Warren Okuma

Default best historical reciepe

So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?

Shashay Doofray

"Warren Okuma" > wrote in message
> So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?

I once tried Larded Rabbit from a 1868 cookbook, it wasn't bad, but the
directions were a little hard to figure out.

SD

Kate Dicey

Warren Okuma wrote:

> So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?

Blamanger of Capons from Hieatt & Bultler's Medieval Cookery for Modern
Cooks. I have a lower fat version on my web site, done when the gall
bladder went up the creek! This has become a family favourite, and is
the only way my 9 YO son will eat white rice without protest!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Gretchen Beck

Two recipes, actually:

Emergency Biscuits from the Boston Cooking School Cookbook (facsimile, 1st
edition)

Mushrooms in Green Salsa from Platina's De Honesta Voluptate.
Reconstruction is my own. It's essentially mushrooms boiled, then fried in
olive oil with a bit of salt, then sauced with a grape vine leaf and garlic
sauce.

toodles, gretchen

--On Friday, December 19, 2003 2:55 PM -1000 Warren Okuma >
wrote:

> So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?

Warren Okuma

"Shashay Doofray" > wrote in message
> "Warren Okuma" > wrote in message
> > So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?
> >

> I once tried Larded Rabbit from a 1868 cookbook, it wasn't bad, but the
> directions were a little hard to figure out.

Sounds pretty neat. How did you cook it?

Joseph Carlin

I have a lot of favorites but the one I keep coming back to is Mrs. Abby
Fisher's recipe for Sweet Potato Pie. I teach the food history course at
the Cambridge School of Culinary Arts and I demonstrate this recipe because
it gives me an opportunity to unbundle it. Abby was the author of What Mrs.
Fisher knows about Old Southern Cooking. first published in 1881.
Considered the first cookbook by an African-American and a former slave.
Abby lived and worked in San Francisco which explains the orange taste. I
generally make one pie and make the following changes. I bake the sweet
potatoes, I use only two eggs and add 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup of milk.
Her Recipe follows:

Sweet Potato Pie

Two pounds of potatoes will make two pies. Boil the potatoes soft; peel and
mash fine through a cullender while hot; one tablespoonful of butter to be
mashed in with the potato. Take five eggs and beat the yelks and whites
separate and add one gill of milk; sweeten to taste; squeeze the juice of
one orange, ande grate one half of the peel into the liquid. One half
teaspoonful of salt in the potatoes. Have only one crust and thaty at the
bottom of the plate. Bake quickly.

Enjoy

Joe Carlin
Food Heritage Press
dba www.foodbooks.com

"Warren Okuma" > wrote in message
> So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?

Shashay Doofray

"Warren Okuma" > wrote in message

> "Shashay Doofray" > wrote in message
> > "Warren Okuma" > wrote in message
> > > So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?
> > >

> > I once tried Larded Rabbit from a 1868 cookbook, it wasn't bad, but the
> > directions were a little hard to figure out.
> >

> Sounds pretty neat. How did you cook it?

In a dutch oven in the fireplace (trying to be as authentic about it as
possible). It took six hours. Unfortunately, I put the turnips in too
early and they overcooked badly. But other than that it was quite tasty (if
you didn't think about it being a bunny).

When I get home to Missouri after the first of the year, I'll post the
recipe.

SD

Shashay Doofray

"Kate Dicey" > wrote in message
> Warren Okuma wrote:
> >
> > So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?

> Blamanger of Capons from Hieatt & Bultler's Medieval Cookery for Modern
> Cooks. I have a lower fat version on my web site, done when the gall
> bladder went up the creek! This has become a family favourite, and is
> the only way my 9 YO son will eat white rice without protest!
> --
> Kate XXXXXX
> Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
> http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
> Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Very cool website, Kate. Thanks, I've bookmarked you!

SD

Warren Okuma

"Shashay Doofray" > wrote in message
> "Warren Okuma" > wrote in message

> > > I once tried Larded Rabbit from a 1868 cookbook, it wasn't bad, but

the
> > > directions were a little hard to figure out.
> > >

> > Sounds pretty neat. How did you cook it?
> >

> In a dutch oven in the fireplace (trying to be as authentic about it as
> possible). It took six hours. Unfortunately, I put the turnips in too
> early and they overcooked badly. But other than that it was quite tasty

(if
> you didn't think about it being a bunny).
>
> When I get home to Missouri after the first of the year, I'll post the
> recipe.
>
> SD

I look forward to it. Thanks.

Warren Okuma

"Joseph Carlin" > wrote in message
> I have a lot of favorites but the one I keep coming back to is Mrs. Abby
> Fisher's recipe for Sweet Potato Pie. I teach the food history course at
> the Cambridge School of Culinary Arts and I demonstrate this recipe

because
> it gives me an opportunity to unbundle it. Abby was the author of What

Mrs.
> Fisher knows about Old Southern Cooking. first published in 1881.
> Considered the first cookbook by an African-American and a former slave.
> Abby lived and worked in San Francisco which explains the orange taste. I
> generally make one pie and make the following changes. I bake the sweet
> potatoes, I use only two eggs and add 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup of milk.
> Her Recipe follows:
>
> Sweet Potato Pie
>
> Two pounds of potatoes will make two pies. Boil the potatoes soft; peel

and
> mash fine through a cullender while hot; one tablespoonful of butter to be
> mashed in with the potato. Take five eggs and beat the yelks and whites
> separate and add one gill of milk; sweeten to taste; squeeze the juice of
> one orange, ande grate one half of the peel into the liquid. One half
> teaspoonful of salt in the potatoes. Have only one crust and thaty at the
> bottom of the plate. Bake quickly.
>
> Enjoy

Thanks.

Jeff Berry

> So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?

There are a number that get made over and over for various feasts
and events, and a few that actually make it onto my home table with
some regularity.

The one that shows up the most often is probably, "To Stew a Rump
of Beef" from Digbie.
(the whole article is at http://www.panix.com/~nexus/cooking/cc10.shtml)

From Kenelme Digbie
TO STEW A RUMP OF BEEF
"Take a rump of Beef, break all the bones; season it with Pepper and Salt to
your liking; Take three or four Nutmegs, and a
quantity of Mace, beat them grossly; Then take a bunch of very good sweet
herbs, and good Onion cut in quarters. or
Garlicke, as you like it. Put in half a pint of White-wine Vinegar, and one
Pint of good Claret, one handful of Sugar; and a
piece or two of beef Suet or Butter: shred some Cabbage under and over, and
scrape in a pound of good old Cheese. Put all
these into an earthen pot, and let it stand in an oven with brown-bread
four or five hours; but let the pot be covered close
with paste."

To Stew a Rump of Beef, after Kenelme Digbie

a three pound boneless rump roast 1/2 pint of red wine (or more)
a head of green cabbage 1/4 pint of white vinegar (or more)
salt 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp nutmeg
pepper 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp mace
1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp each of basil a bay leaf
rosemary 1/8 to 1/4 cup sugar
savory 1/2 pound cheddar cheese
thyme a clove or two of garlic
mint a couple of Tb of butter
marjoram

Shredd the cabbage a bit with a knife and put half of it in the pot. Sprinkle
the roast liberally on all sides with salt and
pepper and put it on the cabbage. Combine the wine and vinegar and the mace,
nutmeg, garlic, sugar and herbs (adjust them
to your own taste). Pour over the roast. If the liquid doesn't come up maybe a
quarter of the way or more on the roast, add
more wine and vinegar in the same ratio.

Dab the butter on top. Grate the cheddar cheese on and around the roast.
Add the rest of the cabbage.

Make a paste out of flour and either water, egg or both. Seal the lid of your
pot with this paste. Cook at 350 F for at least
four hours. Longer won't hurt it.

When it comes out it should be fork tender and with a nice mellow flavor.

Jeff Berry ,
Alexandre Lerot d'Avigne Whyt Whey, East ( >|
http://www.panix.com/~nexus ) /|
"You're a notch and I'm a legend"-------Alice Cooper
"I don't need TV when I've got T-Rex"------Mott the Hoople
Dr Pepper

Just a minor point, , , , , , , ,
Even when asking for the personal history of Gamndma or Grandpa, their
directions are ususlly somewhat vague, , , It's like "Well,,, we
lived down the street from the brown cow in the open field, right
there at the crossroads"
Thats why its important to ask questions while they are still alive,
and try to quantify them.
That's why the old recipes are so darn hard to follow!
nyuk nyuk nyuk, , , , ,

Ron C.

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:00:47 -0600, "Shashay Doofray"
> wrote:

>"Warren Okuma" > wrote in message
>> So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?
>>

>I once tried Larded Rabbit from a 1868 cookbook, it wasn't bad, but the
>directions were a little hard to figure out.
>
>SD

Warren Okuma

"Jeff Berry" > wrote in message
> > So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?

> There are a number that get made over and over for various feasts
> and events, and a few that actually make it onto my home table with
> some regularity.
>
> The one that shows up the most often is probably, "To Stew a Rump
> of Beef" from Digbie.
> (the whole article is at http://www.panix.com/~nexus/cooking/cc10.shtml)
>
> From Kenelme Digbie
> TO STEW A RUMP OF BEEF
> "Take a rump of Beef, break all the bones; season it with Pepper and Salt

> your liking; Take three or four Nutmegs, and a
> quantity of Mace, beat them grossly; Then take a bunch of very good sweet
> herbs, and good Onion cut in quarters. or
> Garlicke, as you like it. Put in half a pint of White-wine Vinegar, and

one
> Pint of good Claret, one handful of Sugar; and a
> piece or two of beef Suet or Butter: shred some Cabbage under and over,

and
> scrape in a pound of good old Cheese. Put all
> these into an earthen pot, and let it stand in an oven with brown-bread
> four or five hours; but let the pot be covered close
> with paste."
>
> To Stew a Rump of Beef, after Kenelme Digbie
>
> a three pound boneless rump roast 1/2 pint of red wine (or more)
> a head of green cabbage 1/4 pint of white vinegar (or

more)
> salt 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp nutmeg
> pepper 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp mace
> 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp each of basil a bay leaf
> rosemary 1/8 to 1/4 cup sugar
> savory 1/2 pound cheddar cheese
> thyme a clove or two of garlic
> mint a couple of Tb of butter
> marjoram
>
> Shredd the cabbage a bit with a knife and put half of it in the pot.

Sprinkle
> the roast liberally on all sides with salt and
> pepper and put it on the cabbage. Combine the wine and vinegar and the

mace,
> nutmeg, garlic, sugar and herbs (adjust them
> to your own taste). Pour over the roast. If the liquid doesn't come up

maybe a
> quarter of the way or more on the roast, add
> more wine and vinegar in the same ratio.
>
> Dab the butter on top. Grate the cheddar cheese on and around the roast.
> Add the rest of the cabbage.
>

> Make a paste out of flour and either water, egg or both. Seal the lid of

your
> pot with this paste. Cook at 350 F for at least
> four hours. Longer won't hurt it.
>
> When it comes out it should be fork tender and with a nice mellow flavor.

That sound pretty good. Thanks.

Kate Dicey

Shashay Doofray wrote:

> "Kate Dicey" > wrote in message
> > Warren Okuma wrote:
> > >
> > > So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?

> > Blamanger of Capons from Hieatt & Bultler's Medieval Cookery for Modern
> > Cooks. I have a lower fat version on my web site, done when the gall
> > bladder went up the creek! This has become a family favourite, and is
> > the only way my 9 YO son will eat white rice without protest!
> > --
> > Kate XXXXXX
> > Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
> > http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
> > Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

> Very cool website, Kate. Thanks, I've bookmarked you!
>
> SD

Glad you like it! Sorry for the delay in answering - the gall bladder
is now gone!
--
Kate XXXXXX (Insomnia rules KO!)
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Forrest

I found this site while looking for reindeer meat recipes (please, do
not ask) the other day-

The Axe-Woodsman Bacon-Grease Bear-Paw Cookbook
<http://www.visi.com/~wick/axe/cookbook.html>

Although at first some recipes may seem strange (braised bear paws???)
I am willing to bet that a lot of these have historical (if not
hysterical) antecedents. A number of them actually sound
appetizing...

and a happy Holiday on broiled starling-breast toast to you all!

-Forrest
Chief Cook & Bottle Washer@JoslinHallRareBooks

Warren Okuma

"Forrest" > wrote in message
> I found this site while looking for reindeer meat recipes (please, do
> not ask) the other day-
>
> The Axe-Woodsman Bacon-Grease Bear-Paw Cookbook
> <http://www.visi.com/~wick/axe/cookbook.html>
>
> Although at first some recipes may seem strange (braised bear paws???)
> I am willing to bet that a lot of these have historical (if not
> hysterical) antecedents. A number of them actually sound
> appetizing...
>
> and a happy Holiday on broiled starling-breast toast to you all!

Wow.

Mark Zanger

Default best historical reciepe -- hermit cookies

In writing my American History Cookbook, I especially enjoyed the early American cakes with lots of cream and butter. Eliza Leslie's 1827 Lafayette Gingerbread is delicious, and so is her pound cake from the same book, which I used to explicate a manuscript recipe for "Preble Cake" of 1832.

The spiced ketchups in Andy Smith's Pure Ketchup are very tasty.

I also made the 18th century chicken fricassee in "Martha Washington's Book of Cookery," which Martha probably never made, and it is delicious, but so rich you can only eat a little as a side dish to plainer fare, which is how it was originally eaten.

The first historical recipe I ever made was Lydia Maria Child's recipe for baked beans (no molasses or sugar) and I often come back to that one.

The 1877 hermit cookies in my book are very good, also. They are white spice cookies with chopped raisins.

Yield: About 100 cookies.1 cup salted butter, and some to grease baking sheets2 cups sugar1 cup raisins3 medium eggs (or two jumbo eggs)1/2 teaspoon baking soda3 tablespoons whole milk1 rounded teaspoon nutmeg1 rounded teaspoon cloves1 rounded teaspoon cinnamon6 cups flourEquipment: rolling pin and board, round cookie cutter or glass tumbler, food processor, two or more baking sheets, standing mixer or pastry blender.1. Remove butter from refrigerator an hour before starting.2. Chop raisins in a food processor by pulsing briefly. Do not grind to a paste.3. Cream together butter and sugar in food processor, or with a standing mixer, or with a pastry blender or a large fork.4. Mix flour with spices. Grease baking sheets and dust with flour.5. Dissolve baking soda in milk.6. Beat eggs until creamy and light.7. Work eggs into butter-sugar mixture, than add flour, raisins, and milk mixture in turns.8. Work into a stiff dough but do not knead. You may need a little more milk.9. When dough sticks together well enough to roll, flour the board and rolling pin.10. "Roll about one-quarter of an inch thick and cut with a round cake cutter." Arrange cookies on baking sheets.11. Gather scraps and roll out with the next portion of dough until all the dough is used up. (You can also refrigerate or freeze dough and bake the rest another day.)12. Bake about 12 minutes at 375 degrees.

--
-Mark H. Zanger
author, The American History Cookbook, The American Ethnic Cookbook for Students

"Warren Okuma" > wrote in message ...
> So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?

Wayne Boatwright

"Mark Zanger" > wrote in

> In writing my American History Cookbook, I especially enjoyed the
> early American cakes with lots of cream and butter. Eliza Leslie's
> 1827 Lafayette Gingerbread is delicious, and so is her pound cake from
> the same book, which I used to explicate a manuscript recipe for
> "Preble Cake" of 1832.
>
> The spiced ketchups in Andy Smith's Pure Ketchup are very tasty.
>
> I also made the 18th century chicken fricassee in "Martha Washington's
> Book of Cookery," which Martha probably never made, and it is
> delicious, but so rich you can only eat a little as a side dish to
> plainer fare, which is how it was originally eaten.

I have made this several times. It really is delicious but, as you said,
so rich that one cannot make a meal on it.

> The first historical recipe I ever made was Lydia Maria Child's recipe
> for baked beans (no molasses or sugar) and I often come back to that
> one.

Curious, how does one make baked beans with neither molasses nor sugar?
Sounds interesting.

> The 1877 hermit cookies in my book are very good, also. They are white
> spice cookies with chopped raisins.
>
> Yield: About 100 cookies.1 cup salted butter, and some to grease
> baking sheets2 cups sugar1 cup raisins3 medium eggs (or two jumbo
> eggs)1/2 teaspoon baking soda3 tablespoons whole milk1 rounded
> teaspoon nutmeg1 rounded teaspoon cloves1 rounded teaspoon cinnamon6
> cups flourEquipment: rolling pin and board, round cookie cutter or
> glass tumbler, food processor, two or more baking sheets, standing
> mixer or pastry blender.1. Remove butter from refrigerator an hour
> before starting.2. Chop raisins in a food processor by pulsing
> briefly. Do not grind to a paste.3. Cream together butter and sugar
> in food processor, or with a standing mixer, or with a pastry blender
> or a large fork.4. Mix flour with spices. Grease baking sheets and
> dust with flour.5. Dissolve baking soda in milk.6. Beat eggs until
> creamy and light.7. Work eggs into butter-sugar mixture, than add
> flour, raisins, and milk mixture in turns.8. Work into a stiff dough
> but do not knead. You may need a little more milk.9. When dough
> sticks together well enough to roll, flour the board and rolling
> pin.10. "Roll about one-quarter of an inch thick and
> cut with a round cake cutter." Arrange cookies on baking sheets.11.
> Gather scraps and roll out with the next portion of dough
> until all the dough is used up. (You can also refrigerate or freeze
> dough and bake the rest another day.)12. Bake about 12
> minutes at 375 degrees.

I must try these. They are rather similar to a recipe I got from the
mother of a girl I dated in highschool, although those Hermits also
contained nuts and were baked as a drop cookie. The remaining ingredient
list is almost identical.

Cheers,
Wayne
Roving Mouse

"Warren Okuma" > wrote in news:vu76u9neir6u30
@corp.supernews.com:

> So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?

This simple but delicious recipe for a New England custard:

American Cookery by Amelia Simmons (1796)
CUSTARDS

Baked Custard.

Four eggs beat and put to one quart cream, sweetened to your taste, half a
nutmeg, and a little cinnamon; bake.

(bake until lightly browned on top, I might add..)

Roving Mouse

--

For nice links, visit my blog:
http://extremewebsurfs.blogspot.com
Warren Okuma

"Roving Mouse" > wrote in message
> "Warren Okuma" > wrote in news:vu76u9neir6u30
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
> > So what is your favorite historical recipe that you tried?
> >

> This simple but delicious recipe for a New England custard:
>
> American Cookery by Amelia Simmons (1796)
> CUSTARDS
>

> Baked Custard.
>

> Four eggs beat and put to one quart cream, sweetened to your taste, half

> nutmeg, and a little cinnamon; bake.
>

> (bake until lightly browned on top, I might add..)
>
> Roving Mouse

Must... buy... cream...

Thanks!