ASmith1946

Default Oysters

Like so many other foods, oysters are supposedly aphrodesiacs (I've tried them,
and they did work for me, but perhaps some of you have different experiences?).

Is this a 20th century invention or historically were oysters considered
aphrodesiacs? Does this go back to the humoral system of medicine?

Andy Smith
Bob

ASmith1946 wrote:

> Like so many other foods, oysters are supposedly aphrodesiacs (I've tried them,
> and they did work for me, but perhaps some of you have different experiences?).
>
> Is this a 20th century invention or historically were oysters considered
> aphrodesiacs? Does this go back to the humoral system of medicine?

It goes back to the appearance of so many bivalves, mussels being the
most obvious. They resemble labia with a small protrusion peeking out
from between the "lips."

In early 20th century Sicilian vulgar street talk, the name for
mussels and vagina were the same. They were prized in my grandfather's
house for their aphrodisiac qualities (and never called by name when
the women were present). It is my personal belief that it's a
wonderful example and wonderful result of the placebo effect.

Pastorio

Frogleg

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 16:43:56 -0500, Bob > wrote:

>ASmith1946 wrote:
>
>> Like so many other foods, oysters are supposedly aphrodesiacs
>>
>> Is this a 20th century invention or historically were oysters considered
>> aphrodesiacs? Does this go back to the humoral system of medicine?

>It goes back to the appearance of so many bivalves, mussels being the
>most obvious. They resemble labia with a small protrusion peeking out
>from between the "lips."

So why isn't a banana considered an aphrodesiac? :-)

Modern food science tells us that certain aphrodesiac foods are simply
good nutrition -- I think it's zinc for oysters. OTOH, chocolate
*does* seem to have an endorphin effect. Still, "candy is dandy, but
liquor is quicker."
Bob

Frogleg wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 16:43:56 -0500, Bob > wrote:
>
>>ASmith1946 wrote:
>>
>>>Like so many other foods, oysters are supposedly aphrodesiacs
>>>
>>>Is this a 20th century invention or historically were oysters considered
>>>aphrodesiacs? Does this go back to the humoral system of medicine?

>>It goes back to the appearance of so many bivalves, mussels being the
>>most obvious. They resemble labia with a small protrusion peeking out
>>from between the "lips."

> So why isn't a banana considered an aphrodesiac? :-)

You don't have a VHS or DVD player, do you?

> Modern food science tells us that certain aphrodesiac foods are simply
> good nutrition -- I think it's zinc for oysters.

Presumably to galvanize one to action.

> OTOH, chocolate *does* seem to have an endorphin effect.

It's the mouthfeel...

> Still, "candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker."

Been my experience.

Pastorio

Charles Gifford

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Frogleg wrote:

considered

> >>It goes back to the appearance of so many bivalves, mussels being the
> >>most obvious. They resemble labia with a small protrusion peeking out
> >>from between the "lips."

> > So why isn't a banana considered an aphrodesiac? :-)

> You don't have a VHS or DVD player, do you?

I must admit Bob, that you have lost me here. What are you talking about?

Charlie

> > Modern food science tells us that certain aphrodesiac foods are simply
> > good nutrition -- I think it's zinc for oysters.

> Presumably to galvanize one to action.
>
> > OTOH, chocolate *does* seem to have an endorphin effect.

> It's the mouthfeel...
>
> > Still, "candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker."

> Been my experience.
>
> Pastorio

Bob

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Bob" > wrote in message
>
>>Frogleg wrote:

>> considered aphrodesiacs? Does this go back to the humoral system of medicine?

>>>So why isn't a banana considered an aphrodesiac? :-)

>>You don't have a VHS or DVD player, do you?

> I must admit Bob, that you have lost me here. What are you talking about?

<LOL> Sorry for the obscurity. It was a far-fetched reference to the
fact that there are various movies available for purchase and rental
that, in fact, feature bananas and other unlikely items in connection
with, shall we say, human sexuality. They're typically distinguishable
by the cheesy 70's light jazz backgrounds with occasional moans and
other "organic" sounds.

Or so I've been told. No, seriously...

Bob

> Charlie

>>>Modern food science tells us that certain aphrodesiac foods are simply
>>>good nutrition -- I think it's zinc for oysters.

>>Presumably to galvanize one to action.
>>
>>>OTOH, chocolate *does* seem to have an endorphin effect.

>>It's the mouthfeel...
>>
>>>Still, "candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker."

>>Been my experience.
>>
>>Pastorio

Lazarus Cooke

In article >, Bob >
wrote:

> <LOL> Sorry for the obscurity. It was a far-fetched reference to the
> fact that there are various movies available for purchase and rental
> that, in fact, feature bananas and other unlikely items in connection
> with, shall we say, human sexuality. They're typically distinguishable
> by the cheesy 70's light jazz backgrounds with occasional moans and
> other "organic" sounds.
>
> Or so I've been told. No, seriously...
>
> Bob

I realized my daughter had grown up when she told me that she had been
demonstrating the use of condoms on a bannana for freshmen at her
college. I still haven't recovered.

Remover the rock from the email address
Opinicus

"Lazarus Cooke" > wrote

> I realized my daughter had grown up when she told me that she had been
> demonstrating the use of condoms on a bannana for freshmen at her
> college. I still haven't recovered.

"Sometimes a banana is just a banana, Anna." (John Belushi as Sigmund Freud
to Larraine Newman as Anna Freud, Saturday Night Live 1975)

http://www.marypat.org/reviews/bananas.html

"Bananas: An American History"
http://tinyurl.com/36xq9

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Charles Gifford

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Charles Gifford wrote:

> >> considered aphrodesiacs? Does this go back to the humoral system of

medicine?

> >>You don't have a VHS or DVD player, do you?

> > I must admit Bob, that you have lost me here. What are you talking

about?

> <LOL> Sorry for the obscurity. It was a far-fetched reference to the
> fact that there are various movies available for purchase and rental
> that, in fact, feature bananas and other unlikely items in connection
> with, shall we say, human sexuality. They're typically distinguishable
> by the cheesy 70's light jazz backgrounds with occasional moans and
> other "organic" sounds.
>
> Or so I've been told. No, seriously...
>
> Bob

I see. I feel uneducated. <grin> Thanks for the explanation!'

Charlie