Bob Pastorio

Default Bel cream maker

This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
looking for one or more to buy or trade.

They were made in the UK and I can't find any info on the company and
have seen a reference that says they're out of business.

Anybody know anything about the maker or the product?

TIA.

Pastorio

Wayne Boatwright

Bob Pastorio > wrote in message >...
> This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
> looking for one or more to buy or trade.
>
> They were made in the UK and I can't find any info on the company and
> have seen a reference that says they're out of business.
>
> Anybody know anything about the maker or the product?
>
> TIA.
>
> Pastorio

Bob,

I wish I could help. I bought one of these back in the late 1970s. I
tried numerous times, but was never able to get it to work properly.
Somewhere along the line I either gave it away or threw it out.

It's a great concept. Did you ever use one before? Did it work?

Sorry...
Wayne
Bob Pastorio

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Bob Pastorio > wrote in message >...
>
>>This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream. I'm
>>looking for one or more to buy or trade.
>>
>>They were made in the UK and I can't find any info on the company and
>>have seen a reference that says they're out of business.
>>
>>Anybody know anything about the maker or the product?
>>
>>TIA.
>>
>>Pastorio

> Bob,
>
> I wish I could help. I bought one of these back in the late 1970s. I
> tried numerous times, but was never able to get it to work properly.
> Somewhere along the line I either gave it away or threw it out.
>
> It's a great concept. Did you ever use one before? Did it work?
>
> Sorry...
> Wayne

<G> I had one and couldn't seem to get it to work, either. The
principle seems simple enough, put the milk and butter under pressure
and squirt them together through a small hole and they'll emulsify.
Should work.

I wonder if there's any other sort of device to do the same thing.

Pastorio

Bryan J. Maloney

Bob Pastorio > nattered on
:

> I wonder if there's any other sort of device to do the same thing.

It's called a "cow", although this device can start with grass.
Kate Dicey

Bob Pastorio wrote:

> I wonder if there's any other sort of device to do the same thing.
>
> Pastorio

Yup - a fork! Just cream the butter softened with the milk, adding it a
little at a time... Takes a while, and works best with a little icing
sugar added. I've done it, but its a pain in the bum as it takes a
while. It's ok for slopping on apple crumble, but you won't get
anything whipable to shove in a cake.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Bob Pastorio

Bryan J. Maloney wrote:

> Bob Pastorio > nattered on
> :
>
>>I wonder if there's any other sort of device to do the same thing.

> It's called a "cow", although this device can start with grass.

Wow. Is that, like, a new thing? Who makes them? I looked on Ebay and
they don't seem to have any?

What a cool idea. Grass in, cream out. What will they think of next?

Pastorio

Opinicus

"Bob Pastorio" > wrote in message
> Bryan J. Maloney wrote:
>
> > Bob Pastorio > nattered on
> > :
> >
> >>I wonder if there's any other sort of device to do the same thing.

> > It's called a "cow", although this device can start with grass.

> Wow. Is that, like, a new thing? Who makes them? I looked on Ebay and
> they don't seem to have any?
>
> What a cool idea. Grass in, cream out. What will they think of next?
>
> Pastorio

Opinicus

Bob Pastorio > said:

> What a cool idea. Grass in, cream out. What will they think of next?

Well actually it's "Grass in, Milk out". Then you have to separate the
cream.

How DO they separate the cream?

--
Bob, who hates it when you double-click on a message and it automatically
gets sent out as a reply

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://kanyak.com

Bob Pastorio

Opinicus wrote:

> Bob Pastorio > said:
>
>>What a cool idea. Grass in, cream out. What will they think of next?

> Well actually it's "Grass in, Milk out". Then you have to separate the
> cream.
>
> How DO they separate the cream?

I looked in a book and saw a picture of "cow." They appear to have
separate faucets for the milk and cream, although it didn't
specifically mention that. It would certainly be logical if they did.
Why else have so many outlets?

I think they separate the milk and cream by putting them into
different bottles and storing them in different locations. Just a guess.

Pastorio

Kate Dicey

Bob Pastorio wrote:

> Opinicus wrote:
>
> > Bob Pastorio > said:
> >
> >>What a cool idea. Grass in, cream out. What will they think of next?

> > Well actually it's "Grass in, Milk out". Then you have to separate the
> > cream.
> >
> > How DO they separate the cream?

> I looked in a book and saw a picture of "cow." They appear to have
> separate faucets for the milk and cream, although it didn't
> specifically mention that. It would certainly be logical if they did.
> Why else have so many outlets?
>
> I think they separate the milk and cream by putting them into
> different bottles and storing them in different locations. Just a guess.
>
> Pastorio

Hehehehehe!

The cream is fattier and floats on top of the milk: it's then skimmed
off. You need to let it stand for a while for separation to happen.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

bogus address

Bob Pastorio > writes:
> This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream.
> I'm looking for one or more to buy or trade.

Is this for 1970s food re-enactments? Soggy de-emulsifying trifle
by candlelight to commemorate the Three-Day Week?

They turn up in car boot sales occasionally. I'll keep an eye out
for one, and maybe any of the other British readers of this group
who regularly frequent car boot sales could do the same. Do you
need a Green Lady or Crying Boy picture to go with it?

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Bryan J. Maloney

"Opinicus" > nattered on
:

> Bob Pastorio > said:
>
>> What a cool idea. Grass in, cream out. What will they think of next?

> Well actually it's "Grass in, Milk out". Then you have to separate the
> cream.
>
> How DO they separate the cream?

A centrifuge is used, and this method has been used for quite a long time.
When I was a kid I saw an old-timer demonstrating foot-treadle-powered
rotary skimmer.
Kate Dicey

bogus address wrote:

> Bob Pastorio > writes:
> > This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream.
> > I'm looking for one or more to buy or trade.

> Is this for 1970s food re-enactments? Soggy de-emulsifying trifle
> by candlelight to commemorate the Three-Day Week?
>
> They turn up in car boot sales occasionally. I'll keep an eye out
> for one, and maybe any of the other British readers of this group
> who regularly frequent car boot sales could do the same. Do you
> need a Green Lady or Crying Boy picture to go with it?

No - gotta be that ghastly swan thing that was immortalized in Abigail's
Party! ;D
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
JE Anderson

"Bob Pastorio" > wrote in message
> Opinicus wrote:
>
> > Bob Pastorio > said:
> >
> >>What a cool idea. Grass in, cream out. What will they think of next?

> > Well actually it's "Grass in, Milk out". Then you have to separate the
> > cream.
> >
> > How DO they separate the cream?

> I looked in a book and saw a picture of "cow." They appear to have
> separate faucets for the milk and cream, although it didn't
> specifically mention that. It would certainly be logical if they did.
> Why else have so many outlets?
>
> I think they separate the milk and cream by putting them into
> different bottles and storing them in different locations. Just a guess.
>
> Pastorio

That's only if the milk and cream haven't been able to play nicely
together....

You guys slay me....<grin>

Janet

Bob Pastorio

Kate Dicey wrote:

> Bob Pastorio wrote:

>>>Well actually it's "Grass in, Milk out". Then you have to separate the
>>>cream.
>>>
>>>How DO they separate the cream?

>>I looked in a book and saw a picture of "cow." They appear to have
>>separate faucets for the milk and cream, although it didn't
>>specifically mention that. It would certainly be logical if they did.
>>Why else have so many outlets?
>>
>>I think they separate the milk and cream by putting them into
>>different bottles and storing them in different locations. Just a guess.
>>
>>Pastorio

> Hehehehehe!
>
> The cream is fattier and floats on top of the milk: it's then skimmed
> off. You need to let it stand for a while for separation to happen.

Don't be silly. Cream is fattening and fat people are heavier than
skinny people. That means it would sink to the bottom.

The logic is irrefutable.

Pastorio

Bob Pastorio

bogus address wrote:

> Bob Pastorio > writes:
>
>>This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream.
>>I'm looking for one or more to buy or trade.

> Is this for 1970s food re-enactments? Soggy de-emulsifying trifle
> by candlelight to commemorate the Three-Day Week?

<LOL> Right. And maybe the new currency that hit about then. I'd
already had a lot of trouble with British money, then they went and
changed it and I had to unlearn it all.

> They turn up in car boot sales occasionally. I'll keep an eye out
> for one, and maybe any of the other British readers of this group
> who regularly frequent car boot sales could do the same.

I don't know the reference "car boot sales" as we don't have "boots"
on American cars. We have "trunks" for some reason. Now that I look,
neither makes much sense. "Trunk" maybe because early cars literally
had trunks on cargo carriers at their rears. I've never heard of a
"car trunk sale" over here

What happens at such sales?

> Do you
> need a Green Lady or Crying Boy picture to go with it?

Either.

Actually the REAL question was about making cream from its components.
That's what I should have asked. Got lots of answers from other places
I posted the question. Whatever happened to the company that made the Bel?

Pastorio

Bob Pastorio

Bryan J. Maloney wrote:

> "Opinicus" > nattered on
> :
>
>>Bob Pastorio > said:
>>
>>>What a cool idea. Grass in, cream out. What will they think of next?

>>Well actually it's "Grass in, Milk out". Then you have to separate the
>>cream.
>>
>>How DO they separate the cream?
>>

> A centrifuge is used, and this method has been used for quite a long time.
> When I was a kid I saw an old-timer demonstrating foot-treadle-powered
> rotary skimmer.

We had an old DeLaval separator for our Guernsey milk when I was a
child. Amazing yellow milk that coated the mouth most silkily. It was
my job to crank the separator on the production of the half-dozen cows
we had.

But I'm sure I never saw my grandfather put grass in either end of the
cows.

Pastorio

Robin Carroll-Mann

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:11:30 -0500, Bob Pastorio >
wrote:

>Don't be silly. Cream is fattening and fat people are heavier than
>skinny people. That means it would sink to the bottom.
>
>The logic is irrefutable.

I refute it!

Cream is richer than milk, and the rich are always on top.

Robin Carroll-Mann
"Mostly Harmless" -- Douglas Adams
To email me, remove the fish
Bob Pastorio

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:11:30 -0500, Bob Pastorio >
> wrote:
>
>>Don't be silly. Cream is fattening and fat people are heavier than
>>skinny people. That means it would sink to the bottom.
>>
>>The logic is irrefutable.

> I refute it!
>
> Cream is richer than milk, and the rich are always on top.

Actually, I suspect the rich have their choice. Sometimes top;
sometimes bottom.

Just a guess.

Pastorio

bogus address

>> They turn up in car boot sales occasionally. I'll keep an eye out
>> for one, and maybe any of the other British readers of this group
>> who regularly frequent car boot sales could do the same.

> I don't know the reference "car boot sales" [...] I've never heard
> of a "car trunk sale" over here
> What happens at such sales?

They're flea markets held in car parks (or areas usable as such) where
most of the sellers arrive in cars or vans and put their sale tables
beside their vehicles. Usually at weekends, often in school playgrounds
or the parking areas beside churches, though the biggest one in Edinburgh
is in a disused bus garage converted into an indoor car park.

They began in the early 1980s and for most people they're one of the few
positive things to have come out of the Thatcher era, not that Thatcher
can claim any credit personally for the idea. They're one of Britain's
major cultural institutions, attended by about as many people as go to
church and Sunday football matches put together.

They're generally vast seas of tat with isolated floating items of the
utterly bizarre. I once saw a radium corset from the 1930s on sale at
one; those things are classed as *high-level* radioactive waste, and
would incur disposal charges accordingly. The simple solution? see if
anybody wants to buy it for a few quid... come to think of it, Thatcher
could have given that seller a peerage for entrepreneurial spirit.

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Alf Christophersen

wrote:

>Don't be silly. Cream is fattening and fat people are heavier than
>skinny people. That means it would sink to the bottom.
>
>The logic is irrefutable.

Haha. Weight is of no interest, but density. Fat is much less dense
than eg. bone and muscle. So a fat person will float much better than
a skinny person in pure water.
After loosing about all fat this spring, I was not able to float at
all afterwards. I just sink to the bottom if I fall in the basin. (I
tried once by accident during training in the basin, even though then
I had increased about 5 kg in weight by forced eating. (Lots of rape
seed oil daily, mixed with vinegar and garlic and some other herbs and
spices, together with salad, tomato and other things). Being back in
weight I float somewhat.
Alf Christophersen

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:47:52 -0500, Bob Pastorio >
wrote:

>Actually, I suspect the rich have their choice. Sometimes top;
>sometimes bottom.

No. The richer in fat, the lower density, and thus it floats to the
top.
Lee Rudolph

Alf Christophersen > writes:

>On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:47:52 -0500, Bob Pastorio >
>wrote:
>
>>Actually, I suspect the rich have their choice. Sometimes top;
>>sometimes bottom.

>No. The richer in fat, the lower density, and thus it floats to the
>top.

In the context to which I believe Bob Pastorio was alluding, fats
are not the only--or even always the prefered--lubricants.

Lee Rudolph

Henriette Kress

Alf Christophersen wrote:
> Bob Pastorio > wrote:
>
>>Actually, I suspect the rich have their choice. Sometimes top;
>>sometimes bottom.

> No. The richer in fat, the lower density, and thus it floats to the
> top.

Alf? That strange sound you just heard was the whoosh bird.

Henriette (oh, and Bob? Ahbou'd.)

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Bryan J. Maloney

Alf Christophersen > nattered on
m:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:11:30 -0500, Bob Pastorio >
> wrote:
>
>>Don't be silly. Cream is fattening and fat people are heavier than
>>skinny people. That means it would sink to the bottom.
>>
>>The logic is irrefutable.

> Haha. Weight is of no interest, but density.

Therefore, I shall float, while the basic mouth-breathing yayhoo will
sink, since he's far more dense than I am.

Bryan J. Maloney

Alf Christophersen > nattered on
m:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:47:52 -0500, Bob Pastorio >
> wrote:
>
>>Actually, I suspect the rich have their choice. Sometimes top;
>>sometimes bottom.

> No. The richer in fat, the lower density, and thus it floats to the
> top.

Actually, the rich are generally quite thin. It's the poor who are obese.
Bob Pastorio

Bryan J. Maloney wrote:
> Alf Christophersen > nattered on
> m:
>
>>On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:11:30 -0500, Bob Pastorio >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Don't be silly. Cream is fattening and fat people are heavier than
>>>skinny people. That means it would sink to the bottom.
>>>
>>>The logic is irrefutable.

>>Haha. Weight is of no interest, but density.

> Therefore, I shall float, while the basic mouth-breathing yayhoo will
> sink, since he's far more dense than I am.

Finally, good science rear's it's head and explain's the whole nine
yard's, metaphorically speaking, and irrespective of grammatical
proscription's.

Wasn't this about synthocream in the 70's?

Pastorio

DOA ice cream maker notbob General Cooking 13 28-06-2008 01:48 AM
Ice Cream Maker [email protected] Cooking Equipment 9 29-01-2005 02:08 AM
ice cream maker Terry General Cooking 8 05-01-2004 01:37 AM
Bel Cream Maker Bob Pastorio Preserving 23 14-12-2003 03:53 AM
Bel Cream Maker Bob Pastorio General Cooking 7 11-12-2003 05:34 PM