PossumPieGuy

Default Possum?

Is there a restaurant in ChicagoLand that serves Possum Meat - is
Possum Meat legal - does it taste good?
bogus address

> Is there a restaurant in ChicagoLand that serves Possum Meat -
> is Possum Meat legal - does it taste good?

I grew up in New Zealand where possums are a pest and a LOT of people
go out hunting. Folklore said they weren't worth bothering with (tough
and tasteless), and that was so ingrained that I have never met anybody
who's tried to eat one.

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Kacey Barriss

Possum is generally considered a pest in most places. However, they are
edible and not too bad if that's all that's available. Granny used to
cook them - parboiled first with ramps and a little vinegar; then, she'd
put them in a roaster with sweet potatoes, more ramps, and whatever
seasonings she had on hand. Tasted ok the way she made them but not
something I'd cook.

Kacey

--
Outgoing messages checked with Norton Antivirus 2003.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 21:33:47 -0600, Kacey Barriss >
wrote:

>Possum is generally considered a pest in most places. However, they are
>edible and not too bad if that's all that's available. Granny used to
>cook them - parboiled first with ramps and a little vinegar; then, she'd
>put them in a roaster with sweet potatoes, more ramps, and whatever
>seasonings she had on hand. Tasted ok the way she made them but not
>something I'd cook.

Ramps redeem a lot of things. Somehow, I don't think you are writing
from New Zealand.

I am eagerly anticipating the first ramps of spring, as well as the
first shad roe.

yum

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Happy is he that taketh thy little ones and dasheth them upon the stones." __Psalm 137

Kacey Barriss

<VBG> No, I'm not in N. Zealand, although I'd love to be able to travel
there someday. Ramps grew wild were I lived as a child. IIRC, there
are still a couple of smallish towns in the Appalachian mountains that
still hold ramp festivals.

Kacey

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 21:33:47 -0600, Kacey Barriss >
> wrote:
>

>>Possum is generally considered a pest in most places. However, they are
>>edible and not too bad if that's all that's available. Granny used to
>>cook them - parboiled first with ramps and a little vinegar; then, she'd
>>put them in a roaster with sweet potatoes, more ramps, and whatever
>>seasonings she had on hand. Tasted ok the way she made them but not
>>something I'd cook.
>>

> Ramps redeem a lot of things. Somehow, I don't think you are writing
> from New Zealand.
>
> I am eagerly anticipating the first ramps of spring, as well as the
> first shad roe.
>
> yum
>

> Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a
>
> "Happy is he that taketh thy little ones and dasheth them upon the stones." __Psalm 137

--
Outgoing messages checked with Norton Antivirus 2003.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:39:18 -0600, Alan wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 00:13:29 -0500, Rodney Myrvaagnes
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 21:33:47 -0600, Kacey Barriss >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Possum is generally considered a pest in most places. However, they are
>>>edible and not too bad if that's all that's available. Granny used to
>>>cook them - parboiled first with ramps and a little vinegar; then, she'd
>>>put them in a roaster with sweet potatoes, more ramps, and whatever
>>>seasonings she had on hand. Tasted ok the way she made them but not
>>>something I'd cook.
>>>

>>Ramps redeem a lot of things. Somehow, I don't think you are writing
>>from New Zealand.
>>
>>I am eagerly anticipating the first ramps of spring, as well as the
>>first shad roe.
>>
>>yum
>>

>Ramps????????????????
>
>What the heck are THEY?

They are a gift of springtime in the Appalachian range of the eastern
US. Sometimes called wild leeks, but they don't taste like leeks or
look like them.

They are alliums (members of the onion-garlic-leek-bulb-flower etc
family) The exposed green parts spread and come back to pointed ends.

There is something in France that looks similar. I saw them in a nice
veggie stand near the Champs-Elysee just before I had to go to the
airport. There was no label on them so I dont know what they are
called there. I also don't know if the similarity extends past
appearance.

I was tempted to buy a bunch just to chew on them and find out, but I
refrained out of consideration for fellow passengers.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.
Kacey Barriss

A bulb type plant with a taste similar to a cross of green garden onion
and wild garlic. Generally, when tulip fronds are starting to show
above ground in the mountains, it's time to start looking for the ramps.
Definitely not a flavor that enhances the breath. Definitely enhances
the flavor of many dishes.

Kacey

--
Outgoing messages checked with Norton Antivirus 2003.

Karl Hungus

"Olivers" > wrote in message

> In the US rural South, primarilty among the very poor and mostly African
> American, cooked with sweet taters, greasy, somewhat porkish in color,
> unappealing, not near as good as Hoover Hog (armadillo) which comes in its
> own baking dish, but carries the Hansen's virus, enough to make you throw
> in your hand while playing bridge - no, not the cards, the hand, Hansen's
> being Leprosy (curable by today's antibiotics from the Streptomycin line,
> IIRC).

If Hansen's is a virus, how can it be effectively treated with antibiotics?

Karl
===
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to
back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein

bogus address

>> [possum is] not near as good as Hoover Hog (armadillo) which comes
>> in its own baking dish, but carries the Hansen's virus, enough to
>> make you throw in your hand while playing bridge - no, not the cards,
>> the hand, Hansen's being Leprosy (curable by today's antibiotics from
>> the Streptomycin line, IIRC).

> If Hansen's is a virus, how can it be effectively treated with
> antibiotics?

It isn't a virus, it's a bacterium closely related to the one that
causes TB.

It's very difficult to catch; usually takes years of contact with
an infected person before you get it. (Unlike TB from infected milk,
which is a serious hazard).

Both TB and leprosy need treatment by multiple antibiotics for some
time - the TB protocol was developed in Edinburgh in the 1950s,
but it took twenty years for an analogous regimen to be adopted for
leprosy.

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Karl Hungus

"bogus address" > wrote in message

> >> [possum is] not near as good as Hoover Hog (armadillo) which comes
> >> in its own baking dish, but carries the Hansen's virus, enough to
> >> make you throw in your hand while playing bridge - no, not the cards,
> >> the hand, Hansen's being Leprosy (curable by today's antibiotics from
> >> the Streptomycin line, IIRC).

> > If Hansen's is a virus, how can it be effectively treated with
> > antibiotics?

> It isn't a virus, it's a bacterium closely related to the one that
> causes TB.

I know. I was just calling him on his error.

> It's very difficult to catch; usually takes years of contact with
> an infected person before you get it. (Unlike TB from infected milk,
> which is a serious hazard).
>
> Both TB and leprosy need treatment by multiple antibiotics for some
> time - the TB protocol was developed in Edinburgh in the 1950s,
> but it took twenty years for an analogous regimen to be adopted for
> leprosy.

Q. What did the leper say to the prostitute?

A. "Keep the tip."

Sorry, I couldn't resist . . .

bogus address

>> Both TB and leprosy need treatment by multiple antibiotics for some
>> time - the TB protocol was developed in Edinburgh in the 1950s,
>> but it took twenty years for an analogous regimen to be adopted for
>> leprosy.

> Q. What did the leper say to the prostitute?
> A. "Keep the tip."

Q: What happened to the prostitute afterwards?
A: Her business fell off.

I wonder if jokes like that ever really go away with changing
fashions, or whether one generation of 15-year-olds tells them
to the next? I think I must have heard that one in 1964. There
was an epidemic of leper jokes at the time.

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Joe Peach

How could you possibly eat "Pogo"?????

"We have met the enemy, and he is us"........Pogo..........by the most
brilliant cartoonist of the century, (in my opinion) Walt Kelly.

If you really think Doonesbury, Kelvin & Hobbes.....etc..... are brilliant &
funny.......Look at the Walt Kelly Books (he also did a Syndicated Cartoon
strip for many years) on EBay & buy one.....most being created in the 50's &
60's....he was truly brilliant, if not genius.

Now.....if you live in Beverly Hills, in a big mansion.....you might have
possum served to you quite often.....

"PossumPieGuy" > wrote in message
om...
> Is there a restaurant in ChicagoLand that serves Possum Meat - is
> Possum Meat legal - does it taste good?

Peggy

They serve possum at "wild game feeds" that hunters have around here in
Central Illinois. Although I've never tried it, people who frequent those
events say that it's good only if the person cooking it knows what they're
doing. I'm sure it's one of those things that people learned to make
somewhat tasty out of necessity - or starve! By the way, if you've ever come
face to face with a possum, they look exactly like a giant ugly rat. Also,
I've never heard of possum hunting season - I think it's probably free game.
.... One other thing - they also eat raccoon, which has to be cooked over
several hours in broth, all the while occasionally skimming off the excess
fat that floats to the top.... bon a petit!

"Olivers" > wrote in message
> Steve Wertz muttered....
>
> > On 6 Mar 2004 12:37:50 -0800,
> > (PossumPieGuy) wrote:
> >
> >>Is there a restaurant in ChicagoLand that serves Possum Meat - is
> >>Possum Meat legal - does it taste good?

> > No, Yes, and no.
> >
> > Unless you were raised eating possum meat, then chances are you'd
> > be better of with another kind of meat.
> >
> > Possums are ugly, smelly, and parasite-ridden animals. There is
> > no market for possum farming.
> >

> In the US rural South, primarilty among the very poor and mostly African
> American, cooked with sweet taters, greasy, somewhat porkish in color,
> unappealing, not near as good as Hoover Hog (armadillo) which comes in its
> own baking dish, but carries the Hansen's virus, enough to make you throw
> in your hand while playing bridge - no, not the cards, the hand, Hansen's
> being Leprosy (curable by today's antibiotics from the Streptomycin line,
> IIRC).
>
> TMO

Jeremy

I have had a possum and coon taco in Texas, and the trick is long
marination, slow cooking and fat skimming to tenderize the meat.
Although it may look like a rat the opossum is not related in anyway. On
the tasty rodent list is definitely nutria, very much like rabbit when
cooked.

JJ

Peggy wrote:

> They serve possum at "wild game feeds" that hunters have around here in
> Central Illinois. Although I've never tried it, people who frequent those
> events say that it's good only if the person cooking it knows what they're
> doing. I'm sure it's one of those things that people learned to make
> somewhat tasty out of necessity - or starve! By the way, if you've ever come
> face to face with a possum, they look exactly like a giant ugly rat. Also,
> I've never heard of possum hunting season - I think it's probably free game.
> ... One other thing - they also eat raccoon, which has to be cooked over
> several hours in broth, all the while occasionally skimming off the excess
> fat that floats to the top.... bon a petit!
>
> "Olivers" > wrote in message
> > Steve Wertz muttered....

> > > No, Yes, and no.
> > >
> > > Unless you were raised eating possum meat, then chances are you'd
> > > be better of with another kind of meat.
> > >
> > > Possums are ugly, smelly, and parasite-ridden animals. There is
> > > no market for possum farming.
> > >

> > In the US rural South, primarilty among the very poor and mostly African
> > American, cooked with sweet taters, greasy, somewhat porkish in color,
> > unappealing, not near as good as Hoover Hog (armadillo) which comes in its
> > own baking dish, but carries the Hansen's virus, enough to make you throw
> > in your hand while playing bridge - no, not the cards, the hand, Hansen's
> > being Leprosy (curable by today's antibiotics from the Streptomycin line,
> > IIRC).
> >
> > TMO

Judith

What are ramps?...

--
Judith

"Kacey Barriss" > wrote in message
> <VBG> No, I'm not in N. Zealand, although I'd love to be able to travel
> there someday. Ramps grew wild were I lived as a child. IIRC, there
> are still a couple of smallish towns in the Appalachian mountains that
> still hold ramp festivals.
>
> Kacey
>
> Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
> > On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 21:33:47 -0600, Kacey Barriss >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Possum is generally considered a pest in most places. However, they are
> >>edible and not too bad if that's all that's available. Granny used to
> >>cook them - parboiled first with ramps and a little vinegar; then, she'd
> >>put them in a roaster with sweet potatoes, more ramps, and whatever
> >>seasonings she had on hand. Tasted ok the way she made them but not
> >>something I'd cook.
> >>

> > Ramps redeem a lot of things. Somehow, I don't think you are writing
> > from New Zealand.
> >
> > I am eagerly anticipating the first ramps of spring, as well as the
> > first shad roe.
> >
> > yum
> >

> > Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a
> >
> > "Happy is he that taketh thy little ones and dasheth them upon the

stones." __Psalm 137

> --
> Outgoing messages checked with Norton Antivirus 2003.

---

Judith

I live in SE TN....are they the same as my neighbor calls "wild
onions".....they look like chives growing up in my lawn?

--
Judith

"Kacey Barriss" > wrote in message
> A bulb type plant with a taste similar to a cross of green garden onion
> and wild garlic. Generally, when tulip fronds are starting to show
> above ground in the mountains, it's time to start looking for the ramps.
> Definitely not a flavor that enhances the breath. Definitely enhances
> the flavor of many dishes.
>
> Kacey
>
> Alan wrote:
> > On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 00:13:29 -0500, Rodney Myrvaagnes
> > > wrote:

are

she'd

> >>Ramps redeem a lot of things. Somehow, I don't think you are writing

> >>from New Zealand.

> >>I am eagerly anticipating the first ramps of spring, as well as the
> >>first shad roe.
> >>
> >>yum
> >>

> > Ramps????????????????
> >
> > What the heck are THEY?
> >

> --
> Outgoing messages checked with Norton Antivirus 2003.

---

Kacey Barriss

Your neighbor is probably right. Some people call them wild onions &
I've heard some refer to them as wild garlic.

Kacey

Judith wrote:
> I live in SE TN....are they the same as my neighbor calls "wild
> onions".....they look like chives growing up in my lawn?

--
Outgoing messages checked with Norton Antivirus 2003.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:03:59 -0400, "Judith"
> wrote:

>What are ramps?...
>
>--
>Judith
>
>"Kacey Barriss" > wrote in message

A wild allium native to the Appalachian range of the eastern US. Some
people call the "wild leeks" but they don't look or taste like leeks.

They first came in bulk to the Union Square Greenarket last week and
will probably be available through May.

We will have some tomorrow night with local grass-fed lamb chops
anchored at Eaton's neck on our first weekend sail of the season. I
know Barbara can cook lamb chops over a proplane stove in semidarkness
to just the right rareness, but I don't know how she tells.

Last Wednesday we had raps with mackerel.

My aunt in Tennessee knows what ramps are, and may even have eaten
them with possum, although she probably wouldn't admit it.

In NYC they are fancy food, on the menues of the best restaurants at
this time of year.

Try some if you come across any. You may like them.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you