Posted to rec.food.historic
Bob (this one)

Default Rinkum diddy

Anybody ever heard of it?

I was asked to come up with a recipe for it. Never heard of it.

Supposedly a kind of stew, goulash dish based on tomato puree.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.historic
Robin Carroll-Mann

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:10:19 -0400, "Bob (this one)" >
wrote:

>Anybody ever heard of it?
>
>I was asked to come up with a recipe for it. Never heard of it.
>
>Supposedly a kind of stew, goulash dish based on tomato puree.
>
>Pastorio

A Google search on "rinkum" brought up hits for "rinkum tiddy" and
"rinktum tiddy" and several similar names. A quick look at some of
the hits reveals that it's a primarily New England dish, a
cheese-tomato-onion combination served over toast.
http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/dare/newslettersept98.htm

Okay, here's a historic recipe. Cornell University has, as part of
its online home economics archive, page images of "Good Housekeeping's
Book of Menus, Recipes, and Household Discoveries", copyright 1922.
Rinktum Tiddy appears in two of the sample luncheon menus in the book.
A recipe for it, contributed by someone in Concord, Massachussetts,
appears on page 83.

Here's a link to the main page of the archive:
http://hearth.library.cornell.edu/h/hearth/index.html

Robin Carroll-Mann
"Mostly Harmless" -- Douglas Adams
To email me, remove the fish
Posted to rec.food.historic
Bob (this one)

Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:10:19 -0400, "Bob (this one)" >
> wrote:
>
>>Anybody ever heard of it?
>>I was asked to come up with a recipe for it. Never heard of it.
>>Supposedly a kind of stew, goulash dish based on tomato puree.
>>Pastorio

> A Google search on "rinkum" brought up hits for "rinkum tiddy" and
> "rinktum tiddy" and several similar names. A quick look at some of
> the hits reveals that it's a primarily New England dish, a
> cheese-tomato-onion combination served over toast.
> http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/dare/newslettersept98.htm

With many other variations on the name, I've since been shown. Rum Tum
Tiddy or Diddy, etc... Rinkum Diddy or Tiddy. And even Rinkim Diddley.
All variations on the same basic theme.

Phonics were big back a little while, I guess...

> Okay, here's a historic recipe. Cornell University has, as part of
> its online home economics archive, page images of "Good Housekeeping's
> Book of Menus, Recipes, and Household Discoveries", copyright 1922.
> Rinktum Tiddy appears in two of the sample luncheon menus in the book.
> A recipe for it, contributed by someone in Concord, Massachussetts,
> appears on page 83.
>
> Here's a link to the main page of the archive:
> http://hearth.library.cornell.edu/h/hearth/index.html

Thanks, Robin. I appreciate it.

Pastorio