Old 14-02-2004, 03:58 AM

Default Refrigeration?

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:48:46 -0500, Bob wrote:

And a lot of the taboos are wrong. There will be bacterial growth on a
hot day with chicken salad or egg salad, but that's not from the mayo.
It's from the other protein ingredients.

And possibly from the hands of the maker and / or server. If their
hands look clean, many people feel they are clean. They put the
chicken pieces in to fry and wipe the hands off with a towel and go
right to mixing or setting out the potato salad. We must remember the
child component, too. Let a kid get near a table with food being set
out and you're going to have hands that definitely aren't clean
grabbing at it.
--
rbc: vixen Fairly harmless

Hit reply to email. But strip out the 'invalid.'
Though I'm very slow to respond.
http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Old 14-02-2004, 04:04 AM

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:00:59 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

..

How often do you seal leftovers with lard? Or make chicken soup
immediately after preparing a meal of roast chicken?

I've never done the former, but sometimes do the latter. Not much
work involved. I put a big pot of water on the stove, drop all the
meat (and sometimes some of the vegetable) leftovers in it. Takes
very little longer than putting it in the trash and less time than
packaging it for the 'frig.

Old 14-02-2004, 04:10 AM

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:40:37 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

Sure. I grew up reading a lot of material about an ever-simmering
stock pot on the back of the stove. Gack! What *that* must have been
like after 3-4 days!

Delicious if done right. In fact my booya requires days of simmering.
I can do it in 48 hours if I rush it and never take it off the stove.

Old 14-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:55:46 GMT, David Friedman
wrote:

Frogleg wrote:

How often do you seal leftovers with lard? Or make chicken soup
immediately after preparing a meal of roast chicken?

In our case, the latter is pretty standard. It's true that there is
often leftover chicken meat that goes into the refrigerator--but the
carcass goes into the soup pot. Similarly, when we are doing a medieval
cooking workshop, suitable trimmings tend to go into the soup pot. That
part isn't a lot of trouble.

My thinking is much the same. While it is obviously *possible* to eat
reasonably well and without toxic effects in the absence of modern
domestic refrigeration, it seems to me it'd be a lot more trouble.
Maybe not to heave a chicken carcass into a pot of water after dinner,
but to have to replentish 'fresh' ingredients every day or 2, and make
sure each meal was either consumed immediately or within the same 1-2
day span.

A confit may be suitable for a northern European climate, but "cool
spots" are few and far between in summer in much of the US (and
south). I would be suspicious of chicken soup/broth that was left
unrefrigerated for even a few hours.

refrigeration of starter Railfanner Sourdough 16 22-03-2008 11:47 AM
Celebration & Refrigeration Travelin Man Beer 15 23-11-2006 07:15 PM
LG Refrigeration? Nartker Cooking Equipment 0 19-09-2005 10:21 PM
Refrigeration times Leo Bueno Wine 14 13-03-2005 11:37 AM
Does miso need refrigeration? werewolf Asian Cooking 10 24-05-2004 05:50 AM