FoodBanter.com

-   Historic (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/)
-   -   Italian food before pasta and tomatoes (https://www.foodbanter.com/historic/452392-re-italian-food-before.html)

Rob M 19-10-2020 11:09 AM

Italian food before pasta and tomatoes

On Wednesday, September 11, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Ian Menzies wrote:
A few of us at work were wondering about what people in Italy ate before
the introduction of pasta? As I recall, both pasta and pizza were
brought back to Italy by Marco Polo during the middle-ages.
I have also heard that the tomatoe was native to the Americas and was
introduced to Europe after 1492. What was served on pasta before
tomatoes arrived? Lots of pesto? Cream sauces?
Any answers will be appreciated.