Old 18-02-2006, 09:44 PM posted to rec.food.historic

Default WW2 London cuisine question

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 19:26:33 +1100, "Bigbazza"
wrote:

A question passes my mind...If you get the recipes..Where will you get you
'Whale' meat these days ?...Whaling is banned in most countries now !

Well, there are still some countries where you may buy it. And,
treated correctly, it is very tasty. Like an ox beef. And taste almost
the same.

But, you have to visit that country. It is not legal to export the
meat to other countries.

Old 18-02-2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.food.historic

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:49:19 +0000, Kate Dicey
wrote:

Almost, though. It swam up the Themes and disrupted central London for
a while. Unfortunately it was unwell and died later.

I don't think I would eat the meat of that one. it's the same as
eating meat from suddenly dead pigs and oxes/cows, dying of some
diseases.

As a child, we had whale meat for dinner quite often. Well treated it
tasted very good. But, it easily started tasting rancid fish oil if
mistreated. :-(

And when in military in 1970, we had fried whale cakes at least once a
week. Never tasted it since. It tastes almost like hamburgers, but a
kind of sweetier tang. (And, I did dislike hamburgers also for the
same reason afterwards. Tasted too alike whale meat cakes :-) (But, a
well made "medisterkake" or "karbonade" made of pure ox meat, I still
like. But, those sold as "hamburgers" containes far too much soy
proteins to make them cheap. :-(
("medisterkaker" and "karbonader" people has to make themselves at
home. Premade are just soy protein cakes with meat alike taste. :-(

Old 21-02-2006, 10:27 AM posted to rec.food.historic

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Alf Christophersen wrote, apropos the whale that
died in the Thames recently:

I don't think I would eat the meat of that one. it's the same as
eating meat from suddenly dead pigs and oxes/cows, dying of some
diseases.

Lucas Bridges would agree. His view was that bulk and blubber kept a dead
whale too warm for too long, so that it putrified quickly and would be
toxic before you found it. Eating beached whales, he reports, was a
known cause of death among the natives of Tierra del Fuego. He is also
interesting on such culinary delights as guanaco brains, and the use of
seal gall in infant nutrition. If you want to know more, seek out his
"Uttermost Part of the Earth".

JW
Edinburgh
Old 21-02-2006, 02:44 PM posted to rec.food.historic

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Alf Christophersen wrote, apropos the whale that
died in the Thames recently:
I don't think I would eat the meat of that one. it's the same as
eating meat from suddenly dead pigs and oxes/cows, dying of some
diseases.

Lucas Bridges would agree. His view was that bulk and blubber kept a dead
whale too warm for too long, so that it putrified quickly and would be
toxic before you found it. Eating beached whales, he reports, was a
known cause of death among the natives of Tierra del Fuego. He is also
interesting on such culinary delights as guanaco brains, and the use of
seal gall in infant nutrition. If you want to know more, seek out his
"Uttermost Part of the Earth".

Which has been reprinted, but look around for the 1960ish Readers'
Union book club edition, still quite common in charity shops in the
UK; they didn't reprint the photos in the paperback and they add
a lot.

The Fuegians had worse problems than food poisoning.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:41 AM posted to rec.food.historic

wrote:

A question passes my mind...If you get the recipes..Where will you get you
'Whale' meat these days ?...Whaling is banned in most countries now !

Well, there are still some countries where you may buy it. And,
treated correctly, it is very tasty. Like an ox beef. And taste almost
the same.

But, you have to visit that country. It is not legal to export the
meat to other countries.

Sorry....Mate..Just saw your reply..I missed it before !
--
Bigbazza (Barry)..Oz

Old 05-03-2006, 09:52 AM posted to rec.food.historic

On Sun 05 Mar 2006 12:41:21a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bigbazza?

!

Well, there are still some countries where you may buy it. And, treated
correctly, it is very tasty. Like an ox beef. And taste almost the
same.

I can't imagine a sea-dwelling creature tasting like ox beef. Their diet
is so totally different. Even cattle fed different diets taste different.

But, you have to visit that country. It is not legal to export the
meat to other countries.

Sorry....Mate..Just saw your reply..I missed it before !

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo
____________________

BIOYA
Old 05-03-2006, 04:20 PM posted to rec.food.historic

wrote:

A question passes my mind...If you get the recipes..Where will you get
you 'Whale' meat these days ?...Whaling is banned in most countries now
!

Well, there are still some countries where you may buy it. And, treated
correctly, it is very tasty. Like an ox beef. And taste almost the
same.

I can't imagine a sea-dwelling creature tasting like ox beef. Their diet
is so totally different. Even cattle fed different diets taste different.

But I'm sorry to say, the only difference is some strings in the meat.
Otherwise, a beef of whale and a beef of ox is extremely alike. Except
that the whale meat piece is very much more tender.
But, it is dependent on how treated before serving. If laying ready
cut for a while, it start to get rancid and will taste like rancid cod
liver oil. The same applies if stored for too long time. Like a week
or so.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.food.historic

On Sun 05 Mar 2006 09:20:49a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Alf
Christophersen?

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but I'll pass. g

--