Old 13-12-2003, 07:22 PM
Bob Pastorio

Default Bel cream maker

bogus address wrote:

Bob Pastorio writes:

This was a device to emulsify milk and butter back to a cream.
I'm looking for one or more to buy or trade.

Is this for 1970s food re-enactments? Soggy de-emulsifying trifle
by candlelight to commemorate the Three-Day Week?

LOL Right. And maybe the new currency that hit about then. I'd
already had a lot of trouble with British money, then they went and
changed it and I had to unlearn it all.

They turn up in car boot sales occasionally. I'll keep an eye out
for one, and maybe any of the other British readers of this group
who regularly frequent car boot sales could do the same.

I don't know the reference "car boot sales" as we don't have "boots"
on American cars. We have "trunks" for some reason. Now that I look,
neither makes much sense. "Trunk" maybe because early cars literally
had trunks on cargo carriers at their rears. I've never heard of a
"car trunk sale" over here

What happens at such sales?

Do you
need a Green Lady or Crying Boy picture to go with it?

Either.

Actually the REAL question was about making cream from its components.
That's what I should have asked. Got lots of answers from other places
I posted the question. Whatever happened to the company that made the Bel?

Pastorio

Old 13-12-2003, 07:29 PM
Bob Pastorio

Bryan J. Maloney wrote:

"Opinicus" nattered on
:

Bob Pastorio said:

What a cool idea. Grass in, cream out. What will they think of next?

Well actually it's "Grass in, Milk out". Then you have to separate the
cream.

How DO they separate the cream?

A centrifuge is used, and this method has been used for quite a long time.
When I was a kid I saw an old-timer demonstrating foot-treadle-powered
rotary skimmer.

We had an old DeLaval separator for our Guernsey milk when I was a
child. Amazing yellow milk that coated the mouth most silkily. It was
my job to crank the separator on the production of the half-dozen cows
we had.

But I'm sure I never saw my grandfather put grass in either end of the
cows.

Pastorio

Old 14-12-2003, 12:29 AM
Robin Carroll-Mann

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:11:30 -0500, Bob Pastorio
wrote:

Don't be silly. Cream is fattening and fat people are heavier than
skinny people. That means it would sink to the bottom.

The logic is irrefutable.

I refute it!

Cream is richer than milk, and the rich are always on top.

Robin Carroll-Mann
"Mostly Harmless" -- Douglas Adams
To email me, remove the fish
Old 14-12-2003, 03:47 AM
Bob Pastorio

wrote:

Don't be silly. Cream is fattening and fat people are heavier than
skinny people. That means it would sink to the bottom.

The logic is irrefutable.

I refute it!

Cream is richer than milk, and the rich are always on top.

Actually, I suspect the rich have their choice. Sometimes top;
sometimes bottom.

Just a guess.

Pastorio

Old 14-12-2003, 02:34 PM
bogus address

They turn up in car boot sales occasionally. I'll keep an eye out
for one, and maybe any of the other British readers of this group
who regularly frequent car boot sales could do the same.

I don't know the reference "car boot sales" [...] I've never heard
of a "car trunk sale" over here
What happens at such sales?

They're flea markets held in car parks (or areas usable as such) where
most of the sellers arrive in cars or vans and put their sale tables
beside their vehicles. Usually at weekends, often in school playgrounds
or the parking areas beside churches, though the biggest one in Edinburgh
is in a disused bus garage converted into an indoor car park.

They began in the early 1980s and for most people they're one of the few
positive things to have come out of the Thatcher era, not that Thatcher
can claim any credit personally for the idea. They're one of Britain's
major cultural institutions, attended by about as many people as go to
church and Sunday football matches put together.

They're generally vast seas of tat with isolated floating items of the
utterly bizarre. I once saw a radium corset from the 1930s on sale at
one; those things are classed as *high-level* radioactive waste, and
would incur disposal charges accordingly. The simple solution? see if
anybody wants to buy it for a few quid... come to think of it, Thatcher
could have given that seller a peerage for entrepreneurial spirit.

======== Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce ========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.

Old 14-12-2003, 04:56 PM
Alf Christophersen

wrote:

Don't be silly. Cream is fattening and fat people are heavier than
skinny people. That means it would sink to the bottom.

The logic is irrefutable.

Haha. Weight is of no interest, but density. Fat is much less dense
than eg. bone and muscle. So a fat person will float much better than
a skinny person in pure water.
After loosing about all fat this spring, I was not able to float at
all afterwards. I just sink to the bottom if I fall in the basin. (I
tried once by accident during training in the basin, even though then
I had increased about 5 kg in weight by forced eating. (Lots of rape
seed oil daily, mixed with vinegar and garlic and some other herbs and
spices, together with salad, tomato and other things). Being back in
weight I float somewhat.
Old 14-12-2003, 04:56 PM
Alf Christophersen

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:47:52 -0500, Bob Pastorio
wrote:

Actually, I suspect the rich have their choice. Sometimes top;
sometimes bottom.

No. The richer in fat, the lower density, and thus it floats to the
top.
Old 14-12-2003, 05:05 PM
Lee Rudolph

wrote:

Actually, I suspect the rich have their choice. Sometimes top;
sometimes bottom.

No. The richer in fat, the lower density, and thus it floats to the
top.

In the context to which I believe Bob Pastorio was alluding, fats
are not the only--or even always the prefered--lubricants.

Lee Rudolph

Old 14-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Henriette Kress

Alf Christophersen wrote:
Bob Pastorio wrote:

Actually, I suspect the rich have their choice. Sometimes top;
sometimes bottom.

No. The richer in fat, the lower density, and thus it floats to the
top.

Alf? That strange sound you just heard was the whoosh bird.

Henriette (oh, and Bob? Ahbou'd.)

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Old 15-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Bryan J. Maloney

Alf Christophersen nattered on
m:

wrote:

Don't be silly. Cream is fattening and fat people are heavier than
skinny people. That means it would sink to the bottom.

The logic is irrefutable.

Haha. Weight is of no interest, but density.

Therefore, I shall float, while the basic mouth-breathing yayhoo will
sink, since he's far more dense than I am.

Old 15-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Bryan J. Maloney

wrote:

Actually, I suspect the rich have their choice. Sometimes top;
sometimes bottom.

No. The richer in fat, the lower density, and thus it floats to the
top.

Actually, the rich are generally quite thin. It's the poor who are obese.
Old 15-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Bob Pastorio

wrote:

Don't be silly. Cream is fattening and fat people are heavier than
skinny people. That means it would sink to the bottom.

The logic is irrefutable.

Haha. Weight is of no interest, but density.

Therefore, I shall float, while the basic mouth-breathing yayhoo will
sink, since he's far more dense than I am.

Finally, good science rear's it's head and explain's the whole nine
yard's, metaphorically speaking, and irrespective of grammatical
proscription's.

Wasn't this about synthocream in the 70's?

Pastorio

DOA ice cream maker notbob General Cooking 13 28-06-2008 01:48 AM
Ice Cream Maker [email protected] Cooking Equipment 9 29-01-2005 02:08 AM
ice cream maker Terry General Cooking 8 05-01-2004 01:37 AM
Bel Cream Maker Bob Pastorio Preserving 23 14-12-2003 03:53 AM
Bel Cream Maker Bob Pastorio General Cooking 7 11-12-2003 05:34 PM