Old 24-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Olivers

Default Haggis

Henriette Kress muttered....

Olivers wrote:

While I would be open to challenge (and gladly accept it), I would
doubt whether more than 5% of the current population of Scotland
would eat haggis more than once in 30 day period

So when's the last time you've eaten sausage?

Yesterday, and several times in last couple of weeks, but that includes a
wide sprectrum, all the way from hard salami through Cajun andouille,
boudin, chorizo (Mexican) and "country" - no Blood Pudding, simply not
available, but Souse/Head Cheese in the deli case.

Roast beef?

Within a couple of weeks, excluding prime rib whaich was last Monday

Prime rib?

See above.

Liver?

Day before yesterday (Chicken liver)...
Beef (calf) Liver within last 30 days

Kidneys?

No, but within 60 days, on toast with Madeira

MickeyD's?

Saturday afternoon while driving back from Shreveport, but only a Coke.

Henriette

After reading of the wide availability of haggis in Scotland and even
throughout the Scuppered H'aisles, I'm convinced it remains a dietary
and cultural fixture, but I'm wondering if its regular consumption among
the young has not declined to special occasions, the fate of many
traditional foods here in the US.

I suppose that the demise of plum pudding here was to be expected, but even
some common vegestables now show up only in "ethnic" restaurants.

For all the criticism of US diets here, the US fat kid syndrome, I was
interested to hear a news story recently announcing the British youngsters
were growing fatter at an amazing rate, likely to outstrip US obesity
soon. Too much haggis, I suppose...

TMO

Old 24-02-2004, 04:42 PM
deiusenet

Olivers wrote in
:

snips

After reading of the wide availability of haggis in Scotland and even
throughout the Scuppered H'aisles, I'm convinced it remains a dietary
and cultural fixture, but I'm wondering if its regular consumption
among the young has not declined to special occasions, the fate of
many traditional foods here in the US.

and more snips

TMO

A young (vegetarian) Glaswegian of my acquaintance assures me that his best
friend really, really likes haggis pakora...

He didn't have any comment on the vegetarian version, though, when I
forwarded him the thread...

Old 24-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Peggy

Kate Dicey wrote:

Opinicus wrote:

"Peggy" wrote in message

What's cullen skink?

http://www.rampantscotland.com/recip...ipe_cullen.htm

The potato doesn't have to be mashed: in some areas, you drop them in in
lumps and let bits disintegrate in the soup, so it thickens it and you
get the lumps too. My granny used to just squeeze them a bit as she
dropped them in, so the lumps were all different sizes and shapes!

In some areas, diced or grated neeps are also added. It's like most
other peasant recipes: a basic idea with slight regional variations.

A hotel I worked in on the Fife coast did a very local variation I
havent seen elswhere, made with fresh partons. After completion, it was
pureed.

Kate -
I managed to figure out "neeps," but what are partons?
Peg

Old 24-02-2004, 07:53 PM
stephen

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Colin L wrote:

"Olivers" wrote in message
Kate Dicey muttered....

Are you based in Scotland? If not, rest assured that last time I
looked, it was readily available in both supermarkets and butcher's
shops, and eaten regularly. If you are, then I don't know where you
are looking, but while most folk don't make there own, it seems to

be
eaten as regularly as Lorne saussage and butteries! Or kippers,
Scotch pies and Arbroath smokies...

While I'm in Scotland for a only few days every two years, my

comparison
standard of two decades back, a two month period traveling about the
country left me believing that haggis (and several other traditional
dishes, Scottish and Aglo-S) were rapidly reaching the state of being
quaint survivors of a culture and cuisine cherished by a few and

unknown
many.

There was visible haggis around, but the percentage of the population

who
seemed to eat it regularly had diminished to tourists, traditionalists

and
the hardy band of folks to whom it appealed in a culinary sense.

While I would be open to challenge (and gladly accept it), I would

doubt
whether more than 5% of the current population of Scotland would eat

haggis
more than once in 30 day period (or at any time other than a special
celebratory occasion). Even that represents more folks than the

percentage
of Pennsylvanians who eat scrapple regularly.

Well, within less than 10 minutes walk of where I live* I have seen:
A budget style supermarket selling haggis
A frozen foods supermarket selling haggis, frozen
Local corner shops selling haggis, tinned
Local butcher shops selling haggis, made on the premises
Two large chain supermarkets selling haggis, frozen, tinned and fresh
A speciality organic shop selling, yes, organic haggis, and vegetarian
haggis
A vegetarian shop selling vegetarian haggis
An open 24 hour corner shop that sells vegetarian haggis stuffed samosas
A least three traditional chippies selling haggis suppers
A chinese takeaway that sells haggis suppers
A little further afield sees the pattern more or less repeated, with
restaurants getting on the act. Not far from here I can get a portion of
haggis pakora at an Indian restaurant.

I see people buy haggis all the time. I wouldn't say it was ubiquitous

or
eaten every day but a "quaint survivor"?

Colin L

*In Glasgow, on the border between a nice part of town and a not so nice
part of town

And our local Sainsbury's has it here in Kent - all year round, too, not
just in January!

Hope it's not the same brand Tescos have which they call haggis but is made
with pork!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't even taste like the real thing.

Steve

Old 25-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Gretchen Beck

According to the OED, it's a crab. So, a pureed crab soup (sounds yummy)

toodles, gretchen

--On Tuesday, February 24, 2004 1:33 PM -0500 Peggy

Old 25-02-2004, 03:34 AM
Kate Dicey

Olivers wrote:

Henriette Kress muttered....

Olivers wrote:

[...]

Nope: not enough running about! And too many sweets and crisps and the
like... My son has these things strictly rationed. Sweets once a week
(he
bought a bag of toffees last time, and half of them are still in the bag
10
days later! He's getting very good!). His school has also introduced a
no
sweets at break or lunchtime policy: they have to have healthy snacks
like
cereal bars or fruit.

There was a good article on a Kid's TV program here a few weeks back
that
showed the difference in the amount of activity (walking to school.
playing
outside after school, and the like) of kids now and kids 40 years ago,
the
difference in their school lunches ( typically meat and two veg, with
gravy,
followed by sponge pud and custard then, compared with pizza and chips
and ice
ream now), and the difference in the amount of PE they do (typically 4
hours
then and less than two now, mostly due to the constraints of the
National
Curriculum). It also detailed the number of sugary drinks (Cola and the
like)
drunk then and now, and the sweets and snacks consumed per day... It
was quite
horrifying! Kids seem to be eating in excess of 2000 kcalories per day
and
doing less than half the running about that they did when I was my son's
age!

I see a bit of this with my son: he's an only, and none of his friends
live
close enough for post school playing most days of the week, but we do
walk the
mile home (I am a non driver). At his age (9), while I had a 10 mile
bus
journey to school, I also had 3 siblings and loads of friends living
close by,
and no TV (At his age I lived in Malta, courtesy of the RAF). We also
had an
ultra safe environment to play in (Maltese adults tended to treat all
kids as
their own precious and doted on grand kids!), and plenty of warm salt
water...
No need for a telly! Our lifestyle at the time was more like a hot
version of
Swallows and Amazons than anything else.

My son does go to Judo twice a week, and cubs one night, so he does have
a more
active life than a lot of kids I see. I still feel this isn't quite
enough.
There isn't a huge amount of spare flesh on him, but he could be fitter.

Just today there was a small article in the Independant saying that
children's
waist sizes had grown by 4 cm or two clothing sizes in the last 20
years.
Girls are getting fatter quicker than boys, too. The incidence of Type
2
diabetes in kids is also increasing at alarming rates. The only
solution is to
eat a more ballanced diet (more fresh food, more fruit and veg), fewer
calories
(however you like to count them), and more physical activity.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old 25-02-2004, 03:34 AM
Kate Dicey

Peggy wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

Opinicus wrote:

"Peggy" wrote in message

What's cullen skink?

http://www.rampantscotland.com/recip...ipe_cullen.htm

The potato doesn't have to be mashed: in some areas, you drop them in in
lumps and let bits disintegrate in the soup, so it thickens it and you
get the lumps too. My granny used to just squeeze them a bit as she
dropped them in, so the lumps were all different sizes and shapes!

In some areas, diced or grated neeps are also added. It's like most
other peasant recipes: a basic idea with slight regional variations.

A hotel I worked in on the Fife coast did a very local variation I
havent seen elswhere, made with fresh partons. After completion, it was
pureed.

Kate -
I managed to figure out "neeps," but what are partons?
Peg

Oops! Sorry! Crabs!

Old 25-02-2004, 03:34 AM
Kate Dicey

stephen wrote:

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Colin L wrote:

"Olivers" wrote in message
[...]

They tend to be, if you buy the plastic cased ones, but I have seen real
butchers ones there too. Waitrose had some proper haggises.

I must get a set of ingredients from my butcher: he is very traditional,
and
would be pleased to help.

Old 25-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Boron Elgar

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 03:34:50 +0000, Kate Dicey
wrote:

Peggy wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

Opinicus wrote:

"Peggy" wrote in message

What's cullen skink?

http://www.rampantscotland.com/recip...ipe_cullen.htm

The potato doesn't have to be mashed: in some areas, you drop them in in
lumps and let bits disintegrate in the soup, so it thickens it and you
get the lumps too. My granny used to just squeeze them a bit as she
dropped them in, so the lumps were all different sizes and shapes!

In some areas, diced or grated neeps are also added. It's like most
other peasant recipes: a basic idea with slight regional variations.

A hotel I worked in on the Fife coast did a very local variation I
havent seen elswhere, made with fresh partons. After completion, it was
pureed.

Kate -
I managed to figure out "neeps," but what are partons?
Peg

Oops! Sorry! Crabs!

And here I was thinking breast of chick(en).

Boron
Old 25-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Kate Dicey

wrote:

Peggy wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

Opinicus wrote:

"Peggy" wrote in message

[...]

No, the crabby, shelled sort, not the pneumatic bust type pf parton, from he

http://www.gm0hzm.freeserve.co.uk/html/east_neuk.html

My granny lives on St Monans, and I worked one summer in the hotel in
Anstruther. We used to go to the fish market at Pittenweem

The Haggis! KLC Lewis Marketplace 1 14-09-2010 10:57 PM
Haggis is ENGLISH! Adam Hunt General Cooking 21 07-08-2009 10:04 AM
Has anyone a 'Hankering' for Haggis? Bigbazza[_7_] General Cooking 1 27-01-2008 05:43 AM