larry

Default BUFFALO MEAT COOKING HINTS +RECIPES

I really have buffalo meat cooking fever :-)
Living in Tulsa,OK it is easy to get, delicious+no fat!!
Any other buffalo meat lovers out there?

thanks, Larry
T. L. Hicks

I was recently introduced to Bison this month when I moved a friend to SD,
and loved it! Unfortunately, I haven't found any since I returned home (MA).

T. L. Hicks

larry

Default BUFFALO MEAT RECIPES,here's 1(+I have more

"T. L. Hicks" > wrote in message >.. .
> I was recently introduced to Bison this month when I moved a friend to SD,
> and loved it! Unfortunately, I haven't found any since I returned home (MA).
>
> T. L. Hicks

BUFFALO Pizza Burgers

makes 8 servings
Hamburgers - 2 lbs buffalo made into 5 patties
Mozarella Cheese - 4 ounces (8 c)
Pepperoni slices - 3 ounces (4 c)
Pizza sauce: (makes about 1 cup)
3 tbsp tomato paste (14 carbs)
3tab Italian seasoning (1 carb)
1tab onion powder,+ garlic powder
1/4 tsp each pepper, lite salt
Hamburgers:
2 lbs of buffaloburger
3 tab Italian seasoning
3 TB worcestshire sauce
1/2 tsp each lite salt and pepper

Mix all ingred in meat,but cheese,pizza.sauce,+pepperoni
Make the patties, fry 5min per side on med heat and top with 2 TB of
pizza sauce then 1 ounce of cheese and 1 ounce of pepperoni slices.
Broil for a few mins till cheese melts and pepperoni is crispy on the
edges. Yum yum!

Skillet Pizza Burgers
Recipe By :JoAnna M. Lund
5 Points Per Serving

16 ounces ground 90% lean turkey or beef
6 tablespoons dried fine bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 cup Heinz Light Harvest Ketchup
3 (3/4 oz) slices Kraft reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
6 lettuce leaves
1 medium-sized fresh tomato -- cut into 6 slices
6 reduced-calorie hamburger buns

"Pizza burgers were always a favorite of my boys when they were
growing up, so when I asked them to taste this healthy version of
their childhood treat, I held my breath for a moment. Phew! They
absolutely loved it--and I bet your kids will too!"
1. In large bowl, combine meat, bread crumbs, onion, black pepper,
Italian seasoning & ketchup. Mix well to combine. Using a 1/3 cup
measuring cup as a guide, form into 6 patties. Arrange patties in a
large skillet sprayed with olive oil-flavored cooking spray. Brown for
4 to 5 minutes on each side or until cooked to desired doneness. Cut
mozzarella cheese slices in half. Place 1 piece of cheese on each
patty and continue cooking for 1 minute or until cheese melts. For
each sandwich, place a lettuce leaf & a tomato slice on bun bottom,
arrange meat patty over tomato, and place bun top over meat. Freezes
well.
Yield: "6 burgers"
Serving size (1 burger)
According to the cookbook: Per serving: 257 Cal, 9g Fat, 20g Pro, 24g
Carb, 359mg Sod, 91mg Calc, 2g Fib Healthy Exchanges: 2 1/2 Protein, 1
1/3 Bread, 1/3 Vegetable 10 Opt. Cal. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 Meat, 1
1/2 Starch/Carbohydrate Weight Watcher Points: 5
Source: "Penny-Pinching Main Dishes Cookbook, page 138" Copyright:
"Healthy Exchanges, Inc., 1998
larry

"T. L. Hicks" > wrote in message >.. .
> I was recently introduced to Bison this month when I moved a friend to SD,
> and loved it! Unfortunately, I haven't found any since I returned home (MA).
>
> T. L. Hicks

BUFFALO Pizza Burgers

makes 8 servings
Hamburgers - 2 lbs buffalo made into 5 patties
Mozarella Cheese - 4 ounces (8 c)
Pepperoni slices - 3 ounces (4 c)
Pizza sauce: (makes about 1 cup)
3 tbsp tomato paste (14 carbs)
3tab Italian seasoning (1 carb)
1tab onion powder,+ garlic powder
1/4 tsp each pepper, lite salt
Hamburgers:
2 lbs of buffaloburger
3 tab Italian seasoning
3 TB worcestshire sauce
1/2 tsp each lite salt and pepper

Mix all ingred in meat,but cheese,pizza.sauce,+pepperoni
Make the patties, fry 5min per side on med heat and top with 2 TB of
pizza sauce then 1 ounce of cheese and 1 ounce of pepperoni slices.
Broil for a few mins till cheese melts and pepperoni is crispy on the
edges. Yum yum!

Skillet Pizza Burgers
Recipe By :JoAnna M. Lund
5 Points Per Serving

16 ounces ground 90% lean turkey or beef
6 tablespoons dried fine bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 cup Heinz Light Harvest Ketchup
3 (3/4 oz) slices Kraft reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
6 lettuce leaves
1 medium-sized fresh tomato -- cut into 6 slices
6 reduced-calorie hamburger buns

"Pizza burgers were always a favorite of my boys when they were
growing up, so when I asked them to taste this healthy version of
their childhood treat, I held my breath for a moment. Phew! They
absolutely loved it--and I bet your kids will too!"
1. In large bowl, combine meat, bread crumbs, onion, black pepper,
Italian seasoning & ketchup. Mix well to combine. Using a 1/3 cup
measuring cup as a guide, form into 6 patties. Arrange patties in a
large skillet sprayed with olive oil-flavored cooking spray. Brown for
4 to 5 minutes on each side or until cooked to desired doneness. Cut
mozzarella cheese slices in half. Place 1 piece of cheese on each
patty and continue cooking for 1 minute or until cheese melts. For
each sandwich, place a lettuce leaf & a tomato slice on bun bottom,
arrange meat patty over tomato, and place bun top over meat. Freezes
well.
larry z
T. L. Hicks

Thanks for the recipes, but they don't do me much good until I can find some
buffalo meat around here. :-(

ASmith1946

>Thanks for the recipes, but they don't do me much good until I can find some
>buffalo meat around here. :-(

No problem. Just take beef, remove all the fat, then let it sit outside in the
open for a few days, or place it in your refrigerator without covering it for a
few weeks. You won't be able to tell the difference.

Andy Smith
Olivers

ASmith1946 extrapolated from data available...

>>Thanks for the recipes, but they don't do me much good until I can
>>find some buffalo meat around here. :-(
>>

> No problem. Just take beef, remove all the fat, then let it sit
> outside in the open for a few days, or place it in your refrigerator
> without covering it for a few weeks. You won't be able to tell the
> difference.

Buffalo's really not that bad, but there's a critical problem with raising
buffler....when the wind sets in from the North, the buffler head South,
and yo'everyday three strand/cedar post barbed wire fence ain't goona slow
them big sumbitches down. The amount/type/strength of fencing and handling
equipment need to pasture and handle buffalo adds substantially to their
cost. Then there's time and conversion factors. Today's beef cattle can
be shipped off to the lot and fattened for market quickly and with a
moderate amount of feed in a pounds in/pounds out basis.

Buffalo grow to a different equation. I wouldn't pass up a "Chateaubriand
of Bison", but that tenderloin is gonna cost a lot more than prime, up
there in the range with Kobe beef....

Just as with the ostrich and emu crap, there's a limit to what folks will
pay - and that damn emu tastes like dry sawdust anyway.

TMO
bogus address

>> Thanks for the recipes, but they don't do me much good until I can
>> find some buffalo meat around here. :-(

> No problem. Just take beef, remove all the fat, then let it sit outside
> in the open for a few days, or place it in your refrigerator without
> covering it for a few weeks. You won't be able to tell the difference.

There are, I think, a few surviving mediaeval recipes for aurochs.
Does the same technique work?

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Bob (this one)

Olivers wrote:

> ASmith1946 extrapolated from data available...
>
>>>Thanks for the recipes, but they don't do me much good until I can
>>>find some buffalo meat around here. :-(
>>>

>>No problem. Just take beef, remove all the fat, then let it sit
>>outside in the open for a few days, or place it in your refrigerator
>>without covering it for a few weeks. You won't be able to tell the
>>difference.
>>

> Buffalo's really not that bad,

Actually pretty good, butchered and handled properly.

> but there's a critical problem with raising
> buffler....when the wind sets in from the North, the buffler head South,
> and yo'everyday three strand/cedar post barbed wire fence ain't goona slow
> them big sumbitches down. The amount/type/strength of fencing and handling
> equipment need to pasture and handle buffalo adds substantially to their
> cost. Then there's time and conversion factors. Today's beef cattle can
> be shipped off to the lot and fattened for market quickly and with a
> moderate amount of feed in a pounds in/pounds out basis.

One of my neighbors tried to grow them. They pretty much wandered away
whenever they felt like. One time, he finally caught up with one
dragging about 50 feet of fence with him. Couldn't actually herd the
critter home, more like ****ed it off in that general direction and it
got there when it got there. Has goats now. Got into the cheese
business. They stay put, he says.

> Buffalo grow to a different equation. I wouldn't pass up a "Chateaubriand
> of Bison", but that tenderloin is gonna cost a lot more than prime, up
> there in the range with Kobe beef....
>
> Just as with the ostrich and emu crap, there's a limit to what folks will
> pay - and that damn emu tastes like dry sawdust anyway.

The *good* emu tastes like that.

Pastorio

JE Anderson

"Olivers" > wrote in message

<much snippage>

> Buffalo's really not that bad,

Buffalo is actually an excellent tasting, tender meat, I prefer it to beef.
It is also lower in fat and unlikely to have been adulterated with
antibiotics etc. The original organic meat on the hoof <grin>.

>but there's a critical problem with raising
> buffler....when the wind sets in from the North, the buffler head South,
> and yo'everyday three strand/cedar post barbed wire fence ain't goona slow
> them big sumbitches down. The amount/type/strength of fencing and

handling
> equipment need to pasture and handle buffalo adds substantially to their
> cost. Then there's time and conversion factors. Today's beef cattle can
> be shipped off to the lot and fattened for market quickly and with a
> moderate amount of feed in a pounds in/pounds out basis.

I have never looked closely to the fencing on the buffalo ranches up here, I
will have to stop on my next trip down to Edmonton. I do know they dot the
landscape with fair regularity these days, even small Mom & Pop kinds of
operations of 4 or 5 head.

> Buffalo grow to a different equation. I wouldn't pass up a "Chateaubriand
> of Bison", but that tenderloin is gonna cost a lot more than prime, up
> there in the range with Kobe beef....

Actually that is a fallacy, at least in Alberta. I pay about a 10 - 20%
premium for buffalo meat at my butcher. I can get it for less from a direct
supplier. T-bone buffalo is about $23.00/kilo, T-bone beef is about
$19.00/kilo on an average day. Not counting grocery store sale prices on
the beef of course.

How do you get buffalo out in your area? Direct from the rancher or through
a 3rd party?

> Just as with the ostrich and emu crap, there's a limit to what folks will
> pay - and that damn emu tastes like dry sawdust anyway.
>
> TMO

I have never tried Ostrich though I have seen it in the local health food
store freezer. I have heard you need to be very careful in preparing it due
to the extreme lack of fat.

Janet

Kacey Barriss

Oh, so sorry, but I disagree with you emu. It only tastes like
"sawdust" or "shoe leather" if you don't cook it properly. It's an
extremely lean meat. As with any other animal who's flesh we eat, what
the animal eats also tends to leave a residual "flavor" in the flesh.

Kacey

--
Outgoing messages checked with Norton Antivirus 2003.

Kacey Barriss

Now, Bob...

Bob (this one) wrote:

> Olivers wrote:

<snip>

> The *good* emu tastes like that.
>
> Pastorio

Emu can be used in any recipe that venison is called for. It's only as
good or bad as the chef chooses to make it. Personally, I've had beef
that tasted so nasty that the dog wouldn't even eat. (NO, it wasn't
spoiled - just improperly prepared).
Kacey
--
Outgoing messages checked with Norton Antivirus 2003.

Bob (this one)

Kacey Barriss wrote:

> Oh, so sorry, but I disagree with you emu. It only tastes like=20
> "sawdust" or "shoe leather" if you don't cook it properly. It's an=20
> extremely lean meat. As with any other animal who's flesh we eat, what=

=20
> the animal eats also tends to leave a residual "flavor" in the flesh.

I understand. Ratites are desperately lean and need to be barded=20
and/or larded and never cooked past medium, at most. I've always=20
cooked it at a low temp, with plenty of added fat. Actually to=20
medium-rare (135=B0F finished temp) and no more.

My examples must have been eating mahogany and maybe birch planks. The=20
odd bit of pine or oak. <LOL> I like ostrich better.

But I like beef best.

In another note today, you said:
> Emu can be used in any recipe that venison is called for. It's only
> as good or bad as the chef chooses to make it. Personally, I've had
> beef that tasted so nasty that the dog wouldn't even eat. (NO, it
> wasn't spoiled - just improperly prepared).

In this I don't agree. Autumn venison around here has a good bit of=20
fat in it. I generally add a bit more, but nothing like what emu or=20
ostrich needs. Whether steaks or large roasts, I find the flavor of=20
venison more intense and "meatier" than either bird. Perhaps a greater=20
gaminess.

But I wouldn't turn down some good bird meat. Made a wonderful emu=20
marsala during the holidays. CUt the meat into scallops, floured,=20
saut=E9ed and glazed with demi-glace, mushroom duxelles, heavy cream and =

a splash of marsala. Zowie, it was good.

Pastorio

> Kacey
>=20
> Olivers wrote:
>=20
>> ASmith1946 extrapolated from data available...

>>> No problem. Just take beef, remove all the fat, then let it sit
>>> outside in the open for a few days, or place it in your refrigerator
>>> without covering it for a few weeks. You won't be able to tell the
>>> difference.

>> Buffalo's really not that bad, but there's a critical problem with=20
>> raising buffler....when the wind sets in from the North, the buffler=20
>> head South, and yo'everyday three strand/cedar post barbed wire fence =

>> ain't goona slow them big sumbitches down. The amount/type/strength=20
>> of fencing and handling equipment need to pasture and handle buffalo=20
>> adds substantially to their cost. Then there's time and conversion=20
>> factors. Today's beef cattle can be shipped off to the lot and=20
>> fattened for market quickly and with a moderate amount of feed in a=20
>> pounds in/pounds out basis.
>>
>> Buffalo grow to a different equation. I wouldn't pass up a=20
>> "Chateaubriand of Bison", but that tenderloin is gonna cost a lot more=

=20
>> than prime, up there in the range with Kobe beef....
>>
>> Just as with the ostrich and emu crap, there's a limit to what folks=20
>> will pay - and that damn emu tastes like dry sawdust anyway.
>>
>> TMO

>=20
>=20

Olivers

JE Anderson extrapolated from data available...

> Actually that is a fallacy, at least in Alberta. I pay about a 10 -
> 20% premium for buffalo meat at my butcher. I can get it for less
> from a direct supplier. T-bone buffalo is about $23.00/kilo, T-bone
> beef is about $19.00/kilo on an average day. Not counting grocery
> store sale prices on the beef of course.

"Everyday" TBone (the standard "sto-bought" market grades below prime)
rarely exceeds $7 a pound (about the equivalent of your $19 a kilo
considering lower Canadian dollar), and can be bought on sale for as low as
$3.99 a pound. I've not seen buffalo in local markets but a local premium
meat service carries it frozen and like everything lese including the
better sins it can be bought in Austiin....TBone in the $12-15 a pound
range with tenderloin appreciably higher.

I "harvested" a surplus one with a friend from a nearby ranch last year and
got a hindquarter, tongue (smoking) and section of the hump, great for slow
barbecue. Because buffalo, at least around here, walk more, the hindquater
was pretty sinewy compared to your basic year old fattened calf called beef
sold at the market.

TMO
Jodie Kain

The Maine Buffalo Co distributes meat through The Yellowfront grocery
stores in Wiscasset & Damariscotta, Maine. I've bought it from the
Wiscasset store (2.5 hrs north of Boston, on rt 1) & it was terrific. I
missed your post where you stated your location but coastal Maine is
beautiful this time of year & is worth a visit anyway :-)

JE Anderson

"Olivers" > wrote in message
> JE Anderson extrapolated from data available...
>

> > Actually that is a fallacy, at least in Alberta. I pay about a 10 -
> > 20% premium for buffalo meat at my butcher. I can get it for less
> > from a direct supplier. T-bone buffalo is about $23.00/kilo, T-bone
> > beef is about $19.00/kilo on an average day. Not counting grocery
> > store sale prices on the beef of course.
> >

> "Everyday" TBone (the standard "sto-bought" market grades below prime)
> rarely exceeds $7 a pound (about the equivalent of your $19 a kilo
> considering lower Canadian dollar), and can be bought on sale for as low

as
> $3.99 a pound. I've not seen buffalo in local markets but a local premium
> meat service carries it frozen and like everything lese including the
> better sins it can be bought in Austiin....TBone in the $12-15 a pound
> range with tenderloin appreciably higher.

That definitely is a huge price difference! I realised as I read your
answer that I appeared to be challenging your price experiences - sorry
about that. We are so used to it being relatively cheap here that I forget
it is not so available elsewhere. We can buy almost any cut at the butcher
(frozen unfortunately) and the local Save-On Foods grocery store carries the
ground meat on a regular basis.

> I "harvested" a surplus one with a friend from a nearby ranch last year

and
> got a hindquarter, tongue (smoking) and section of the hump, great for

slow
> barbecue. Because buffalo, at least around here, walk more, the

hindquater
> was pretty sinewy compared to your basic year old fattened calf called

beef
> sold at the market.

Lucky, lucky you! How did the tongue turn out? Did you brine it first? I
have only ever experience corned tongue which I enjoyed greatly. Buffalo do
spend a lot of time roaming up here as well and I imagine a great portion of
the carcass goes for stewed or braised product than on a steer. I grew up
relatively poor and am used to eating cheaper cuts and lots of braised or
boiled beef, perhaps that is why I prefer buffalo now...

> TMO

Thanks for the clarification on your market prices.

Janet

Olivers

JE Anderson extrapolated from data available...

How did the tongue turn out?

Good to Excellent, simply not enough of it....

Cleaned it up, then into a marinade of sour red wine and salt for a couple
of days, then wrapped it in bacon. Slow smoked at about 160F for about 5
hours. Removed bacon and used it as a flvoring for beans. Chilled, sliced
tongue paper thin, served with mustard sauce.

Did you brine it
> first? I have only ever experience corned tongue which I enjoyed
> greatly. Buffalo do spend a lot of time roaming up here as well and I
> imagine a great portion of the carcass goes for stewed or braised
> product than on a steer. I grew up relatively poor and am used to
> eating cheaper cuts and lots of braised or boiled beef, perhaps that
> is why I prefer buffalo now...

> Thanks for the clarification on your market prices.

We grew up on grass fed "ranch beef", the best of which came from my
Uncle's down on the Gulf Coastal Plain where the pasture's pretty salty,
and the beef doesn't have the sweet taste that corn gives it. The reason
for "Chili", "chicken fried steak", etc., the traditional recipes, was that
not much of the beef was tender enough to grill/broild.

TMO