Richard Wright

Default earliest use tikka masala

The OED newsletter is asking for information about the published use
in English of the phrase tikka masala. They are looking for its use
before 1975.

It is not the use of the word tikka on its own that they are looking
for.

If anyone can cite a use before 1975 then I can pass it on to the
editors of the newsletter.

balms

Richard Wright wrote:
> The OED newsletter is asking for information about the published use
> in English of the phrase tikka masala. They are looking for its use
> before 1975.
>
> It is not the use of the word tikka on its own that they are looking
> for.
>
> If anyone can cite a use before 1975 then I can pass it on to the
> editors of the newsletter.

yes?
balms

Richard Wright wrote:
> The OED newsletter is asking for information about the published use
> in English of the phrase tikka masala. They are looking for its use
> before 1975.
>
> It is not the use of the word tikka on its own that they are looking
> for.
>
> If anyone can cite a use before 1975 then I can pass it on to the
> editors of the newsletter.

yes?
Richard Wright

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:51:00 -0500, balms >
wrote:

>Richard Wright wrote:
>> The OED newsletter is asking for information about the published use
>> in English of the phrase tikka masala. They are looking for its use
>> before 1975.
>>
>> It is not the use of the word tikka on its own that they are looking
>> for.
>>
>> If anyone can cite a use before 1975 then I can pass it on to the
>> editors of the newsletter.
>>

>yes?

well?

so, if they're not looking for the word "tikka" they are looking at the word
masala???????

masala is a sanskrit word you can find in the RAMAYANA and it means the
ingredients used to make a sauce or powder used in a particular dish...such
as garam masala is a combination of powdered ingredients combined to make a
'whole' which can be used in dishes.

i'd say the word 'masala' is about as ancient as a cooking term can be!!

> From: Richard Wright >
> Newsgroups: rec.food.historic
> Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:20:44 +1100
> Subject: earliest use tikka masala
>
> The OED newsletter is asking for information about the published use
> in English of the phrase tikka masala. They are looking for its use
> before 1975.
>
> It is not the use of the word tikka on its own that they are looking
> for.
>
> If anyone can cite a use before 1975 then I can pass it on to the
> editors of the newsletter.

Richard Wright

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:43:16 +0100, "Christophe Bachmann"

wrote :

>> so, if they're not looking for the word "tikka" they are looking at
>> the word masala???????
>>

>AFAIK they are looking not for tikka alone, not for masala alone, but the
>group 'tikka masala' together.
>
>> masala is a sanskrit word you can find in the RAMAYANA and it means
>> the ingredients used to make a sauce or powder used in a particular
>> dish...such as garam masala is a combination of powdered ingredients
>> combined to make a 'whole' which can be used in dishes.
>>
>> i'd say the word 'masala' is about as ancient as a cooking term can
>> be!!
>>

>>> From: Richard Wright >
>>> Newsgroups: rec.food.historic
>>> Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:20:44 +1100
>>> Subject: earliest use tikka masala
>>>
>>> The OED newsletter is asking for information about the published use
>>> in English of the phrase tikka masala. They are looking for its use
>>> before 1975.
>>>
>>> It is not the use of the word tikka on its own that they are looking
>>> for.
>>>
>>> If anyone can cite a use before 1975 then I can pass it on to the
>>> editors of the newsletter.

As I said in my original post, they are looking for the earliest
published use of the *phrase in English*.