Shashay Doofray

Default Raw milk

I live in Rural Missouri (not too far from Branson (ever hear of it?))
Anyway, I have looked high and low for a source for raw milk. At the very
least unhomogonated milk, but preferably raw.

Most of the dairies I have contacted have their milk contracted out to
somebody and cannot sell any of their milk on the side. To do so (according
to them) would cause them to breach their contract and they could be sued.
*sigh*. I don't know anybody who has one or two fresh cows, so that idea
won't work either.

Ok, I know you all want to know..... "Why do you want raw milk?" Well, at
the risk of getting a lot of negative feedback - I am looking for it for
several reasons - making butter, making cheese, etc., etc., etc., And YES I
know you don't have to have raw milk to do those things. And yes I know the
whole "reason" why they don't sell raw milk, brucelosis, etc., etc., etc.
No sermons please.

I am just wondering if anybody out there just might know a source for the
stuff in this general geographic region (North to Jefferson City - South to
Little Rock, East to Memphis and West to Tulsa (well Tulsa is technically
SW). Or in the alternative how a person goes about locating somebody who is
willing to sell you some raw milk - or at least un homoginated?

TIA

SD

--
Be Careful What You Wish For.

Warren Okuma

"Shashay Doofray" > wrote in message
> I live in Rural Missouri (not too far from Branson (ever hear of it?))
> Anyway, I have looked high and low for a source for raw milk. At the very
> least unhomogonated milk, but preferably raw.
>
> Most of the dairies I have contacted have their milk contracted out to
> somebody and cannot sell any of their milk on the side. To do so

(according
> to them) would cause them to breach their contract and they could be sued.
> *sigh*. I don't know anybody who has one or two fresh cows, so that idea
> won't work either.
>
> Ok, I know you all want to know..... "Why do you want raw milk?" Well, at
> the risk of getting a lot of negative feedback - I am looking for it for
> several reasons - making butter, making cheese, etc., etc., etc., And YES

> know you don't have to have raw milk to do those things. And yes I know

the
> whole "reason" why they don't sell raw milk, brucelosis, etc., etc., etc.
> No sermons please.
>
> I am just wondering if anybody out there just might know a source for the
> stuff in this general geographic region (North to Jefferson City - South

> Little Rock, East to Memphis and West to Tulsa (well Tulsa is technically
> SW). Or in the alternative how a person goes about locating somebody who

is
> willing to sell you some raw milk - or at least un homoginated?

Ask a farmer if you can buy a "share" in his/her farm and take your
"dividends" in raw milk.

Frogleg

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 03:16:01 -0600, "Shashay Doofray"
> wrote:

>I live in Rural Missouri (not too far from Branson (ever hear of it?))
>Anyway, I have looked high and low for a source for raw milk. At the very
>least unhomogonated milk, but preferably raw.

As you probably know, homogenization and pasteurazation are completely
different processes.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question147.htm

I'm guessing if you want to make butter and cheese, you'd like to be
able to separate the cream. You *may* be able to find non-homogenized
milk, but simply buying cream might be easier.

Raw (unpasteurized) milk cannot be legally sold in many US states. I'm
not clear in USDA regs. I once obtained a gallon of raw goats' milk
from a hobbiest, but the transaction was a 'gift' and I returned a
'gift' of goat chow, not $$. People raising dairy animals can get into
*big* trouble for selling unpasteurized milk.

You might check:

http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/2csr/2csr.asp

for Missouri's food regs. There is a PDF file that seems to indicate
some raw milk sale is legal in your state. Call your local extension
office and see if they can suggest sources.
Shashay Doofray

> http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/2csr/2csr.asp
>
> for Missouri's food regs. There is a PDF file that seems to indicate
> some raw milk sale is legal in your state. Call your local extension
> office and see if they can suggest sources.

Great idea. Thanks for the input.

SD

GMAJaskol

raw milk is illegal to sell.
I grew up in farm country and our nieghbors gave us raw milk,
course we alway dropped a $5 bill on the way out the door.
(wink wink)
later we got our own cow and had it tested so we could consume our own milk
legally

Charles Gifford

"GMAJaskol" > wrote in message
> raw milk is illegal to sell.
> I grew up in farm country and our nieghbors gave us raw milk,
> course we alway dropped a $5 bill on the way out the door.
> (wink wink)
> later we got our own cow and had it tested so we could consume our own

milk
> legally

You do not mention where you are. It is not illegal everywhere. Here in
California raw milk is perfectly legal - both raw cow and raw goat milk as
long as it is from a certified dairy. It is available in many markets here.

Charlie

Kate Dicey

GMAJaskol wrote:

> raw milk is illegal to sell.
> I grew up in farm country and our nieghbors gave us raw milk,
> course we alway dropped a $5 bill on the way out the door.
> (wink wink)
> later we got our own cow and had it tested so we could consume our own milk
> legally

Not here in the UK it isn't! Just has to be free of TB, brucilosis
(sp?), and other cow carried diseases...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Lis

Try a natural food store. Here in PA we CAN buy raw milk from the farm, but
it's hard to find a farmer to cooperate. In a pinch for cheese and butter,
etc., I have added cream to whole pasteurized "store bought" milk. The
result is good, but not as good as with raw milk. Definately better than
without the cream added back in, though. Store milk takes much longer to
curd, btw.

Lis

"Shashay Doofray" > wrote in message
> I live in Rural Missouri (not too far from Branson (ever hear of it?))
> Anyway, I have looked high and low for a source for raw milk. At the very
> least unhomogonated milk, but preferably raw.
>
> Most of the dairies I have contacted have their milk contracted out to
> somebody and cannot sell any of their milk on the side. To do so

(according
> to them) would cause them to breach their contract and they could be sued.
> *sigh*. I don't know anybody who has one or two fresh cows, so that idea
> won't work either.
>
> Ok, I know you all want to know..... "Why do you want raw milk?" Well, at
> the risk of getting a lot of negative feedback - I am looking for it for
> several reasons - making butter, making cheese, etc., etc., etc., And YES

> know you don't have to have raw milk to do those things. And yes I know

the
> whole "reason" why they don't sell raw milk, brucelosis, etc., etc., etc.
> No sermons please.
>
> I am just wondering if anybody out there just might know a source for the
> stuff in this general geographic region (North to Jefferson City - South

> Little Rock, East to Memphis and West to Tulsa (well Tulsa is technically
> SW). Or in the alternative how a person goes about locating somebody who

is
> willing to sell you some raw milk - or at least un homoginated?
>
> TIA
>
> SD
>
> --
> Be Careful What You Wish For.

Solveig Throndardottir

Hi.

Washington State used to allow dairy's with "certified herds" to sell
unpasturized unhomoginized milk. There used to be such a dairy in
Ellensburg, Washington. The milk was yummy. I do not know whether this
practice is still legal in Washington. Regardless, the dairy was not
much more than a milk shed with a refrigerator case. The cows walked in
one side of the building and people the other. It occurs to me that if
raw milk is still legal, that there might be a market for micro dairies
the same way that there is a market for microbreweries. Of course, you
would want to make sure that your cows have decent fodder. I believe
that unhomoginized is still commercially available in Boston. However, I
do not recall the name of the dairy. However, as I recall, they were
still delivering milk to residential customers in Dorchester. Sorry not
to be of much help. I just like raw milk.

--

Your Humble Servant
Solveig Throndardottir