Old 26-03-2004, 06:09 AM
snudle

Default greek Foods

chick peas boiled all day with lots of garlic and some Mediterranean green
leaf cabbage. flat bread made with stone ground flour (with bits of stone
mixed in with the flour), with some cheese (something like Philadelphia
cream cheese again flavored with garlic. A thick wine with a slightly burnt
flavor mixed with water to thin it out and sweetened with honey.

Fish was a big one, as well as some sort of sauce.

"Olivers" wrote in message
Dr muttered....

ACTUALLY, , , , , ,
If you research the acient ROMAN foods, the will be much the same as
early GREEK food. The Romans captured Greeks, and made them slaves
anfd they cooked for the Romans, therefore, Roman food IS Greek food.

One memorable difference, apparently....or at least rumored.

Unusually, Roman soldiers on field duty apparently became quite restive

and
even mutinous when their meat ration was high, while their favorite and
best accepted ration were cooked grains, apparently a sort of multi-grain
cooked cereal/gruel, not conventional bread. Historians seem to have
established that "ordinary" Roamns ate little meat (and didn't seem to

want
much more). One could certainly assume that the historical "track" runs

on
through time to polenta and mammaglia (and that the original pastas could
well have been dried versions stabilized for portability and easy to
"reconstitute?).

Somehow, although I'm fond of Nuoc Mam, I rarely use it in my Cream of
Wheat or Oatmeal. Did the Romans use garum to flavor porridge?

TMO