Historic (rec.food.historic) Discussing and discovering how food was made and prepared way back when--From ancient times down until (& possibly including or even going slightly beyond) the times when industrial revolution began to change our lives.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-11-2005, 12:00 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
D.F. Manno
 
Posts: n/a
Default mammoth meat

In article ,
Walter Traprock wrote:

did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."


Thousands of years of freezer burn ...
--
D.F. Manno |
I'm a thief in the house of love
And I can't be trusted.
-Bruce Springsteen

  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-11-2005, 01:35 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Blinky the Shark
 
Posts: n/a
Default mammoth meat

Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

bill van wrote:

In article ,
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:


bill van wrote:


In article ,
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:



Walter Traprock wrote:



did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of
Russia, meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of
years. there was no comment on the taste of he meat. book:
sea devil's fo'c'sle, by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll
quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in
Siberia out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally
refrigerated for thousands of years. Eating that ancient
mammoth's meat is more common now, but then it was something
new and startling."



I heard that it was good... dunno where that reference came
from


An old girlfriend, perhaps?


you wish, maybe???


Dilbert, for you to go back and edit quoted material -- your
original post, as preserved on everyone's news server, said:


I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came
from


is ****ing dishonest. You don't do that.

bill

I don't know why you're making a big stink over a minor
correction I made. don't see correcting a typo as dishonest.


You changed it. Then you represented the doctored version *as
original*.


--
Blinky
Killing all Google Groups posts.
http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-11-2005, 02:19 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Dilbert Firestorm
 
Posts: n/a
Default mammoth meat

bill van wrote:

In article ,
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:


bill van wrote:


In article ,
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:



Walter Traprock wrote:



did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."



I heard that it was good... dunno where that reference came from


An old girlfriend, perhaps?


you wish, maybe???


Dilbert, for you to go back and edit quoted material -- your original
post, as preserved on everyone's news server, said:


I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came from


is ****ing dishonest. You don't do that.

bill

I don't know why you're making a big stink over a minor correction I
made. don't see correcting a typo as dishonest.

one little ol' letter never hurt anyone anyways...

  #19 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-11-2005, 02:27 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Joseph Michael Bay
 
Posts: n/a
Default mammoth meat

Dilbert Firestorm writes:



I don't know why you're making a big stink over a minor correction I
made. don't see correcting a typo as dishonest.


one little ol' letter never hurt anyone anyways...



Oh yeah? What about the medieval heretical sect that was
founded because a monk mistakeny wrote "The LORD is immoral"?

I mean, they had a good time and all, right up until the
Inquisition, but it didn't work out well for them.

  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-11-2005, 05:37 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
M C Hamster
 
Posts: n/a
Default mammoth meat

"Dilbert Firestorm" wrote in message
...
M C Hamster wrote:


This is taco, except for the important "taco" taco.

what's taco about taco?


Well, you can taco it or you can leave it.

--
M C Hamster "Big Wheel Keep on Turnin'" -- Creedence Clearwater Revival




  #21 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-11-2005, 05:50 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Dilbert Firestorm
 
Posts: n/a
Default mammoth meat

M C Hamster wrote:

"bill van" wrote in message
...

In article ,
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:


bill van wrote:


In article ,
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:



Walter Traprock wrote:



did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to
mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."



I heard that it was good... dunno where that reference came from


An old girlfriend, perhaps?


you wish, maybe???

Dilbert, for you to go back and edit quoted material -- your original
post, as preserved on everyone's news server, said:


I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came from

is ****ing dishonest. You don't do that.



This is true, except for the important "taco" codicil.


what's important about taco?
  #22 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-11-2005, 05:51 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Dilbert Firestorm
 
Posts: n/a
Default mammoth meat

Joseph Michael Bay wrote:

Dilbert Firestorm writes:




I don't know why you're making a big stink over a minor correction I
made. don't see correcting a typo as dishonest.


one little ol' letter never hurt anyone anyways...



Oh yeah? What about the medieval heretical sect that was
founded because a monk mistakeny wrote "The LORD is immoral"?

I mean, they had a good time and all, right up until the
Inquisition, but it didn't work out well for them.


after its been corrected??????
  #23 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-11-2005, 06:11 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
bill van
 
Posts: n/a
Default mammoth meat

In article ,
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

bill van wrote:


I heard that it was good... dunno where that reference came from

An old girlfriend, perhaps?

you wish, maybe???


Dilbert, for you to go back and edit quoted material -- your original
post, as preserved on everyone's news server, said:

I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came from


is ****ing dishonest. You don't do that.

bill

I don't know why you're making a big stink over a minor correction I
made. don't see correcting a typo as dishonest.

one little ol' letter never hurt anyone anyways...


Sorry, no joke. The subject material wasn't serious. But like many posts
here, my response was a riff on an obvious typo. For you to pretend you
never made the typo by fixing it in your subsequent response is
dishonest. It violates a basic trust we need to be able to talk to each
other in this forum.

bill
  #25 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-11-2005, 07:42 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Dilbert Firestorm
 
Posts: n/a
Default mammoth meat

bill van wrote:

In article ,
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:


bill van wrote:


I heard that it was good... dunno where that reference came from


An old girlfriend, perhaps?


you wish, maybe???

Dilbert, for you to go back and edit quoted material -- your original
post, as preserved on everyone's news server, said:


I heard that i was good... dunno where that reference came from

is ****ing dishonest. You don't do that.

bill


I don't know why you're making a big stink over a minor correction I
made. don't see correcting a typo as dishonest.

one little ol' letter never hurt anyone anyways...


Sorry, no joke. The subject material wasn't serious. But like many posts
here, my response was a riff on an obvious typo. For you to pretend you
never made the typo by fixing it in your subsequent response is
dishonest. It violates a basic trust we need to be able to talk to each
other in this forum.

bill

ok,

I was thoughtless in fixing that typo.

prolly should have left alone, but I didn't think anyone would make a
big whoo-ha over a letter, least all from you!

calling someone dishonest & lying is really going too far with that
insinuation and over a god damn letter!






  #26 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-11-2005, 05:08 PM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Charles Wm. Dimmick
 
Posts: n/a
Default mammoth meat

Bob Ward wrote:

The monk came out of the archives, his face ashen.".... the word was
CelebRate...."


Which joke never worked for me, knowing full well that
being celibate was never a requirement before the Council
of Trent. And even there, although "caelibatus" is in the
Latin of the proceedings, as is also the word "celebratus",
there would be no way to confuse the two in context.

Charles
  #27 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-11-2005, 11:04 PM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Charles Gifford
 
Posts: n/a
Default mammoth meat


"Walter Traprock" wrote in message
...
did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."


One of my uncles ate mammoth meat they had uncovered...I think in Alaska but
it could have been Canada. This would have been in the early part of the
20th century. He said it was not very good eating. I still have a few bits
of tusk from that animal that he carved into tie clasps and such things.

Charlie


  #28 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-11-2005, 02:00 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Charles Wm. Dimmick
 
Posts: n/a
Default mammoth meat

Joseph Michael Bay wrote:

"Charles Wm. Dimmick" writes:


Bob Ward wrote:



The monk came out of the archives, his face ashen.".... the word was


CelebRate...."



Which joke never worked for me, knowing full well that
being celibate was never a requirement before the Council
of Trent. And even there, although "caelibatus" is in the
Latin of the proceedings, as is also the word "celebratus",
there would be no way to confuse the two in context.



Never worked for me because "celebrate" is a verb. What
would it say, "priests have to remain celebrate"? Durr.


For more on celibacy within the Church, see:

http://www.cbcisite.com/Celibacyincatholicchurch.htm

Charles
  #29 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-11-2005, 04:14 AM posted to alt.fan.cecil-adams,rec.food.historic
Tim Wright
 
Posts: n/a
Default mammoth meat

Walter Traprock wrote:
did people use to eat mammoth meat early last century? i've
just read about being served mammoth meat by the Czar of Russia,
meat dug up that's been frozen for thousands of years. there was
no comment on the taste of he meat. book: sea devil's fo'c'sle,
by lowell thomas (1929). OK, i'll quote all of it relating to mammoth:

"and then there was mammoth's meat. It had been dug up in Siberia
out of the ice, where it had been kept naturally refrigerated
for thousands of years. Eating that ancient mammoth's meat is
more common now, but then it was something new and startling."


Every time I read this subject line, my mind precedes it with, "Great
green gobs of greasy, grimey, gopher guts".

--

Tim W

This mind intentionally left blank.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mystery solved: Explorers Club meal wasnt woolly mammoth Travis McGee General Cooking 2 04-02-2016 01:31 AM
Is there a way to slice meat thinly as luncheon meat at home? Danny D.[_3_] General Cooking 110 09-05-2015 09:06 PM
The Meat-Free Life - Five Reasons to Be a Vegetarian and Ten Arguments Against Eating Meat - Hinduism Today Magazine Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Vegan 1 22-10-2013 10:04 PM
Future Food - Cultured meat or vegetarian meat instead of billions of animals in industrial factory farms? Mymagic Vegan 2 09-07-2007 09:57 AM
Shredded Beef Taco Meat? Or Burrito Meat? The Spaminator General Cooking 19 06-11-2006 07:18 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017