoked salmon

A whole filet of decent beef, rubbed in garlic and chipotle, marinated in
fresh lime juice and olive oil then quick roasted over hot coals and served
with a lime, garlic, cilantro, flat parsley and olive oil "chimchurri"
style sauce.

Speckled (sea) trout filets, sauteed and served with brown butter (and
maybe an almond sliver or two)

Fresh brook trout cooked in the pan right after the bacon came out.

With almost any red meat, a full bucch of fresh spinach quick stirred just
past wilted, served with good butter and lemon wedges.

A well made flan with a few berries

A boule of crusty sour dough bread, one or more of a dozen or so dry cure
Italian sausages, some prosciutto of decent origin, a wedge of Pecorino
(about halfway along), some Gorgonzola, a soft creamy cheese, and a half
dozen bottles of wine we've never tasted before but have been recommended
by competent authority.

.....and the time to think of a dozen or so more

Kate Dicey

ASmith1946 wrote:

> Let me change the question slightly... Are there some things that
> 1) you've consumed;
> 2) that are excellent;
> 3) that you think others should try at least once in their life; and
> 4) if others did try it, they'd agree that it was excellent?
>
> Andy Smith

Laphroaig: not sure it fits 4... And a friend of mine had a 15 YO cask
strength Caol Isla that just tasted like smoked heaven in a glass.

Truffles...

The sausage meat stuffed mushrooms DH makes... BIG mushrooms - the size
of saucers!

My friend Debbie's chocolate whiskey cheesecake.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Arri London

ASmith1946 wrote:

> >Are we assuming you're doing this list for the Encyclopedia? In that
> >case do you want primarily American things to eat?

> Thankfully, the Oxford Encyclopedia on Food and Drink in America is in
> production and should be out in September.

I know...I got the email and the offer for a 'reduced price copy' for
contributors. They were asking for 'top ten lists' fairly recently,
which is why I asked.

So I'm looking at a possible idea
> of what to do next... It is a bizzare idea, I admit, which is why I seek your
> collective advice, suggestions and comments (and at this stage negative
> comments are welcome).
>
> If this goes forward, it will not be limited to "American" food and drink.
>
> What do you like to eat/drink?
>
> What and where can you find the best of it?
>
> Andy Smith

ASmith1946

Arri:

I'm befuddled-- are you Astrid related?. Can you email me off line?

Andy Smith

>I know...I got the email and the offer for a 'reduced price copy' for
>contributors. They were asking for 'top ten lists' fairly recently,
>which is why I asked.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On 16 Apr 2004 15:30:38 GMT, (ASmith1946) wrote:

>Let me change the question slightly... Are there some things that
>1) you've consumed;
>2) that are excellent;
>3) that you think others should try at least once in their life; and
>4) if others did try it, they'd agree that it was excellent?

That is probably a better formulation, but it still has a problem.
Almost anything to eat that can be really excellent can fail to be so
sometimes. If it is a raw natural plant or animal it is variable by
nature. If it is a complicated cooked dish it depends on the skill of
the chef.

So, I suggest that #4 should have reduced weight, compared to 1, 2,
and 3. You never know what someone else will like anyway.

Some things that fit the first three for me:

Hudson Valley foie gras. I have had as good in France but I didn't
know where it was grown, I have also had not-as-good in France.

Sand dabs, cooked whole. Try Hayes Street Grill in SF. They treat them
with respect.

Grey Sole, also cooked whole.

Many other fish can be excellent, but are probably well known.

Monk-fish liver. Not for a steady diet, but should be tried.

Brittany oysters, #00 (Belon)

Fresh cepes (porcini). Sliced, sauteed, and tossed with first-rate
pasta.

Raw bluefin tuna at a good sushi bar.

Smoked eel from Petrossian. I like other smoked eel, but theirs is in
a class by itself.

Gravlax

Softshell crabs

White anchovies in oil

Andouillettes definitely fail #4, as some people don't like them at
all, but everyone should decide that by trying them once.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you
bogus address

>> A fish soup that was common in Ayvalik, Turkey when I was there. Meaty
>> (and mostly leftover fish not good for grilling) are simmered together
>> with potatoes, carrots, celery root, onions, garlic, parsley. and the
>> local virgin olive oil. When everything is soft, the mixture is passed
>> through a sieve and thinned with clear fish broth as necessary.

> Send the janissaries with their kettle drums/brass cook pots up to
> the house to whup up a mess of that for a late supper. I wouldn't
> even need a glass of raki to make that go down good....

Wrong culture? Ayvalik retained Greek influences much longer than the
rest of Aegean Turkey, and some of the older people still speak Greek.
Most recipes for Aegean fish must predate the Turkish invasion - well,
the potatoes in that one don't, but otherwise Odysseus could have had
it.

Ayvalik is one hell of a nice place...

I hadn't thought of this before, but the Turkish kettledrum doesn't
derive from the janissaries' cooking pots: wrong shape. Turkish
cauldrons are cylindrical, flaring out at the bottom, with a rounded
base, not simple hemispheres like a kettledrum. So is there a cooking
pot from some other culture that became the ancestor of the naker/
kettledrum?

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Olivers

bogus address muttered....

> Wrong culture? Ayvalik retained Greek influences much longer than the
> rest of Aegean Turkey, and some of the older people still speak Greek.
> Most recipes for Aegean fish must predate the Turkish invasion - well,
> the potatoes in that one don't, but otherwise Odysseus could have had
> it.

I've often wondered whether, but generally projected that the janissaries
were fed a fairly standard rural Ottoman Turkish diet. Even though they
were overwhelmingly nonTurk, most dragooned from the nonMuslim population
of the Balkans and Euxine littoral, their "draft" seems to have been an
early childhood sort of thing, leaving them young enough to adapt to
Turkish (or their own institutional) customs, diet, etc..