FoodBanter.com

-   Historic (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/)
-   -   Ancient barbarian meals (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/8116-ancient-barbarian-meals.html)

Adam Ben Nalois 18-12-2003 06:43 AM

Ancient barbarian meals

You know, after a hard day of hacking, fighting,chopping off heads,
strong warriors like Conan the Barbarian needed something good to eat.

So what are your favourite ancient barbarian meals?

Opinicus 18-12-2003 10:18 AM

Ancient barbarian meals

Adam Ben Nalois > said:

> So what are your favourite ancient barbarian meals?

Roast rump of troll.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Kate Dicey 18-12-2003 02:09 PM

Ancient barbarian meals

Adam Ben Nalois wrote:

> You know, after a hard day of hacking, fighting,chopping off heads,
> strong warriors like Conan the Barbarian needed something good to eat.
>
> So what are your favourite ancient barbarian meals?

Roast wild boar, and venison.

We have venison ordered for Christmas...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Olivers 18-12-2003 02:59 PM

Ancient barbarian meals

Kate Dicey muttered....

> Adam Ben Nalois wrote:
>>
>> You know, after a hard day of hacking, fighting,chopping off heads,
>> strong warriors like Conan the Barbarian needed something good to eat.
>>
>> So what are your favourite ancient barbarian meals?

> Roast wild boar, and venison.
>
> We have venison ordered for Christmas...

The venison and the wild boar (in this case, feral hawg, close enough for
government work, tushes and a bristly ridgeback) will come from my own guns
and larder. Slow-Smoked ham, "Boar" & venison sausage (w/a little added
pork fat, the "boar" having little) and venison backstrap wrapped in bacon
and grilled over coals, served a tart sauce of red currants, "pickled"
shrimp and some smoked mackerel (a gift), Tuscan white beans, grilled
vegetables, and an apricot/almond tart at a family Christmas Eve party. My
baby sister, the OB/Gyn, is handling the wine list, and I suspect that this
year will be "German", but the result will not be very barabaric.

On the other hand, the actual Christmas dinner will be two "iddle bitty
baby" wild hogs, barely more than suckling piglets, roasted whole (avec
l'apple). Tell the barbarians that a .357's better than a boar spear for
the little ones.

Kate Dicey 18-12-2003 06:11 PM

Ancient barbarian meals

Olivers wrote:

> Kate Dicey muttered....
>
> > Adam Ben Nalois wrote:
> >>
> >> You know, after a hard day of hacking, fighting,chopping off heads,
> >> strong warriors like Conan the Barbarian needed something good to eat.
> >>
> >> So what are your favourite ancient barbarian meals?

> > Roast wild boar, and venison.
> >
> > We have venison ordered for Christmas...

> The venison and the wild boar (in this case, feral hawg, close enough for
> government work, tushes and a bristly ridgeback) will come from my own guns
> and larder. Slow-Smoked ham, "Boar" & venison sausage (w/a little added
> pork fat, the "boar" having little) and venison backstrap wrapped in bacon
> and grilled over coals, served a tart sauce of red currants, "pickled"
> shrimp and some smoked mackerel (a gift), Tuscan white beans, grilled
> vegetables, and an apricot/almond tart at a family Christmas Eve party. My
> baby sister, the OB/Gyn, is handling the wine list, and I suspect that this
> year will be "German", but the result will not be very barabaric.
>
> On the other hand, the actual Christmas dinner will be two "iddle bitty
> baby" wild hogs, barely more than suckling piglets, roasted whole (avec
> l'apple). Tell the barbarians that a .357's better than a boar spear for
> the little ones.

Mmmmmm.... Yummm..... MUCH better than Turkey!

Michel Boucher 20-01-2004 05:12 PM

Ancient barbarian meals

(Adam Ben Nalois) wrote in
om:

> You know, after a hard day of hacking, fighting,chopping off
> heads, strong warriors like Conan the Barbarian needed something
> good to eat.
>
> So what are your favourite ancient barbarian meals?

The characters in Astérix preferred roast boar.

--
"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

Opinicus 20-01-2004 06:47 PM

Ancient barbarian meals

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message

> The characters in Astérix preferred roast boar.

Except that in Britain the boar was boiled and served in mint sauce.

The Britons also drank their beer "warmed".

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Michel Boucher 20-01-2004 08:19 PM

Ancient barbarian meals

"Opinicus" > wrote in
:

> "Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
>
>> The characters in Astérix preferred roast boar.

> Except that in Britain the boar was boiled and served in mint sauce.

Yes, poor beast.

> The Britons also drank their beer "warmed".

The infamous cervoise tiède...actually, I drank that in Spain when I
lived there in 1967.

Bryan J. Maloney 21-01-2004 02:06 PM

Ancient barbarian meals

"Opinicus" > nattered on
:

> "Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
>
>> The characters in Astérix preferred roast boar.

> Except that in Britain the boar was boiled and served in mint sauce.

You mean, on purpose?

JE Anderson 22-01-2004 12:21 AM

Ancient barbarian meals

"Bryan J. Maloney" > wrote in message
93.32...
> "Opinicus" > nattered on
> :
>
> > "Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> >
> >> The characters in Astérix preferred roast boar.

> > Except that in Britain the boar was boiled and served in mint sauce.

> You mean, on purpose?

Only if his recitation of his lineage went on for too long...

Janet