Calarachne

Default Did Coca-Cola have cocaine in it?

Is it true that Coca-Cola originally had cocaine in it? And how does
the shape of the original bottle hint at that?

Thanks for the help!
Henriette Kress

Calarachne wrote:

> Is it true that Coca-Cola originally had cocaine in it?

Yes. The name is an important clue:
Coca - coca bush (contains cocaine)
Cola - cola nut (contains coffeine)

And I've heard (not even all that long ago) that Coca cola still
imports decocaine'd coca leaves by the tonne, to include in the
making of coca cola.

The taste of coca cola is mainly citrus, cinnamon and vanilla.

Cola nut tastes almost (but not quite) like cacao; cola nut fudge is
just yum.

> And how does the shape of the original bottle hint at that?

I don't think it does. The fruit of cacao has longitudinal ridges
in it, but there's no cacao in coca cola. AFAIK of course; I've seen
an ingredient list (not a recipe) but it's been a while.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG * * * * * * * * * * *Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

Gregory Toomey

Calarachne wrote:

> Is it true that Coca-Cola originally had cocaine in it? And how does
> the shape of the original bottle hint at that?
>
> Thanks for the help!

Yes, this is brought up so often it gets its own snopes page.

http://snopes.com/cokelore/cokelore.asp

gtoomey
Robin Carroll-Mann

On 13 Mar 2004 10:18:35 -0800, (Calarachne) wrote:

>Is it true that Coca-Cola originally had cocaine in it? And how does
>the shape of the original bottle hint at that?

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/bottle.asp

Robin Carroll-Mann
"Mostly Harmless" -- Douglas Adams
To email me, remove the fish
Henriette Kress

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
> (Calarachne) wrote:
>
>>Is it true that Coca-Cola originally had cocaine in it? And how does
>>the shape of the original bottle hint at that?

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp
> http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/bottle.asp

Cool! The bottle shape makes sense, 'cos cacao's cocoa too, which is
pretty close to coca, spoken or written.

There's a third one in the mix, coconut, which also was cocoanut ... but
which is irrelevant in this case, since it doesn't have ridges.

Kola nut of course looks nothing like the bottle.

Hetta