Keith Ginger

Default Mrs Beeton On-Line

Hey, this used to be a lively site. Perhaps me just "using" it was wrong!
THAT WILL CHANGE! For all of you out there who missed Mrs Beeton on-line,
here is a link:

http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au...ton/household/

It is BRILLIANT!

I want more interaction in this group, it is NOT all about history, although
that is important too.

Mail me, privately or through the group.

Kate Dicey

Keith Ginger wrote:

> Hey, this used to be a lively site. Perhaps me just "using" it was wrong!
> THAT WILL CHANGE! For all of you out there who missed Mrs Beeton on-line,
> here is a link:
>
> http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au...ton/household/
>
> It is BRILLIANT!
>
> I want more interaction in this group, it is NOT all about history, although
> that is important too.
>
> Mail me, privately or through the group.

Food history id good! Anyone out there tried to make one of her
dinners, using just her recipes?
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Arri London

Kate Dicey wrote:

> Keith Ginger wrote:
> >
> > Hey, this used to be a lively site. Perhaps me just "using" it was wrong!
> > THAT WILL CHANGE! For all of you out there who missed Mrs Beeton on-line,
> > here is a link:
> >
> > http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au...ton/household/
> >
> > It is BRILLIANT!
> >
> > I want more interaction in this group, it is NOT all about history, although
> > that is important too.
> >
> > Mail me, privately or through the group.

> Food history id good! Anyone out there tried to make one of her
> dinners, using just her recipes?
> --
> Kate XXXXXX

Wouldn't dream of it. Most of her dinners seem to involve having a cook
and/or servant. Have used her individual recipes on occasion.
Kate Dicey

Arri London wrote:

> Wouldn't dream of it. Most of her dinners seem to involve having a cook
> and/or servant. Have used her individual recipes on occasion.

You mean you haven't roped the whole samily in a slaves? You ole
softy! ;P

I've had fun doing roman and Mediaeval dinners, but have yet to try a
Victorian one...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Arri London

Kate Dicey wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> >

> > Wouldn't dream of it. Most of her dinners seem to involve having a cook
> > and/or servant. Have used her individual recipes on occasion.

> You mean you haven't roped the whole samily in a slaves? You ole
> softy! ;P
>
> I've had fun doing roman and Mediaeval dinners, but have yet to try a
> Victorian one...
> --
> Kate XXXXXX

LOL! If the rest of the family were better cooks and knew how to serve
properly, I wouldn't need to do it, now would I?

Used to do Mediaeval dinners as well when I dabbled in SCA, but haven't
done that since.

Frogleg

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:42:40 +0000, Kate Dicey
> wrote:

>Arri London wrote:

>> Wouldn't dream of it. Most of her dinners seem to involve having a cook
>> and/or servant. Have used her individual recipes on occasion.

>You mean you haven't roped the whole samily in a slaves? You ole
>softy! ;P
>
>I've had fun doing roman and Mediaeval dinners, but have yet to try a
>Victorian one...

Did you see 'The 1900 House'? The labor involved must have been
collosal.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/1900house/ho...hen/index.html

'The Manor House' was Edwardian, but even with a troop of servants,
couldn't have been easy to entertain.

http://www.pbs.org/manorhouse/treats/index.html

Geez, I love electricity -- light, refrigeration, vacuum cleaner,
washer, light.
Kate Dicey

Frogleg wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:42:40 +0000, Kate Dicey
> > wrote:
>
> >Arri London wrote:

> >> Wouldn't dream of it. Most of her dinners seem to involve having a cook
> >> and/or servant. Have used her individual recipes on occasion.

> >You mean you haven't roped the whole samily in a slaves? You ole
> >softy! ;P
> >
> >I've had fun doing roman and Mediaeval dinners, but have yet to try a
> >Victorian one...

> Did you see 'The 1900 House'? The labor involved must have been
> collosal.
>
> http://www.pbs.org/wnet/1900house/ho...hen/index.html
>
> 'The Manor House' was Edwardian, but even with a troop of servants,
> couldn't have been easy to entertain.
>
> http://www.pbs.org/manorhouse/treats/index.html
>
> Geez, I love electricity -- light, refrigeration, vacuum cleaner,
> washer, light.

The one I liked best recently was No 54, which took you all through the
life of a house and showed the different kitchens and food as well as
the rest of the house.