Richard Wright

Default What is origin of name Salad-Magunday

Mary Kettilby's book of receipts (3rd ed. of 1724) has a recipe with
the title "To make a Cold Hash, or Salad-Magunday".

Can't find word 'Magunday' on the web or in OED.

Any suggestions about its origin?
Jack Campin - bogus address

> Mary Kettilby's book of receipts (3rd ed. of 1724) has a recipe
> with the title "To make a Cold Hash, or Salad-Magunday".
> Can't find word 'Magunday' on the web or in OED.
> Any suggestions about its origin?

Salmagundi. I seem to remember it's from Tamil, but my 1st ed. OED
only traces it back to a 17th century French word it says is obscure.

<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975
Christophe Bachmann

Jack Campin wrote :

>> Mary Kettilby's book of receipts (3rd ed. of 1724) has a recipe
>> with the title "To make a Cold Hash, or Salad-Magunday".
>> Can't find word 'Magunday' on the web or in OED.
>> Any suggestions about its origin?

> Salmagundi. I seem to remember it's from Tamil, but my 1st ed. OED
> only traces it back to a 17th century French word it says is obscure.

Ok, that one comes from the french 'salmigondis' which comes from Old Frech
'salemine' (salt) and Latin 'condire' (to season). It was used for a stew
made of various leftover meats, but under Louis XIV it designed a potluck
dinner. It is now only used figuratively and pejoratively in the sense of
'hodgepodge'. Of course the etymology could be false but it gives a
direction for research.

Hope this helps,

--
Salutations, greetings,
Guiraud Belissen, Chteau du Ciel, Drachenwald

ASmith1946

>Mary Kettilby's book of receipts (3rd ed. of 1724) has a recipe with
>the title "To make a Cold Hash, or Salad-Magunday".

Richard:

Do you know if this recipe is also in the first edition?

Salmagundi was a composed salad thought to have originated in either France or
Italy in the sixteenth century. A reference to the dish salmigondin is found in
a French text dated 1546. As noted in the OED, Thomas Blount in 1674 reported
that it was an Italian "dish of meat made of cold Turkey and other
ingredients."

Andy Smith
Mark Zanger

>> It is now only used figuratively and pejoratively in the sense of
'hodgepodge'. <<

Oh no, you can still eat Soloman Gundy in the Caribbean, where it is a salad
based on pickled fish. A jarred version is in the ethnic section of Boston
supermarkets. The word may also have transformed itself to the American
catch-all stew "Slumgullion," and thence to "Mulligan Stew." -- both living
dishes as well.

--
-Mark H. Zanger
author, The American History Cookbook, The American Ethnic Cookbook for

Christophe Bachmann

In ,
Mark Zanger wrote :

>>> It is now only used figuratively and pejoratively in the sense of
>>> 'hodgepodge'. <<

> Oh no, you can still eat Soloman Gundy in the Caribbean, where it is
> a salad based on pickled fish. A jarred version is in the ethnic
> section of Boston supermarkets. The word may also have transformed
> itself to the American catch-all stew "Slumgullion," and thence to
> "Mulligan Stew." -- both living dishes as well.

Just to clarify, the word I (Chris CII, not Mark Zanger) wrote about was
the french word 'salmigondis' of which the salad magunday and other dishes
derive.

Food origin Ken[_9_] General Cooking 10 24-09-2008 06:08 PM
origin of booze? RichD Wine 14 19-07-2008 06:32 AM
Origin of Quotation ? Mervyn Carter[_2_] Vegan 2 11-04-2008 11:57 PM
Does The Sloppy Joe Have An Origin? CRCoupons.com General Cooking 49 26-09-2005 03:25 PM
The origin of pizza Daniel Barbecue 6 24-01-2005 01:54 AM