Old 11-04-2004, 09:38 PM

Default Recipes for seagull?

Having eaten seagull once when marooned off the coast of Korea, I can
assure you that although it served to fill the void, It was definately
not a delicacy. It tasted like raw fish, as would be expected.

Ron C.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 02:34:05 +0100, David Hawthorne
wrote:

I gather that seagulls (esp. those of the black-headed type) used to
be a delicacy in Britain in years gone by (I remember reading a
newspaper article many years ago in which it was mentioned that they
used to keep the gulls caged and feed them nothing but oatmeal for
several weeks in order to fatten them up and remove all traces of salt
from their flesh).

Some of the breeds are as big as chickens, they're plentiful and they
always seem to be well-fed - I'd be amazed if there were not places in
the world that still exploit the birds as a food source.

My grandma also told me a story about how, during WWII, her dad
returned home one evening with a brace of freshly-shot herring gulls
to supplement the rations (apparently they were really greasy and
tasted awful when prepared as chicken).

It's made me very curious indeed. I would be interested in learning
some seagull recipes from different parts of the world and the correct
way in which to prepare the meat. Also, if anyone here has eaten gull
before, I would like to know their opinion of it...

Anyone able to help?