CMC

Default what is hook cheese ???

I heard a reference to hook cheese while viewing the Food Channel on
making maccaroni and cheese. Does anyone know what hook cheese is?
Opinicus

ConnieG999 > said:

>> I heard a reference to hook cheese while viewing the Food Channel on
>> making maccaroni and cheese. Does anyone know what hook cheese is?

> You probably heard "hoop cheese".

http://tinyurl.com/x6gj

<quote>
Q. What is "hoop cheese"?
A. Hoop cheese (also known as Baker's cheese or pot cheese) is the curd
drained of whey but uncooked or unwashed. If Little Miss Muffet had drained
the whey from her "curds and whey" she would have "sat on her tuffet, eating
her hoop cheese."
</quote>

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Kenneth Coble

"Opinicus" > wrote in message
> ConnieG999 > said:
>
> >> I heard a reference to hook cheese while viewing the Food Channel on
> >> making maccaroni and cheese. Does anyone know what hook cheese is?

> > You probably heard "hoop cheese".

[snip]

Well, I've lurked here a while and this is my first post. Around here
(central North Carolina, USA) hoop cheese is what a lot of older people call
medium to sharp cheddar cheese. There used to be a little country store
nearby where my grandparents would stop and buy 'hoop cheese' and the clerks
would cut a wedge off a big wax-covered wheel (possible source of the 'hoop'
part of the name) of cheddar. When I was a kid it was always sharper than I
liked...

So in regard to the original poster's question, it might help if we knew who
the host of the show was and what the provenance of the recipe was. There's
that older lady from South Carolina who has a show... if it was her, she may
well have meant cheddar cheese. Especially as the OP said it was a
mac'n'cheese recipe, I'd bet on the cheddar. Just my $0.02, and now I'll
re-lurk...

--
Ken Coble

"The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale."

- A.E. Housman, from "Last Poems: IX (The chestnut casts his flambeaux)"

Olivers

Kenneth Coble muttered....

>> > You probably heard "hoop cheese".

> [snip]
>
> Well, I've lurked here a while and this is my first post. Around here
> (central North Carolina, USA) hoop cheese is what a lot of older
> people call medium to sharp cheddar cheese. There used to be a little
> country store nearby where my grandparents would stop and buy 'hoop
> cheese' and the clerks would cut a wedge off a big wax-covered wheel
> (possible source of the 'hoop' part of the name) of cheddar. When I
> was a kid it was always sharper than I liked...
>
> So in regard to the original poster's question, it might help if we
> knew who the host of the show was and what the provenance of the
> recipe was. There's that older lady from South Carolina who has a
> show... if it was her, she may well have meant cheddar cheese.
> Especially as the OP said it was a mac'n'cheese recipe, I'd bet on the
> cheddar. Just my $0.02, and now I'll re-lurk...

Other US perspective....

No way, Jose!

"Cheddar" is a name of late origin given to sort of standard classic yellow
regular cheese in the US. It ain't cheddar or much like (except in some
aged, small batch varieties) what transpondians think of as cheddar.
better we should use names like the humble "Rat trap" or "Longhorn"
(signifying long logs instead of fat wheels) as more descriptive and apt.

In my experience, "hoop" or "Farmer" cheese was the basic "curds minus
whey" product, partially/mostly strained and receiving it's name from
having been packed into a wooden of metal "hoop" (ring) from which aging
might turn into cheese for slicing or grating and other culinary purpose.

Cottage cheese and ricotta may have similar flavors but have either not
been dehydrated to the extent that hoop cheese is (or have had milk solids
and liquid added back, as i suspect storbought cottage cheese does).

TMO

Kenneth Coble

> > Well, I've lurked here a while and this is my first post. Around here
> > (central North Carolina, USA) hoop cheese is what a lot of older
> > people call medium to sharp cheddar cheese. There used to be a little
> > country store nearby where my grandparents would stop and buy 'hoop
> > cheese' and the clerks would cut a wedge off a big wax-covered wheel
> > (possible source of the 'hoop' part of the name) of cheddar. When I
> > was a kid it was always sharper than I liked...
> >
> > So in regard to the original poster's question, it might help if we
> > knew who the host of the show was and what the provenance of the
> > recipe was. There's that older lady from South Carolina who has a
> > show... if it was her, she may well have meant cheddar cheese.
> > Especially as the OP said it was a mac'n'cheese recipe, I'd bet on the
> > cheddar. Just my $0.02, and now I'll re-lurk...
> >

> Other US perspective....
>
> No way, Jose!
>
> "Cheddar" is a name of late origin given to sort of standard classic

yellow
> regular cheese in the US. It ain't cheddar or much like (except in some
> aged, small batch varieties) what transpondians think of as cheddar.
> better we should use names like the humble "Rat trap" or "Longhorn"
> (signifying long logs instead of fat wheels) as more descriptive and apt.
>
> In my experience, "hoop" or "Farmer" cheese was the basic "curds minus
> whey" product, partially/mostly strained and receiving it's name from
> having been packed into a wooden of metal "hoop" (ring) from which aging
> might turn into cheese for slicing or grating and other culinary purpose.
>
> Cottage cheese and ricotta may have similar flavors but have either not
> been dehydrated to the extent that hoop cheese is (or have had milk solids
> and liquid added back, as i suspect storbought cottage cheese does).
>
> TMO

Olivers, are you saying "No way Jose" that no one in the SE United States
uses hoop cheese = yellow cheese? If so, I'll have to disagree with you,
since I've been hearing people call it that for 28 years. However, if
you're saying "that's not the common use of the term, this is," then I'll
happily agree. But what I was saying is that if the host on Food Network
is from this neck of the woods (and one, Paula Deen, is) and especially as
the recipe mentioned was a macaroni and cheese recipe, it seems like the
colloquial use of hoop cheese = yellow cheese (and I also agree that what we
call cheddar would be called cheddar elsewhere) may indeed be what was meant
for this recipe.

However, it's all a little pointless, since the original poster hasn't got
back to anyone so far with who the host was, more details about the recipe
in question, etc. Again, if you were going to make me guess, the 'yellow
cheese' meaning seems to fit most macaroni and cheese styles I know of,
while I haven't had a mac n cheese that would include anything like the
'Farmer's cheese' hoop cheese. A lasagna or something along those lines
might be a better fit for the curds and whey meaning of the term, but as
always, your milage may vary, and actually if anyone has a mac n cheese
recipe that uses that type of cheese I'd love to have it - I sort of collect
mac n cheese recipes, although I mostly use my mom's old recipe.

Anyway, $0.02 more from my corner. BTW, Olivers, what part of the US are
you from? Around here hoop pretty much means yellow, and what you (and lots
of other people) call hoop cheese we call Farmer's cheese. Just curious,
I'm starting to wonder about the geographic distribution of this
terminology...

Thanks,
Ken Coble

Olivers

Kenneth Coble muttered....

> Anyway, $0.02 more from my corner. BTW, Olivers, what part of the US
> are you from? Around here hoop pretty much means yellow, and what you
> (and lots of other people) call hoop cheese we call Farmer's cheese.
> Just curious, I'm starting to wonder about the geographic distribution
> of this terminology...

Central Texas, but have lived and worked over much of the US except for the
Northwest, years of it in Florida. I'd never encountered "hoop" cheese as
anything other than a white "young" cheese, while what you're describing
sort of travels under the Cheddar, Colby, Longhorn or Rat (Trap)
designation (sort of depending on strength of flavor, but even that can
vary and today's US Cheddar is pretty mild "Wisconsin" style except for
gourmet varieties and some places like cabot which mass market sharper
cheese).

In the US, red or black rinds on "Cheddar" used to be indicators of longer
aging, but red seems simply ornamental these days.

TMO
Kenneth Coble

"Olivers" > wrote in message
> Kenneth Coble muttered....
>

> > Anyway, $0.02 more from my corner. BTW, Olivers, what part of the US
> > are you from? Around here hoop pretty much means yellow, and what you
> > (and lots of other people) call hoop cheese we call Farmer's cheese.
> > Just curious, I'm starting to wonder about the geographic distribution
> > of this terminology...
> >

> Central Texas, but have lived and worked over much of the US except for

the
> Northwest, years of it in Florida. I'd never encountered "hoop" cheese as
> anything other than a white "young" cheese, while what you're describing
> sort of travels under the Cheddar, Colby, Longhorn or Rat (Trap)
> designation (sort of depending on strength of flavor, but even that can
> vary and today's US Cheddar is pretty mild "Wisconsin" style except for
> gourmet varieties and some places like cabot which mass market sharper
> cheese).
>
> In the US, red or black rinds on "Cheddar" used to be indicators of longer
> aging, but red seems simply ornamental these days.
>
> TMO

Interesting to know. The cheese we bought at that little store followed the
black rind = sharper rule. And I have heard it called rat-trap cheese
around here. Colby I never really heard that much until the advent of
mass-market Colby Jack cheeses. Longhorn isn't one I've heard around here.
It is interesting to see how people react to true Cheddar cheese when they
have it for the first time. I remember it took me a while to appreciate it,
and while I like it now I still really like a couple of pieces of the
'rattrap' cheese with plain saltine crackers.

It's interesting to trace these different local names for stuff... thanks
for replying. We could probably get a halfway decent new thread out of the
topic... Anyway, I'm off to have dinner, and a big chunk of Maytag Blue
(thereby neatly stepping out of the whole yellow cheese arena!)

Thanks again,
Ken Coble

Olivers

Kenneth Coble muttered....

> It's interesting to trace these different local names for stuff...
> thanks for replying. We could probably get a halfway decent new
> thread out of the topic... Anyway, I'm off to have dinner, and a big
> chunk of Maytag Blue (thereby neatly stepping out of the whole yellow
> cheese arena!)

I still think of the "Black Rind" as , hopefully, sharper. One of the
advantages of a multi-cultural environment is that a number of STexas
dairies now produce passable Mexican cheeses in several varieties fro dry
and crumbly through meltable and the new "fresh' sorts, all a bit different
than to what the standard "store bought" American palate may be used.

"Longhorn" may be a regional term, but usually suggests a Cheddar/Colby
type cheese produced in logs instead of big wheels.

Color - Most American cheeses are "dyed to match" to achieve that glorious
orange glow, and I suspect that the color comes straight from Mexico's
annatto seeds, also apparently used in Chile to supplement the food of farm
raised salmon and steelhead trout. I've been told that the need to color
comes both from customer preference and the composition of dairy cattle
feed in the US, long on makeup from materials which lend no color to dairy
products. Having grown up around cotton, the idea that any beast could be
happy chewing cotton seed cake.....

Being old enough to remember when the milk delivered by our local small
dairy came with a few inches of buttercup yellow cream atop the bottle, I
don't reckon they "bleach" store-bought whipping cream these days.

TMO

TMO
Opinicus

Default Coloring margerine

Frogleg > said:

> I've read that wartime (WWI) oleo
> came with dye pellets to knead in to make the (presumably white) fat
> look more like butter.

Not just during wartime. I remember being regularly given the kneading job
around 1952 or so. I would have been 7-8 years old at the time. The undied
margerine was ghastly white and looked (and tasted) like Crisco. (I remember
trying that too.)

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Diogenes

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:28:55 +0200, "Opinicus" >
wrote:

>Frogleg > said:
>
>> I've read that wartime (WWI) oleo
>> came with dye pellets to knead in to make the (presumably white) fat
>> look more like butter.

>Not just during wartime. I remember being regularly given the kneading job
>around 1952 or so. I would have been 7-8 years old at the time. The undied
>margerine was ghastly white and looked (and tasted) like Crisco. (I remember
>trying that too.)

I recall buying margarine with the separate coloring pellet in a small
Canadian trading post while on a fishing trip ~1960. My mother
commented that she hadn't seen that since the end of WWII.
----
Diogenes )

The wars are long, the peace is frail
The madmen come again . . . .
LIMEYNO1

<Alan > wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:42:58 -0500, Diogenes >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:28:55 +0200, "Opinicus" >
> >wrote:

> >>Not just during wartime. I remember being regularly given the kneading

job
> >>around 1952 or so. I would have been 7-8 years old at the time. The

undied
> >>margerine was ghastly white and looked (and tasted) like Crisco. (I

remember
> >>trying that too.)

> >I recall buying margarine with the separate coloring pellet in a small
> >Canadian trading post while on a fishing trip ~1960. My mother
> >commented that she hadn't seen that since the end of WWII.
> >----
> > Diogenes )
> >
> > The wars are long, the peace is frail
> > The madmen come again . . . .

> We had that stuff when I was a kid, but I don't think the real reason
> was the war. At the time, the dairy producers didn't want margarine
> on the market. While they weren't able to keep it off the market,
> they were able to keep it from being yellow, like butter.
>
> Hence, the dye 'pill'.
>
> This was in Illinois in the middle-to-late '40s.

I remember ours coming in a oblong plastic bag with a dye pellet and my mom
would let us knead it. I hated the stuff!

Never use anything but butter now.

Olivers

muttered....

> We had that stuff when I was a kid, but I don't think the real reason
> was the war. At the time, the dairy producers didn't want margarine
> on the market. While they weren't able to keep it off the market,
> they were able to keep it from being yellow, like butter.
>
> Hence, the dye 'pill'.
>
> This was in Illinois in the middle-to-late '40s.

I don't recall it long after the war in Texas, but margarine's growing
popularity (in no small part due to butter rationing), kept the dye pellets
and "white" margarine alive in some dairy state politics for years after,
IIRC Wisconsin?).

TMO

Opinicus

Olivers > said:

> I don't recall it long after the war in Texas, but margarine's growing
> popularity (in no small part due to butter rationing), kept the dye
> pellets and "white" margarine alive in some dairy state politics for
> years after, IIRC Wisconsin?).

My own experience with it (in 1952) was in Washington. I suppose they have a
cow or two there.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Dr Pepper

I remember in the WWII years when I would knead the oleo and the red
coloring to make it look like butter. I never really liked it after
that, I prefered butter, but we couldn't get it during the war.

I've read that wartime (WWI) oleo
>came with dye pellets to knead in to make the (presumably white) fat
>look more like butter. Are people strange, or what? :-)

Dennis Rekuta

>>We had that stuff when I was a kid, but I don't think the real reason
>>was the war. At the time, the dairy producers didn't want margarine
>>on the market. While they weren't able to keep it off the market,
>>they were able to keep it from being yellow, like butter.
>>
>>Hence, the dye 'pill'.
>>
>>This was in Illinois in the middle-to-late '40s.
>>

> I don't recall it long after the war in Texas, but margarine's growing
> popularity (in no small part due to butter rationing), kept the dye pellets
> and "white" margarine alive in some dairy state politics for years after,
> IIRC Wisconsin?).
>
> TMO

AFAIK, it is still illegal to sell margarine that is coloured like
butter in the province of Quebec. It has to be either an orange yellow
shade or a white shade. They also happen to produce the milk for about
50% of the dairy products made in Canada. Sounds like Wisconsin.

It wasn't until the mid 1980's that all of the margarine brands in
Ontario lost that orange yellow hue and stepped into the second half of
the 20th century.

The last time I saw the white margarine in the plastic bag with the
colour pellet was in cottage country north of Toronto sometime between
1968 and 1970. That was also dairy country around there as well. My
grandmother and my mother both laughed and had to show us how to mix it
up. They both called it oleo margarine.
Dennis

Mike Dilger

Cymru Llewes wrote:

> I suppose that a cow that was fed just carrots would produce an orange
> cheese. Anyone with a cow willing to test the hypothesis?

Carrots, like cheddar cheese, didn't used to be orange. They were cross
bred by the House of Orange in Holland. Original carrots are usually
purple or white.

-Mike

Member

You guys might all be wrong about the answer to this post. Hook's cheese is a company that has been in business for over 35 years. I don't think the author was referring to "Hoop" cheese, even though all the information posted is very interesting.. I believe he/she is trying to find out more about hook cheese...a company located in Wisconsin.
Member

i use always chadder cheese for pizza
it is best type of cheese
No Problem
Member

Hook cheese is company producing cheese. The reason behind the company name hook cheese is that the company is started by the Tony Hook in 1970s at Barneveld. Tony and July had started this cheese company.
Member

I like cheese so much
it is my favorite.so I like also pizza with full of cheese.
free credit report