ASmith1946

Default British Cooking Schools --19th century

I'm looking for any information about 19th century British Cooking Schools--
specifically the South Kensington Cooking School and the Culinary College in
Edinburgh, both of which were operational at least during the 1870s.

Or any biographical information about Elizabeth Devereaux, a graduate of South
Kensington Cooking School, or about Matilda Lees Dods, also a graduate of the
South Kensington Cooking School in London and who taught at the Culinary
College in Edinburgh. Dods wrote several cookbooks, including "Culinary Art"
(1879) and "Art of Cooking" (1880). Both Devereaux and Dods visited the US in
the 1870s.

Andy Smith
Joseph Carlin

Andy:

This is off the topic but knowing of your interest in tomatoes you may want
to check out this site:

http://www.state.me.us/sos/arc/exhibits/market.htm

The state of Maine has been collecting labels from food products and bottled
water from the state from the late 19th century. The labels on these two
pages are works of art.

Joe Carlin
www.foodbooks.com

"ASmith1946" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for any information about 19th century British Cooking

Schools--
> specifically the South Kensington Cooking School and the Culinary College

in
> Edinburgh, both of which were operational at least during the 1870s.
>
> Or any biographical information about Elizabeth Devereaux, a graduate of

South
> Kensington Cooking School, or about Matilda Lees Dods, also a graduate of

the
> South Kensington Cooking School in London and who taught at the Culinary
> College in Edinburgh. Dods wrote several cookbooks, including "Culinary

Art"
> (1879) and "Art of Cooking" (1880). Both Devereaux and Dods visited the US

in
> the 1870s.
>
> Andy Smith

bogus address

> I'm looking for any information about 19th century British Cooking
> Schools--specifically the South Kensington Cooking School and the
> Culinary College in Edinburgh, both of which were operational at
> least during the 1870s.

It became Queen Margaret College and then Queen Margaret University.

Tom Begg
_The Excellent Women: the origins and history of
Queen Marg aret College, Edinburgh 1875 to 1994_
John Donald Publishers
Edinburgh 1994
ISBN 0 85976404 4 (paperback)

But be warned that Begg was on the QM staff and the book suffers
from institutional boosterism.

Marion here went to it, just before the Atholl Crescent building
closed. She can tell you a few stories about student life in a
Victorian timewarp if you phone...

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

19th century cooking SteveB[_4_] General Cooking 34 01-03-2009 05:35 PM
19th century kitchen utensils pictures jmcquown General Cooking 0 14-04-2006 06:09 AM
19th Century Baltimore Beer Jack Beer 3 05-04-2006 01:36 PM
what were the usual foodstuff for classical composers in the 19th century? [email protected] General Cooking 8 18-12-2004 02:41 AM
Help! Cooking Schools in Chicago? Max Sung General Cooking 11 18-10-2003 03:43 PM