o8TY

Default Blanching of plants whilst still growing in ground

I am looking for ancient Greek or Roman references to the blanching of
plants whilst still growing in ground.

I know this was done for celery and asparagus but have yet to find exact
references/quotations.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Kate Dicey

o8TY wrote:

> I am looking for ancient Greek or Roman references to the blanching of
> plants whilst still growing in ground.
>
> I know this was done for celery and asparagus but have yet to find exact
> references/quotations.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

As far as I remember, it has nowt to do with cooking! You pile the
earth up round the stems of things like leeks and celery and asparagus
to keep them tender and pale. My dad was an avid gardener, son of a
professional, and this is what he was taught to do. This is why things
like this used to be grown in raised beds. The plants were grown in
half filled beds, early in the season, and then as they grew, the beds
were filled up, covering the new growth of stem to keep the light from
it. It was referred to as blanching in some areas.

Here's a bit more about it:
http://www.innvista.com/health/foods...les/aspara.htm

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Opinicus

"Kate Dicey" > wrote

> Here's a bit more about it:
> http://www.innvista.com/health/foods...les/aspara.htm

That is a very informative site. Thanks for the link, Kate.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

o8TY

"Kate Dicey" > wrote in message
> o8TY wrote:
>
> > I am looking for ancient Greek or Roman references to the blanching of
> > plants whilst still growing in ground.
> >
> > I know this was done for celery and asparagus but have yet to find exact
> > references/quotations.
> >
> > Any help greatly appreciated.
> >

> As far as I remember, it has nowt to do with cooking! You pile the
> earth up round the stems of things like leeks and celery and asparagus
> to keep them tender and pale. My dad was an avid gardener, son of a
> professional, and this is what he was taught to do. This is why things
> like this used to be grown in raised beds. The plants were grown in
> half filled beds, early in the season, and then as they grew, the beds
> were filled up, covering the new growth of stem to keep the light from
> it. It was referred to as blanching in some areas.
>
> Here's a bit more about it:
> http://www.innvista.com/health/foods...les/aspara.htm

Yes my query has nothing to do with cooking, but with making certain plants
turn white by deliberately reducing their exposure to light.

Ultimately I am hoping the references/quotations will relate to the colour
scheme of the Corinthian capital invented around 450BCE.

I have read what the Roman writers Pliny and Cato say on the matter, but am
looking for more, especially the earlier Greek sources such as Theophrastus
or Aristoteles.

William Wagner

In article >, "o8TY" >
wrote:

> "Kate Dicey" > wrote in message
> > o8TY wrote:
> >
> > > I am looking for ancient Greek or Roman references to the blanching of
> > > plants whilst still growing in ground.
> > >
> > > I know this was done for celery and asparagus but have yet to find exact
> > > references/quotations.
> > >
> > > Any help greatly appreciated.
> > >

> > As far as I remember, it has nowt to do with cooking! You pile the
> > earth up round the stems of things like leeks and celery and asparagus
> > to keep them tender and pale. My dad was an avid gardener, son of a
> > professional, and this is what he was taught to do. This is why things
> > like this used to be grown in raised beds. The plants were grown in
> > half filled beds, early in the season, and then as they grew, the beds
> > were filled up, covering the new growth of stem to keep the light from
> > it. It was referred to as blanching in some areas.
> >
> > Here's a bit more about it:
> > http://www.innvista.com/health/foods...les/aspara.htm
> >

> Yes my query has nothing to do with cooking, but with making certain plants
> turn white by deliberately reducing their exposure to light.
>
> Ultimately I am hoping the references/quotations will relate to the colour
> scheme of the Corinthian capital invented around 450BCE.
>
> I have read what the Roman writers Pliny and Cato say on the matter, but am
> looking for more, especially the earlier Greek sources such as Theophrastus
> or Aristoteles.

Cauliflower yet another food that enjoys less light that humans play
with.

Bill

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade
--> http://www.ocutech.com/ For vision problems

Lazarus Cooke

In article >, o8TY >

> Yes my query has nothing to do with cooking, but with making certain plants
> turn white by deliberately reducing their exposure to light.
>
> Ultimately I am hoping the references/quotations will relate to the colour
> scheme of the Corinthian capital invented around 450BCE.

There\s a v good book on ancient greek food called 'fishcakes and
courtesans' (or the other way round) by James Davidson. It might be
worth getting in touch with him. Last time I was in touch he was at
Birkbeck College in the university of london.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address
o8TY

"Lazarus Cooke" > wrote in message
om...
> In article >, o8TY >
> >

> > Yes my query has nothing to do with cooking, but with making certain

plants
> > turn white by deliberately reducing their exposure to light.
> >
> > Ultimately I am hoping the references/quotations will relate to the

colour
> > scheme of the Corinthian capital invented around 450BCE.

> There\s a v good book on ancient greek food called 'fishcakes and
> courtesans' (or the other way round) by James Davidson. It might be
> worth getting in touch with him. Last time I was in touch he was at
> Birkbeck College in the university of london.
>
> Lazarus

Thanks - I've found my local library has an available copy.

Another ancient Greek text I have yet to check is the Deipnosophists
(Sophisticated Dining??) by Athenaeus of Naucratis.

OT..OT..Whilst you are Waiting for the Roast to be Ready!.... Bigbazza[_9_] General Cooking 0 03-06-2008 06:17 AM
Blanching Ken Knecht General Cooking 25 07-04-2006 11:38 PM
Blanching Questions. [email protected] Preserving 1 02-10-2005 03:40 AM
Blanching of plants whilst still growing in ground o8TY Recipes 0 11-03-2005 05:49 PM
Whilst shopping for wine... lloyd Wine 27 14-08-2004 01:54 PM