Bromo

Default Garum -- anyone know a good substitute?

I am trying to put together a Roman dinner - and was wondering if anyone had
a good modern day substitute for Garum? I see that it is used all over the
place in the Roman diet - anyone know if anything comes close?

dolo

Bromo > wrote in
:

> I am trying to put together a Roman dinner - and was wondering if
> anyone had a good modern day substitute for Garum? I see that it is
> used all over the place in the Roman diet - anyone know if anything
> comes close?

Nuoc mam or nam pla? Maybe with the addition of some oregano?
Bryan J. Maloney

Bromo > nattered on
:

> I am trying to put together a Roman dinner - and was wondering if
> anyone had a good modern day substitute for Garum? I see that it is
> used all over the place in the Roman diet - anyone know if anything
> comes close?

I've read that Nuc Nam (Vietnamese) might be similar.
Frogleg

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:25:24 GMT, Bromo >
wrote:

>I am trying to put together a Roman dinner - and was wondering if anyone had
>a good modern day substitute for Garum? I see that it is used all over the
>place in the Roman diet - anyone know if anything comes close?

Google is your friend:

http://www.foodreference.com/html/fgarum.html

GMAJaskol

viet or thai fish sauce
Joe Conlon

Nuc Mam is the Vietnamese version. I've used it in a lot of Roman recipes
with good results.
Joe Conlon
"GMAJaskol" > wrote in message
> viet or thai fish sauce

Sure, , , ,Try Worchestershire sauce, , ,
It is a direct dirivitive of Garum.

Ron C.
================================

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:02:02 GMT, "Joe Conlon"
> wrote:

>Nuc Mam is the Vietnamese version. I've used it in a lot of Roman recipes
>with good results.
>Joe Conlon
>"GMAJaskol" > wrote in message
>> viet or thai fish sauce

Richard Wright

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:18:46 -0700, "Dr "
> wrote:

>Sure, , , ,Try Worchestershire sauce, , ,
>It is a direct dirivitive of Garum.
>
>Ron C.

I don't think so!

Stick with the Thai fish sauce.

bogus address

> Sure, , , ,Try Worchestershire sauce, , ,
> It is a direct dirivitive of Garum.

No such thing.

No such place.

There is a Worcestershire but there's no sauce named after it, despite
what a lot of Americans say.

There is a "Worcester sauce" (named after the town, not the county)
but it's got a lot more than garum in it.

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Olivers

bogus address muttered....

>> Sure, , , ,Try Worchestershire sauce, , ,
>> It is a direct dirivitive of Garum.

> No such thing.
>
> No such place.

O, ye of little perspectif...

Au contraire. Messrs Lea & Perrins (or their corporate masters) produce
vast tank cars full of L&P "Original Worcestershire Sauce" for we benighted
'Merkins, and claim to have produced the only original version since 1835.

> There is a Worcestershire but there's no sauce named after it, despite
> what a lot of Americans say.
>
> There is a "Worcester sauce" (named after the town, not the county)
> but it's got a lot more than garum in it.

We have more "Worcesters" than of ever the Scuppered H'aislers or the puir
near-sighted Scots could have ever dreamed, even resorting to naming a
cruiser and class of ships after the Massachusetts version thereof. We
have no Worcestershire except the sauce itself, produced in a half dozen
brandnames, none as good as L&P, and even once in dry form, "David Wade's
Worscetershire Powder", actually quite good as a seasoning for prime
rib(standing rib) roast.

The best brands contain two key ingredients....anchovies, the heritage of
the original based on a SEAsian fish sauce, nam pla or whatever, and
tamarind pulp, a fruit flavoring of the Indian subcontinent and of all
places, Mexico, another hint that the Manilla Galleon carried more than
gold and sailed in two directions.

I surmise that the sauce as we know it represents a British recipe and
commercial bottling to imitate or compare with a condiment(s) familiar to
locals who had served in India/SEAsia.

Worcestershire Sauce remains a popular US table condiment and more
important and necessary ingredient in the Cajun pantry, required for
several notable Cajun recipes. Why? That's a good question, for there's
no historical basis for its use....

TMO
Kate Dicey

bogus address wrote:

> > Sure, , , ,Try Worchestershire sauce, , ,
> > It is a direct dirivitive of Garum.

> No such thing.
>
> No such place.
>
> There is a Worcestershire but there's no sauce named after it, despite
> what a lot of Americans say.
>
> There is a "Worcester sauce" (named after the town, not the county)
> but it's got a lot more than garum in it.

On the bottle it says The Original & Genuine Lea & Perrins
Worcestershire sauce'.

That's 'Worcestershire' pronouncested 'Wooster'!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Kate Dicey

Olivers wrote:

> bogus address muttered....
>

> >> Sure, , , ,Try Worchestershire sauce, , ,
> >> It is a direct dirivitive of Garum.

> > No such thing.
> >
> > No such place.

> O, ye of little perspectif...
>
> Au contraire. Messrs Lea & Perrins (or their corporate masters) produce
> vast tank cars full of L&P "Original Worcestershire Sauce" for we benighted
> 'Merkins, and claim to have produced the only original version since 1835.
>

> > There is a Worcestershire but there's no sauce named after it, despite
> > what a lot of Americans say.
> >
> > There is a "Worcester sauce" (named after the town, not the county)
> > but it's got a lot more than garum in it.

> We have more "Worcesters" than of ever the Scuppered H'aislers or the puir
> near-sighted Scots could have ever dreamed, even resorting to naming a
> cruiser and class of ships after the Massachusetts version thereof. We
> have no Worcestershire except the sauce itself, produced in a half dozen
> brandnames, none as good as L&P, and even once in dry form, "David Wade's
> Worscetershire Powder", actually quite good as a seasoning for prime
> rib(standing rib) roast.
>
> The best brands contain two key ingredients....anchovies, the heritage of
> the original based on a SEAsian fish sauce, nam pla or whatever, and
> tamarind pulp, a fruit flavoring of the Indian subcontinent and of all
> places, Mexico, another hint that the Manilla Galleon carried more than
> gold and sailed in two directions.
>
> I surmise that the sauce as we know it represents a British recipe and
> commercial bottling to imitate or compare with a condiment(s) familiar to
> locals who had served in India/SEAsia.
>
> Worcestershire Sauce remains a popular US table condiment and more
> important and necessary ingredient in the Cajun pantry, required for
> several notable Cajun recipes. Why? That's a good question, for there's
> no historical basis for its use....
>
> TMO

Here's a map to help you locate Worcestershi
http://www.picturesofengland.com/map...nties-map.html

Worcester itself is an old historic city. However, WorcestershireSace
is made in Birmingham, which is a mess.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Kate Dicey

Olivers wrote:

> bogus address muttered....
>

> >> Sure, , , ,Try Worchestershire sauce, , ,
> >> It is a direct dirivitive of Garum.

> > No such thing.
> >
> > No such place.

> O, ye of little perspectif...
>
> Au contraire. Messrs Lea & Perrins (or their corporate masters) produce
> vast tank cars full of L&P "Original Worcestershire Sauce" for we benighted
> 'Merkins, and claim to have produced the only original version since 1835.
>

> > There is a Worcestershire but there's no sauce named after it, despite
> > what a lot of Americans say.
> >
> > There is a "Worcester sauce" (named after the town, not the county)
> > but it's got a lot more than garum in it.

> We have more "Worcesters" than of ever the Scuppered H'aislers or the puir
> near-sighted Scots could have ever dreamed, even resorting to naming a
> cruiser and class of ships after the Massachusetts version thereof. We
> have no Worcestershire except the sauce itself, produced in a half dozen
> brandnames, none as good as L&P, and even once in dry form, "David Wade's
> Worscetershire Powder", actually quite good as a seasoning for prime
> rib(standing rib) roast.
>
> The best brands contain two key ingredients....anchovies, the heritage of
> the original based on a SEAsian fish sauce, nam pla or whatever, and
> tamarind pulp, a fruit flavoring of the Indian subcontinent and of all
> places, Mexico, another hint that the Manilla Galleon carried more than
> gold and sailed in two directions.
>
> I surmise that the sauce as we know it represents a British recipe and
> commercial bottling to imitate or compare with a condiment(s) familiar to
> locals who had served in India/SEAsia.
>
> Worcestershire Sauce remains a popular US table condiment and more
> important and necessary ingredient in the Cajun pantry, required for
> several notable Cajun recipes. Why? That's a good question, for there's
> no historical basis for its use....
>
> TMO

Here's a map to help you locate Worcestershi
http://www.picturesofengland.com/map...nties-map.html

Worcester itself is an old historic city. However, Worcestershire Sauce
is made in Birmingham, which is a mess.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Olivers

Kate Dicey muttered....

> Here's a map to help you locate Worcestershi
> http://www.picturesofengland.com/map...nties-map.html
>
> Worcester itself is an old historic city.

Been there. Done that. And Worcester in Mass. too.

> However, WorcestershireSace
> is made in Birmingham, which is a mess.

I think ours is made in Fairleigh, New Jersey, likely a town neither fair
nor deserving to be called "leigh".

TMO